SASS Wire Forum

Your favorite Hollywierd horse

Steel is my favorite.

A little info about him.

The horse that Ben Johnson rode in this film was a famous movie horse used by many stars in many 1940s and 1950s westerns. It was a big sorrel stallion called "Steel" and was owned by Johnson's father-in-law, Clarence "Fat" Jones, who ran one of the most successful horse-renting stables in Hollywood. The horse, which was known for being very quiet but flashy, was ridden by John Wayne in Tall in the Saddle (1944) and The Conqueror (1956), Gregory Peck in Yellow Sky (1948) and Randolph Scott in The Tall T (1957). The horse made stars look like good riders and Fat Jones always insisted if "Steel" was used in a movie, the company hire every other horse used in the movie from his stable, so "Steel" was worth a fortune to him. "Steel" had his own double and the horse that Johnson rides in the galloping scenes was not "Steel" but a spectacular galloper called "Bingo". "Steel" was no movie prima donna, however. Johnson also rode him when he won his world champion calf roping title. He also rode both "Steel" and "Bingo" in Wagon Master (1950). However, there are reports that the horse Ben Johnson rode in Tie a Yellow Ribbon was called, "Laddie", who knows.

All joking aside, I'd say Secretariat!!  He appeared in three television sports spectaculars, had a movie about him in which shots from his races were shown,and is still, in my mind, perhaps the greatest thoroughbred EVER!!!

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

However, there are reports that the horse Ben Johnson rode in Tie a Yellow Ribbon was called, "Laddie", who knows

Well, it was just YELLOW RIBBON, not TIE A YELLOW RIBBON (that was a Tony Orlando song). And when the Indians was chasing him, and he went galloping up and jumped the gorge, he told the horse that they needed to get it in gear, and he called the horse by name. He called him Laddie.

Edit: okay, so it was SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. It still wasn't tie a yellow ribbon. :P

58 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

unnamed.jpg

That's cruel Larson. 

Toss up between the two horses jim rides in man from snowy river.   

I'm glad my horses can't read or my butt would be sore if they knew

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

unnamed.jpg

2 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

That's cruel Larson. 

Why? I thought all cowboys wanted a quarter horse.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

GROAN!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Perfect set up.....you are an evil, evil man....I like you

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Larson knows

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, it was just YELLOW RIBBON, not TIE A YELLOW RIBBON (that was a Tony Orlando song). And when the Indians was chasing him, and he went galloping up and jumped the gorge, he told the horse that they needed to get it in gear, and he called the horse by name. He called him Laddie.

Edit: okay, so it was SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON. It still wasn't tie a yellow ribbon. :P

Laddie is a beautiful horse sure footed and a pretty runer.  Of course it really helps that Ben Johnson can really ride.  Another neat thing about Laddie  all that running and hasn't broken a sweat.

We shot on one of those at Mule Camp in 2002!!! Hilarious!:lol:

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

these only cost a quarter to feed ........

unnamed.jpg

;)

On 8/16/2021 at 6:36 AM, Go West said:

Clint Eastwood's grey in Pale Rider

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This one.

Archived