SASS Wire Forum

Bullet Casting Furnace

I have the RCBS Pro Melt, which I guess is the ancestor to the Pro Melt 2, because it does not look like the pictures of the Pro Melt 2.  My RCBS furnace has given flawless service for years, much better than the cheap Lee pot I started with.  No experience with the Lyman.

I found this discussion from 2017 in another forum:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?326964-lyman-mag-25-or-rcbs-pro-melt

My RCBS has been casting bullets for almost 40 years without any problems . My vote is for the green reloading equipment 

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have a Lee pro melt. Since I added a PID controller it works like a charm and is still 1/2 the cost of the RCBS or Lyman. 

I don't no why all the mfg's of bullet casting furnaces don't use digital PID controllers?  The most expensive part is the contactor if they don't use a solid state relay.

The Pro-Melt 2 is the one with the built in PID. Unfortunately they seem to burn out the PID from heat. You might get better discussions on this over at www.castboolits.gunloads.com  I have an original Pro-Melt and a Magma 40 lb pot. The Magma for most  for most things and the RCBS for pure lead items like lead balls. Both work fine. I built my own separate PIDS, no heat problems.

Archived