SASS Wire Forum

My Brass needs help...

Sasparilla Groz

A new shooter handed me a can of brass to reload for him.   About 1/2 the can was mixed brass with .38 special head stamps.  The rest have different markings but are not stamped .38.  See picture.

They go in the case gauge just fine.  However, I want to check it out a bit more first.

Anyone ran across this before and have any recommendations, suggestions, or "holy smokes don't do that....!"

Brass.jpg

6 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

Mystery solved.   Thank you kind sir!

Verify that the primer pockets are not crimped. 

I got some Lake City 38 specials that were crimped.

I find the walls of these cases are a bit thicker than most commercial cases.  Gauge your cases after loading to make sure they will chamber.

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I find the walls of these cases are a bit thicker than most commercial cases.  Gauge your cases after loading to make sure they will chamber.

Regular WCC brass is also thicker.  Rounds with that brass will chamber in all my guns except my two oldest Uberti conversions.  Had to use a factory crimp die to make them chamber in those guns.

Groz, believe if you determine the case length, you will determine they are 38 Spl brass and the P indicates they were ‘power’ 38 Spl ammo, which is a hotter powder charge than a straight 38 Spl.  Good brass, clean them up and reload 

Archived