SASS Wire Forum

Photos of your RANGE CART'S

Buckshot Bear

Mine is a "prototype" or "work in progress" started out as a jogging stroller, uses gun magnets to keep the long guns from bouncing around, bottom holds extra ammo and a cooler. Leather bag holds first aid kit and tools and I use an extra gunbelt for holsters.

gc3-1.jpg

A couple of things I learned from others as this has progressed. Keep the weight as low as possible and use as large tires as you can. If you have a good young back, heavier is not a problem, but if you have a bad back, loading big carts can be a problem.

And several folks advised to expect to redo the cart several times until you get it how you like it.

7 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

A couple of things I learned from others as this has progressed. Keep the weight as low as possible and use as large tires as you can. If you have a good young back, heavier is not a problem, but if you have a bad back, loading big carts can be a problem.

And several folks advised to expect to redo the cart several times until you get it how you like it.

I'm in that category. 

Mine is half and half - I bought the welding cart (Harbor Freight, I believe) and then added the necessary furniture made from shop scraps and pieces.  I strongly second what has already been said about keeping the weight low and using large wheels.  The secret to mine is that it rocks back on to the wheels; you can spin 360 degrees in place, making it easy to maneuver on a crowded range; if you get the balance right, it will roll with just fingertips on the handle.   

010.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

40 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Any chance folks could post up photos of their RANGE CARTS's?

Did you purchase yours of make it yourself?

Buckshot Bear you sure are a needed person. ;) :P  I am enjoying all the photos people are posting for you in your enquiring posts.  Wish you the best at getting yourself and your club set up for shooting Cowboy Action Downunder.  When ever you do please post your own photos showing your stuff for us to see.

I have made several carts.  It is fun to build them as well as use them.  This is my favorite.  Unfortunately, it was made with cheap plywood and failed after several years of use.  I might rebuild it again.  Winter is coming.  Big compartment at the top of the column for ammo .  Drawers for stuff.  Big compartment at the bottom for more stuff.

Chancy

IMG_5730edited.thumb.jpg.d77e61797f54e7673cfe23d7d66b1ef4.jpgIMG_5727edited.thumb.jpg.2ac7828bec80c8e6bf084e118bdc04dc.jpgIMG_5731.thumb.JPG.f0179b2c7cb4b44ddd83ead93a43ed08.JPG

3 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Buckshot Bear you sure are a needed person. ;) :P  I am enjoying all the photos people are posting for you in your enquiring posts.  Wish you the best at getting yourself and your club set up for shooting Cowboy Action Downunder.  When ever you do please post your own photos showing your stuff for us to see.

Thanks Cowtown Scout appreciate it and I know I'm asking a lot of questions and really appreciate the feedback and advice from folks :)

Our range is coming up to 40 years since we first got the land (Forestry) there's so many members (many now past on) $ and blood, sweat and tears have gone into it. In the Christmas Fires of 2019 when the East Coast of Oz was ablaze, we are in the middle of a massive area of bush (hundreds of thousands of acres of virgin bush) and we lost the lost in about 90 minutes. Luckily we had insurance, but with Covid lockdowns and trying to get builders and trades people when hundreds upon hundreds of homes were lost and there is so much work available has been very trying to say the least.

We are 80% - 90% back up and running and it was the perfect chance to convert a range to dual IPSC and CAS.

People being so kind to post photos of steel targets and holders, their rigs and now their range carts ....wow...its been incredibly helpful. That old saying a picture tells a 1000 words is so true.

Thanks one and all!

There have been picture threads before, but the search function above isn't worth much.  However, if you do a google image siearch on Sassnet Guncarts you will see lots more pics.  

I didn't see mine there, though :) . So, vintage bagboy cart ($8), vintage Oshkosh train case (free, talked mom out of one of her collection.) 

Guncart1.jpg

135105013_guncartdone.jpg.477b6a064aec2f41c269aba24a771a17.jpg

The pegs that are low on the sides of the box can be pushed in and locked so the sides are flush. The tray on the back is the right size for a soft-side cooler and a couple boxes of shotgun shells. The revolver brackets are removable, if I need to expand to carry four long guns.

Made in 2019 by my brother in Christ, Bob Bruins. He's an  accomplished woodworker and saw that I was in cowboy action shooting. When talking to him about the sport he said, "hey, would you mind if I made you a cart". He wanted a challenge and I said "sure", so I showed him some ideas with the used carts I had purchased in the past. Told him he could come up with whatever idea he wanted as "artistic license" if you will. He is what he came up with and I have been blessed to enjoy it since then. It's made of hickory.

GC 1.jpg

GC 2.jpg

GC 3.jpg

GC 4.jpg

GC 5.jpg

GC 6.jpg

By "range cart" are you referring to gun carts, or to carts used by range helpers for transporting targets, stands and other props around a range for match set up?   For the latter, our club uses a dedicated target/utility trailer with specialized racks,  and wheelbarrows or hand trucks.  

38 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

By "range cart" are you referring to gun carts, or to carts used by range helpers for transporting targets, stands and other props around a range for match set up?   For the latter, our club uses a dedicated target/utility trailer with specialized racks,  and wheelbarrows or hand trucks.  

G'day looks like I have the nomenclature incorrect. I meant the carts that folks are posting up.

64B2FB76-E5EF-401D-AE55-A1466B83AFF8.jpeg

6 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Tighten your braces and pull up your suspenders! Find your own comforter. You know we are two Nations  separated by the same language. Be specific in what you ask!Gday mate. 

Fox

Everyone has posted photos of exactly what I wanted to see.......so my question resonated with folks.

Here's mine. It was my 3rd attempt at building one from scratch.....

and I think I finally got it right.

It holds everything I'm likely to need, rolls easy & folds up easy and fits into the back of my Outback.......

It even provides a place to sit down in the shade when I open my umbrella.

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.4c96190318a2a8a59cb9760ae1f4d2d6.JPGIMG_0386.thumb.JPG.456f3936b04ceb3bdb850e8464e544b2.JPGIMG_0387_1.thumb.JPG.a65be17fa190d4122644c605a98703e9.JPG

IMG_0479.thumb.jpg.ea5d169972492c9b27b3ea9228a41928.jpg

Here's the first gunwagon I built.  I have built a few more since.

This winter's project is a replica of Henry's 1896(?) Quadricycle.

Mustang

gun_wagon1 (2).jpg

Archived