SASS Wire Forum

Revolver repair information hand spring

Fallon Kid

Hey just wanted to pass on tip for maybe future problem. I was working on a Lemat and a hand spring broke. This is the do-dad that pushes the cylinder and has a leaf type spring to push forward. (I’ve attached pics and if you have ever disassembled a revolver the part is familiar. If not, might be best off seeing a gun smith)This type of operating principle is used in almost every revolver ever made. As you well know supplies and parts are not available. I know this and my heart was 8 beats away from turning on water valves in eyes. I looked for spring steel on web and not so available. I keep everything so I found a blank frame in which the front insert  sights had been punched. It’s made of blue spring steel. I cut a section and kinda looked at force deflection of the material. Seemed to be light enough but strong enough to push the hand spring and hold in cylinder. I measured the thickness at .018 which is about a nominal size for this type application. I removed old spring and installed new spring leaving enough length to cut to fit by actual operating. I won’t detail process to remove old spring and install new one. Most guns the spring is held by a compression fit. This is a great opportunity to make a broke gun more broker. I don’t want to be part of that. I can screw up enough on my own. Anyway, I plan on using till factory parts available but appears to working fine. I hope this knowledge nugget may  come in handy as it made my day blessed. Jerry

3033-2.JPG

sight frame.jpg

I have used old strapping bands like on larger crates.

Thanks good to know. The good of this fix was just cut to length. No trimming or filing. But I appreciate the info.  Fallon

Over the years I've heard of people using bobby pins.  Seems awfully thick.  The only time I had to replace one was in an Uberti cap gun and I had the factory replacement part but like you said, getting the old one out and the new one in was the fun part.

It has been several years since I posted this video to YouTube.  My later versions still use spring wire but not as much work.  Instead of making a full loop around the bottom of the hand, just epoxy the wire into the hole, then shape it into an “S” shape.  None of the spring wire hands I have installed have ever broken.

Archived