SASS Wire Forum

Western Regional

Snakebite

I don't believe that I have ever attended a better match than this year's Western Regional at Morro Bay, Ca. Plenty of camping, a Great shooting event,  a Saloon that was fabulous, and the atmosphere was COWBOY! The huge tent accommodated everyone for one of the best dinners anywhere in the game. First and last meal served were both hot and delicious.  The surrounding area is simply one of the best places to visit in the US. California might give some folks the hebbie jebbies, but nobody can deny the beauty of the California central coast with it's small fishing villages and lots to do and see. Weather, HA! Sorry folks but NOBODY has nicer weather. This match has one of the best groups of dedicated volunteers in the game, led by Sinful and co match director El Lazo. If you have never attended the Western Regional at Chorro Valley then you have missed out on one of the best Cowboy Action Shooting events in SASS. This event pays tribute to what Cowboy Action Shooting was meant to be. They use some common sense when setting up the match, relying on good stage design rather than just putting a wall of steel in your face and calling it a Cowboy match. This is the 26th time that I have attended the CVR annual match and It just gets better and better.

Snakebite 

I saw in the results Single Barrel was the overall champ. I REALLY miss not being able to shoot anymore, especially this match.Thought I might get over for a visit, but no go.

Snakebite and Larson got it right!

It was the best one I’ve ever attended. 100% agree with Snakebite.

Full agreement with everyone above X1,000.  

Sinfull's and El Laso's stages were really fun shooting-- a perfect balance-- not mind twisters, but they did require some concentration and shooting skill.   A true "Championship Level" match, IMO.  

Every aspect of the match and event (250+ shooters) was "COWBOY".  It was well planned, well staffed, well officiated, and run on schedule.  Food was great, and the setting is unbeatable.  My wife and I spent 7 days there. 

And at the end, seeing 30+ of Chorro Valley Regulators' club volunteers come together spontaneously after the match and enjoy doing the tear-down and clean up was heartening.  What an impressively well-run Club and match event.  My cowboy hat is off to these great folks.  

14 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

I saw in the results Single Barrel was the overall champ. I REALLY miss not being able to shoot anymore, especially this match.Thought I might get over for a visit, but no go.

Snakebite and Larson got it right!

We missed seeing you ol Pard.

That was one challenging match, I tell you!  But, you know what?  I liked it!  That train ran on time, all week, the stages were well thought out and fun, the company was the best, and the Top Gun Shoot-off was the most challenging and entertaining that I have ever seen.

The setting and weather were outstanding, as well.  I was on Single Barrel's posse; you'll hurt yourself if you try to keep up with that man. Or his wife.  Great fun, the whole crew.

Put it on your list for next year!

Cheers,

FJT

Its the small details of a match that at least I remember the most. Sinful and El Lazo and the rest of there team go the distance to make the shooters as comfortable as possible. Ice cold water near every stage. Porta pottys that are cleaned regularly and are lit at night. Walls blocking lead splatter at the loading and unloading tables were there needed. Tractor pulling hay bailed trailers taking shooters and spectators from one end to the other. You get the picture. Oh and a fabulous dinner with great entertainment and a Western themed saloon. Its my 8th year going except for 2020 for obvious reasons and its the shoot that I wouldn't want to miss. Highly recommended!

2 hours ago, Royal Flush said:

Great match, thanks to all who put this on.Weather was wonderful.

RF

Congrats on your buckle, Royal; and great shooting with you (at last!) on the team Shoot!

Cheers,

FJT

Always a spectacular match...was my first Big match win and my first Big match after my little roll-in-the-truck trick back in 2016. 

Wish I coulda pulled it off this year...no place can compare to the central California coast in the summertime.

Phantom

Thanks FJT, was great to shoot with you too.Congrats on the shoot off win, way to keep it together.

See ya down the trail.

RF

On 8/9/2021 at 3:16 PM, Snakebite said:

I don't believe that I have ever attended a better match than this year's Western Regional at Morro Bay, Ca. Plenty of camping, a Great shooting event,  a Saloon that was fabulous, and the atmosphere was COWBOY! The huge tent accommodated everyone for one of the best dinners anywhere in the game. First and last meal served were both hot and delicious.  The surrounding area is simply one of the best places to visit in the US. California might give some folks the hebbie jebbies, but nobody can deny the beauty of the California central coast with it's small fishing villages and lots to do and see. Weather, HA! Sorry folks but NOBODY has nicer weather. This match has one of the best groups of dedicated volunteers in the game, led by Sinful and co match director El Lazo. If you have never attended the Western Regional at Chorro Valley then you have missed out on one of the best Cowboy Action Shooting events in SASS. This event pays tribute to what Cowboy Action Shooting was meant to be. They use some common sense when setting up the match, relying on good stage design rather than just putting a wall of steel in your face and calling it a Cowboy match. This is the 26th time that I have attended the CVR annual match and It just gets better and better.

Snakebite 

Thanks Doug.

El Lazo

14 minutes ago, El Lazo, SASS #13116 said:

Thanks for all the kind words for our Western Regional Shoot. Just got back to normal today. Tired all week. But it is always worth it.

El Lazo

Who got Cowboy of the Year?

35 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Mad Dog Jack sure missed seeing you and Allie Mo at the match.

Hey, thanks! Missed our Sat night dinners too.

Thanks for launching this post Snakebite - it was a super event. And thanks for the compliments to the CVR team. But the truth is ... regardless of what we do to set the stage, the real compliments go out to you and all the shooters whose attitude, laugher, camaraderie, sharp shooting, and involvement was paramount to making the 2021 SASS Western Regional / 26th Annual Chorro Valley ShootOut a success.

So, to all of you who shot with us, take a bow!

See you at the 2022nd!

RR

Archived