SASS Wire Forum

I like Rugers, but why do they add confusion to their models

Pat Riot

I searching for info on grips for Finagler I was perusing Ruger’s website drooling over Blackhawk Convertibles when I decided to replace the rosewood grips that I gave away to my Son-in-law’s Dad from my New Vaquero. 
So I went to the Accessories page and clicked on Grips them on Single Action and there are grips for Vaqueros and for Single Actions but no mention of New Vaqueros or Blackhawks but they do mention Super Blackhawks. 

I am really starting to wonder if the folks at Ruger smoke dope…and lots of it. Jees is H Criminee, Do these companies just like causing confusion or are they just high?…on dope…lots and lots of dope…

The whole naming system has done nothing but spark confusion.  We have the Vaquero and the New Vaquero.  So when people are talking about their "Vaquero" half the time there is confusion.  So a lot of people started talking OMV and NMV to help eliminate confusion but then the "but" monkeys come out the woodwork and proudly explain that there is no such thing as an Old Model Vaquero.  Sort of like the "experts" that have to explain there is no such thing as the .45 Long Colt even though manufacturers and ammo makers use the term.  Same dumb thing Jeep did with the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.  MANUFACTURERS don't use the same name on different models of your product!

Ruger isn’t the only one. S&W’s and Glock’s numbering systems can be confusing. 
Examples:

I have an S&W 327 Night Guard. It chambers .357 magnum &  .38 Special. There is also a round called the .327 Federal Magnum. I was at a gun store where a guy was arguing for the return of 2 boxes of .327 magnum as the sales guys heard him say he had “a Smith & Wesson 327” and the clerk sold him .327 ammo. They had a policy of not accepting returns on ammo. Once it was explained they allowed the return. 

I have a Glock 45 that fires 9mm. 
Glock 22 fires .40 S&W

Glock 44 fires .22 LR

S&W has a model 929. It’s an 8 shot 9mm revolver. The “29” should denote a .44 Magnum gun. The “9” must mean 9mm but typically the first number stands for frame material in a 3 numbered revolver is aluminum or Scandium. A 6 means stainless. 

Weird

The Glock 44 is in 22. The Glock 22 is in 40. The Glock 40 is in 10 like the 20. There is no Glock 10, but there is a Glock in 9 aka the 17 and 19 and 26 and 43, not including the 48 - which came out before the 44 - and the 43X, which are the same except for the ways in which they’re different. Actually they’re like the 45, which is a 9, which is the same as a 19x which is actually more like the 17 than the 19. Strangely enough the 45 came before the 44, but 45 came before 9, but not 44, so maybe that’s the logic. If you wanted a 45, you need a 36, a 41, a 30, a 21, or a 21SF, or a 30S, or a 30SF. Of course if you want Glock’s 45 you need a 37, 38 or 39. The 38 isn’t a 38, there are other 38’s. If you want a Glock, definitely get the 19 and maybe a 22 to practice with - not the 40 22, but the 44 22. The 22 won’t help you to practice with your 9 as much as a 23, which is closer to the 19. Unless your goal is competition, in which case you should have been considering a 35 or 17L or 24 or 41 or 34 which are 40 9 40 45 9 respectively. The 31 32 and 33 are actually 357’s but not the 38 357’s. They’re 357’s that are more like 9s but not like the 380 is like 9’s. If you wanted that you need a 42. And nobody likes a 42, you’re better off with a 9. And therefore try a 44 because everyone loves to work on their 9 with a 22.

In comparison, Ruger is a breath of fresh air...

When they refer to Vaqueros, they actually mean New Vaqueros because they don't make the OMV anymore. Just my guess. <_<

In the old days Smith & Wesson had their numbering down pat.  They had the small No. 1, the slightly larger No 1 1/2, the larger No. 2 and then the large No. 3.  Things have gone down hill since 1869.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I searching for info on grips for Finagler I was perusing Ruger’s website drooling over Blackhawk Convertibles when I decided to replace the rosewood grips that I gave away to my Son-in-law’s Dad from my New Vaquero. 
So I went to the Accessories page and clicked on Grips them on Single Action and there are grips for Vaqueros and for Single Actions but no mention of New Vaqueros or Blackhawks but they do mention Super Blackhawks. 

I am really starting to wonder if the folks at Ruger smoke dope…and lots of it. Jees is H Criminee, Do these companies just like causing confusion or are they just high?…on dope…lots and lots of dope…

So you will buy more....

