SASS Wire Forum

Another I Look Forward to Seeing Again at the Rainbow Bridge

DocWard

I'm only barely able to write about it now, and not with dry eyes. Our Jack Russell Terrier, Olive, crossed the Rainbow Bridge yesterday, in a special room at the vet's, being held by her person, Mrs. Doc. We got her as the runt of a litter late in 2007, so Mrs. Doc could have a dog smaller than our Aussie at the time, to keep her company and be a lap dog while I was deployed in 2008. Her name came about because she looked like the dog Olive in the children's book, Olive, the Other Reindeer. She seemed to have two speeds, full speed, when it was hard to get a picture, and snoozing in the sun.

60495730657__09FEA042-E1C4-431A-BAF2-C701676CDD1F.thumb.JPG.de1c9c1f502be797288b40646cff424a.JPG

I missed most of her puppy time, and she was very suspicious when I made it home in 2009. It actually took a lot of work for her to warm up to me, but eventually she did, even though she was as much of a one person dog as I have ever seen. She was most content when Mrs. Doc was around. In her last days, she wanted most to be around Mrs. Doc, even if she didn't feel well.

IMG_1384.thumb.JPG.386da5710b7b9659178e1caec0565898.JPG

Like any Jack Russell, she was high energy, stubborn, ready to take on all challengers, but playful and sweet as could be. In her final weeks, it warmed my heart that she still wanted to play with her old, chewed up and worn out frisbee. Once she could no longer chase it, she still wanted to play tug of war with it. This is her in better days with it. Her better days, not the frisbee.

1734272702_IMG_13162.thumb.JPG.62143d8941ca6405005899a4a70cb2a4.JPG

This is how I want to remember her, along with running full out, with her ears back. If that wouldn't make a person smile, I would not entertain that person's company. She will be missed. 

Oh, this is so sad.  Dang it, Doc.

Give Mrs Doc our hugs of sympathy. 

Nothing is more loving than tenderly holding a loyal best friend in your arms during his final moment.

Godspeed, Olive.

9 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, this is so sad.  Dang it, Doc.

Give Mrs Doc our hugs of sympathy. 

Nothing is more loving than tenderly holding a loyal best friend in your arms during his final moment.

Godspeed, Olive.

I agree.  It was hard to be there for their last moments but I figured they had been there for me during my hard times.  The least I could do was to be there for them during their hard times.

“Oh Buddhas & Bodhisattvas of the ten directions and the three times,
Please protect and guide Olive on her journey.
May she be free from fear and clinging to this life.
May she have a favourite rebirth.”

50 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

“Oh Buddhas & Bodhisattvas of the ten directions and the three times,
Please protect and guide Olive on her journey.
May she be free from fear and clinging to this life.
May she have a favourite rebirth.”

Thank you, I appreciate it. Although I think dogs like Olive are pretty high on the rebirth hierarchy. 

Condolences,Doc:(

We've got a min-pin chihuahua that's just about to the end of his ride. He was my SIL's originally, but we took care of him more than she did. He's 18 years now, a grumpy toothless, arthritic old man. Have to carry him up and down the steps and you'd think he had ripped my hands to shreds to hear him first thing in the  morning at potty time. He was the runt of his litter,too.:blush:

Olive bears a strong resemblance to our Salty-dog.
Salty crossed Bifrost in July.
I was a wreck.
They are family, and we mourn them as such.
We grieve because we have loved, and we grieve hard because we have loved deeply.
I doubt me not we'll see them all again.
My hand on your shoulder, my friend.

Archived