SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Cattleman Pistols

Buckshot Bear

Uberti's are fine. I don't care for the feel of Rugers but they are tanks. I've been shooting Uberti's for 20 years. I had one trigger return spring break and that's it.

There's someone on the wire here that just posted about a transfer bar breaking in a Vaquero so they're not indestructible either.

Uberti's have the "feel" of a Colt, Rugers don't. Just MHO 

11 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

coil action

uberti's balance nicer than Rugers for sure... that said, I switched to SASS Vaqueros as my main pistols and so far everytime they went bang... with my el patrons - I had some issues with timing - firing pin strikes off center... to the smith they will go

You want to shoot high pressure loads go with old model Vaqueros, if you only want to shoot standard or cowboy loads go with the one that fells the best in your hand.  I like the Colt clones but used Ruger for several years in .44-40 as I loaded max black powder with 200 gr bullets.

15 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

How do the Uberti Cattleman Pistols compare to Vaqueros?

With all due respect - they don't.

Totally different feel - weight, balance and grip.

As for reliability - see above.

I started the game with a pair of Uberti Cattlemen. Shot them for a year or so and switched to a pair of SASS Vaqueros. For me, the balance of the Rugers felt better in my hands and I shoot them better. The feller that bought my Uberti's loves them and shoots them very well. In reality both are modern well made firearms and will give you good service with little trouble. To me it boils down to which design fits your hands best or if you want to stay true to the pure SAA design. Try both, if you can, and see which you prefer.

19 minutes ago, Doc X said:

I started the game with a pair of Uberti Cattlemen. Shot them for a year or so and switched to a pair of SASS Vaqueros. For me, the balance of the Rugers felt better in my hands and I shoot them better. The feller that bought my Uberti's loves them and shoots them very well. In reality both are modern well made firearms and will give you good service with little trouble. To me it boils down to which design fits your hands best or if you want to stay true to the pure SAA design. Try both, if you can, and see which you prefer.

Excellent!! +1000 to Doc X

I'll go with the Chief on this

19 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

How do the Uberti Cattleman Pistols compare to Vaqueros?

Used and abused mine for 13 years and still going strong.

Just did this, this morning. Waiting for enough daylight for the Chronograph to work properly. Never intended to publish this data video ;-)

Incidentally, 44-40 with 1,007fps loads

Thanks for the replies all, we have a lot of folks in our club that are really interesting in taking up CAS, there's a big $$$ difference in Australia between a pair of Vaqueros and a pair of Uberti Cattlemans.

Just trying to gather information so that when folks ask me should they buy Uberti Cattlemans because that's what they can afford I can hopefully give them sound advice. 

I prefer the Uberti clones, for c.a.s., because they are lighter, and I don't re-load hot cartridges, in the short distances we shoot. No, they are not as "heavy duty", as a Ruger, and they can and do need some repair, from time to time.  

I do have an older "pre-warning" Ruger, with a transfer bar, in .45 Colt, and I like it a lot. It is heavy, and stout, and can take heavy loads. I carry that Ruger to the deer lease, and while hunting, and fishing, and hiking. I don't use it for c.a.s., but I know many do. That is fine...it's up to the individual. 

I think each model has it's place...and it will be up to the individual to choose what they prefer. Depends on what you want out of this sport/game.

Do you want a stout revolver, built like an anvil? Or...do you strive for authenticity? The caliber, you prefer, may not be available in the Ruger's that are available today. They once did make one in .38 w.c.f./.40 S&W, and even .44 w.c.f.. Looking at Ruger's website, the Vaquero's can only be had in .45 Colt, or .357 magnum at this time. You can buy a SASS version Ruger for nearly 2 grand...if that appeals to you. Holy Cow! :blink:    

Both have their pluses, and minuses. Both are an accepted revolver for c.a.s..

I had one guy tell me that he loved to take his Ruger to the deer-stand. He said, if he forgot his paperback to read, he could always read the warning on the barrel, and if he needed some exercise, he could always use the Ruger as a dumb-bell, and do curls. :lol:  

I've run Uberti's and Rugers with an EAA Bounty Hunter in the mix as well. I started with one of the O.M. Rugers in .45 and the Bounty hunter.The OM just didn't fit my hand right so I picked up a NM which fit me better. Changer the Bounty Hunter out for another NM to get a shorter barrel length. I also inherited a pair of .357 revolvers from the wife when she went to Model P jrs.. One was another short barreled Bounty Hunter, the other was Uberti Cimarron. Shot those in rotation with the .45's for a while. Then I got the bug for .38-40's. I shot a pair of BP framed Uberti's with 4 3/4" barrels. They all served me well at my level of expertise after I tinkered with them( springs, polishing, etc.). Just get what feels right to you.:blush:

20 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks for the replies all, we have a lot of folks in our club that are really interesting in taking up CAS, there's a big $$$ difference in Australia between a pair of Vaqueros and a pair of Uberti Cattlemans.

Just trying to gather information so that when folks ask me should they buy Uberti Cattlemans because that's what they can afford I can hopefully give them sound advice. 

Also look at the Pietta cartridge revolvers, assuming they are available in your area.

Archived