SASS Wire Forum

Clay Dot versus Clays

Old Ranger

There should be shot shell data listed by the manufacturer for Clay Dot, but I do agree with Choctaw Jack above in that Clay Dot doesn't seem to be quite as hot as Clays.  However, It is indeed very similar and using the same load and components that worked with your Clays loads should work just fine and the difference would be hard to even notice.  If you have a variable charge bar, then you could bump it up a bit if you want, but I wouldn't spend the money for another powder bushing just to load Clay Dot instead.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

I loaded the same as Clays and never noticed a difference. I didn't crono the loads, but they were close enough that I couldn't tell the difference.

J.M.

Clay Dot is slightly bulkier than Clays, but has the same usage by weight. I remember going up one MEC bushing when I switched a while ago. Then went back to Clays after I found some available. 

On 8/6/2021 at 8:29 PM, Old Ranger said:

Came upon some Clay Dot couldn’t find any Clays, can I use same reloading data for  my 12 gauge , 7/8 oz (#7.5 shot),Win AA hulls, Win 209 primers , Claybuster Wads, ( Grey)?

I load with a MEC and use a 27 bushing for Clays, Red Dot and Clay Dot without any problems.  For .38 special I had to increase my load by .2 to keep primers from backing out with Clay Dot.

Randy

Archived