SASS Wire Forum

WTB - 45 Cowboy Special Brass

Squ1d Vicious

Looking to get 300-500 cases.  Let me know if you are willing to part with any.  Prefer actual Cowboy Special brass over cut down 45LC.

Thanks.

Squid Vicious

I posted looking for some last week and no one seemed to have any for sale. I ordered some from starline but they are on backorder. 

Good luck with your search. 

If starline accepted a back order on it they have been filling them within a couple of weeks.  If they aren't going to fill it they don't offer it to be back ordered. 

1 hour ago, Squ1d Vicious said:

Prefer actual Cowboy Special brass over cut down 45LC.

Thanks.

Squid Vicious

The strange thing I’ve experienced is that my cut down 45 Colt cases have less loss due to case cracks than actual C45s ( 45 Cowboy)  . It doesn’t seem to matter what head stamp is on the cutdown case is, they last a bit longer!

25 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

If starline accepted a back order on it they have been filling them within a couple of weeks.  If they aren't going to fill it they don't offer it to be back ordered. 

Not necessarily. I've had cowboy spl backordered since 5/18.

16 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

The strange thing I’ve experienced is that my cut down 45 Colt cases have less loss due to case cracks than actual C45s ( 45 Cowboy)  . It doesn’t seem to matter what head stamp is on the cutdown case is, they last a bit longer!

Interesting.  Maybe I'll try that.  45LC brass much easier to come by.  I have lost some of the C45's  after the first loading.

11 hours ago, levi littleton said:

I have a back order in for 44-40 and 38-40 that is 5 months old at Starline.   Couple of weeks is not my experience in the last year plus.

That said I also have  some once fired Starline 45 Cowboy Special I'll sell.  $200 for 500 cases delivered CONUS.

Wow!!  gouge much?  Ill pass

"I have lost some of the C45's  after the first loading."

Suspect you are belling the cases too much or crimping too hard or both if so.    I've not had that problem and been shooting the brass since Adirondack Jack brought it out.  Then Miss Cubby and finally Starline itself.  Not cut any 45 Colt down but don't doubt the comment of longevity.   If you put that much effort into shooting a short 45, I'd be very gentle with the brass.   If C45 Spl cases were cracking I'd anneal them. 

I am still buying brass, bullets, powder and primers as needed.  If you think I am gouging you obviously haven't bought any of them yourself recently.   Name the typical cowboy case any of us use and I have paid more $ for fewer cases recently.   I am still patiently waiting for my own Starline back orders, they will eventually show up.  Also noted their prices are increasing as well between back order quotes and current prices.    Good luck to you.  

Starline currently asks $141.50 for 500,  in C45Spl.  with free delver.   And as of this morning Starline has no clue when they might run it again.

My wife shoots C45S ammo, and I have rarely lost a case during reloading.  Certainly way fewer cases than the 44-40 I load. Big difference in case thickness.

By cutting down ,45 Colt, you're using the thicker part of the case.

I've been using the same

"Home-made" C45S cases for several shooting seasons,and I don't think I've lost more than a couple due to splits.

I havent lost many factory

( Starline) cases due to splits either.

My loads are not "mouse fart" loads, but they're not "wart-hogs" either.

Of course , YMMV.

Choctaw

Archived