Texas Lizard

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

In the old days Smith & Wesson had their numbering down pat.  They had the small No. 1, the slightly larger No 1 1/2, the larger No. 2 and then the large No. 3.  Things have gone down hill since 1869.

Don't forget Colt. They came out with their Series 70 1911 pistols with the collet barrel bushing, dropped them in 1983, then in 2002 came out with a new Series 70 that did NOT have a collet bushing. They've since dropped those as well and now have a new pistol out they call a Series 70 but externally it looks more like a Series 80. And when Colt made their WW1-themed replicas years ago they advertised them as having a Series 70 firing system even though Series 70 was supposed to mean the collet bushing.

And we won't get started on the new 1911 they introduced in the 90s and called a 1991 model. People on the 1911 forums still ask what the heck is the difference. Sigh...

9 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The Glock 44 is in 22. The Glock 22 is in 40. The Glock 40 is in 10 like the 20. There is no Glock 10, but there is a Glock in 9 aka the 17 and 19 and 26 and 43, not including the 48 - which came out before the 44 - and the 43X, which are the same except for the ways in which they’re different. Actually they’re like the 45, which is a 9, which is the same as a 19x which is actually more like the 17 than the 19. Strangely enough the 45 came before the 44, but 45 came before 9, but not 44, so maybe that’s the logic. If you wanted a 45, you need a 36, a 41, a 30, a 21, or a 21SF, or a 30S, or a 30SF. Of course if you want Glock’s 45 you need a 37, 38 or 39. The 38 isn’t a 38, there are other 38’s. If you want a Glock, definitely get the 19 and maybe a 22 to practice with - not the 40 22, but the 44 22. The 22 won’t help you to practice with your 9 as much as a 23, which is closer to the 19. Unless your goal is competition, in which case you should have been considering a 35 or 17L or 24 or 41 or 34 which are 40 9 40 45 9 respectively. The 31 32 and 33 are actually 357’s but not the 38 357’s. They’re 357’s that are more like 9s but not like the 380 is like 9’s. If you wanted that you need a 42. And nobody likes a 42, you’re better off with a 9. And therefore try a 44 because everyone loves to work on their 9 with a 22.

In comparison, Ruger is a breath of fresh air...

I am partial to the Glock 18 

17 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The whole naming system has done nothing but spark confusion.  We have the Vaquero and the New Vaquero.  

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

When they refer to Vaqueros, they actually mean New Vaqueros because they don't make the OMV anymore. Just my guess. <_<

Actually there are TWO different models of New Vaquero. There is the "pre' 2010 version, and the "after" 2010 version, and THEY use different grips!:wacko:

6 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Actually there are TWO different models of New Vaquero. There is the "pre' 2010 version, and the "after" 2010 version, and THEY use different grips!:wacko:

And different struts and springs.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Nearly a hundred different Glock models, and not a single one with a manual safety option. :rolleyes:

Revolvers don’t have safeties. :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Nearly a hundred different Glock models, and not a single one with a manual safety option. :rolleyes:

Good news, they make a few!

Bad news, only in about 4 countries for contracts.

The MHS (what became the 19X commercially) had one, but they omitted it for the civilian market. 

Yes, Glock is notorious for saying that their gun is perfectly safe and doesn't need a manual safety, and that all the cases of Glock Leg are purely user error. That may be so, but having a manual safety makes said users less likely to have said error.

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yes, Glock is notorious for saying that their gun is perfectly safe and doesn't need a manual safety, and that all the cases of Glock Leg are purely user error. That may be so, but having a manual safety makes said users less likely to have said error.

The answer is simple. Don't buy Glocks.

I am kind of the opposite. I like 1911s, but I hate carrying them with the hammer  back and the safety on. I always felt like someday the springs would give out when I needed the gun the most. Yes, weird, I know, but it just drove me nuts.

Regardless of type or maker  of gun the best safety is between one's ears.

Yeah, S&W semiauto model numbers in the 90’s turned me off to them. I really did want an S&W 3913 but never came across one until a few years ago and the price was just too high. I saw the gun in the movie Demolition Man and Wesley Snipes character had one. I wanted one the moment I saw it. Maybe someday. 

image.jpeg.7c50c56ea9b61f6cebb8063f468ed62b.jpeg

21 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, S&W semiauto model numbers in the 90’s turned me off to them.

I suspect the dizzying number of models may have confused buyers and turned many people off of them. I didn't buy my first metal-framed until long after they'd been discontinued and started showing up in the used gun cases at bargain prices. I scored a 915 9mm in like-new condition for only $265.

Archived