SASS Wire Forum

S&W model 69 (2.75")

I do not own one but was near a guy at the range when he was shooting his. Quite a light show with full magnum loads. I thought the fireball coming out of my S&W 327 in .357 Magnum with a 2.5" barrel was impressive. I was wrong. :lol:

There are some pretty good reviews on YouTube.

I have had 2 in my hand and although I have not had an opportunity to shoot one their trigger is typical of Smith and Wesson. Very light and crisp. I thought the gun, even though it is equipped with the external lockable safety hole, was a fine piece.

One of these is on my short list for 44 magnum revolvers.

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look for a SS,  4" bbl Mountain Gun in .44 ;)

OLG 

Years ago I had two, one in 45 Colt and one 44 Mag. Foolishly sold them some time back. I didn’t lose money on em but today I could pay off the house, the vacation property on an exotic island, buy an small plane and a sports car with sales profit from those! :D

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look for a SS,  4" bbl Mountain Gun in .44 ;)

OLG 

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Years ago I had two, one in 45 Colt and one 44 Mag. Foolishly sold them some time back. I didn’t lose money on em but today I could pay off the house, the vacation property on an exotic island, buy an small plane and a sports car with sales profit from those! :D

In California those are like hen’s teeth. I would love a Mountain Gun in .45 Colt.
The last one I encountered was at the Cabela’s Gun Library in Tualatin Oregon in 2018. They had it on display but no price on it. I asked about it and the sales guy said they haven’t determined what they wanted to charge for it. I gave him my business card with a note on it to call as soon as they priced it. I told him I wanted it. 
I called the next day and it was sold. The guy I spoke was the same guy I gave my card to. When I pressed him on it he said the manager made a decision and the gun was gone. 

Yeah, probably into their crooked manager’s gun safe. That guy was a piece of….work. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php?q=S%26W+combat+69&type=M

It’s Interesting that this model 69 is a 5 shot. 

It's an 'L' frame.

All other S&W 44's are 'N' frame(larger frame).

OLG 

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's an 'L' frame.

All other S&W 44's are 'N' frame(larger frame).

OLG 

Odd. Shouldn’t it have a different model number then?…Oh wait. Never mind. It’s S&W :lol:

L-Frame .44s aren't bad, the 2.75" gun is pretty handy. I shoot some reasonably stout 44SPL thru mine most of the time. It is still more pleasant with 44MAG bear loads than my 329NG or standard 329 by a mile. The N-Frame 629PC 2.6" is a cool gun too if you're looking for a smaller one. I would rather not have a lock, but the lock problems seem to have been long since solved.   

The 44MAG and 45 Colt Mountain Guns will forever be my favorite. Ross Seyfried's 44MAG Mountain Gun prototype is on Gunbroker right now for $10K if that strikes your fancy LOL. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Odd. Shouldn’t it have a different model number then?…Oh wait. Never mind. It’s S&W :lol:

It is, the standard stainless 44 N-Frame is the 629. Smith's naming convention certainly can be confusing, I don't think they ever planned on making so many different guns.  

It does have a different model number.

The regular stainless steel 44 Magnum, built on an N frame, is a 629.

This is a 69. It is a five shot stainless steel 44 magnum built on an L frame. Smaller gun. Less cartridge capacity. And in my opinion, not able to withstand the pressures of constant 44 Magnums. But then, it's so small and light, full house 44 Magnums would be painful as hell, so most people are going to carry light Magnums or possibly even Specials.

You know - mouse farts.

I shot some of these from a 69 and they were pretty pleasant and ridiculously accurate. The gun's owner had Pachmayr American Legend grips on it. https://www.sigsauer.com/44spl-200gr-elite-v-crown-jhp.html

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

$10,000? I think someone is smoking their meals. :lol:

I guess if you want the handmade prototype from Smith it isn't that bad...if you want a shooter it's probably a tad out of reach. :lol:

At the rate things are going a production pre-lock mint Mountain Gun will be $10K in a couple years!

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

$10,000? I think someone is smoking their meals. :lol:

I guess if you want the handmade prototype from Smith it isn't that bad...if you want a shooter it's probably a tad out of reach. :lol:

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Widder, SASS #59054

If you buy one of these model 69s please do a review of it for us. That gun really looks like an interesting revolver to have. Thank you. 

Agree.

I've already got a .44 mag V-Comp.

My son-in-law has an 8+ inch S&W .44 mag.

Hopefully, I will have the 2.75"  model 69 Combat Magnum model 69.

I hope to compare ALL 3 in velocities, perceived recoil, and accuracy (10 yard).

So far, I haven't been able to acquire one.

..........Widder

Archived