SASS Wire Forum

Fact of life #48

Sixgun Sheridan

Whenever you hire a contractor to do something around your house, halfway through the job one of his family members will die or end up in the hospital while at the same time his phone will suddenly stop working. At least that's the excuse 99% of them give when they finally show up again three weeks later. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Whenever you hire a contractor to do something around your house, halfway through the job one of his family members will die or end up in the hospital while at the same time his phone will suddenly stop working. At least that's the excuse 99% of them give when they finally show up again three weeks later. :rolleyes:

Certainly if you paid him in advance.

why is it always him, his?

hire a woman!

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

why is it always him, his?

hire a woman!

If you hire a woman she'll need to bring her kids with her to the jobsite. At least a guy will only bring his dog (which then proceeds to terrorize your cat).

Wow, I was a little afraid for a second as this thread opened that it would be about the Facts of Life TV show, episode 48.  Is that the one where Tootie was going deaf or the one when Blair was dating the "Special" guy?

Help me! I know too much about crap like this and not enough about stuff that matters!

I was thinking about The Facts of Life the other day. About actors that stand up for what they believe.

The writers decided that one of the girls should lose her virginity. And of course it would be Blair. Because Blair was the leader. Blair was the popular girl. Blair was the pretty girl.

Lisa, the actress that played Blair, said no. "I am a Christian, and I do not believe in premarital sex. I will not do something on the television show that I would not do in real life. No."

Atta girl Lisa.

Janeane Garofalo. Very anti-gun woman. They wanted her in a cop movie. She said yeah, no problem. But she would not carry a gun, because she did not believe in guns. They said she had to carry a gun, because she was a cop. She said find another actress. She made the movie. She was a cop in the movie. She did not carry a gun.

Atta girl Janeane.

Della Reese. Old black woman. Played an angel in Touched by an Angel. Play the foul mouthed whore in Harlem Nights. Was watching an interview with her on TV. The guy asked if it was true that she was an ordained minister. Yes she was. How did she relate being an ordained minister of the Gospel with the language she used in Harlem Nights? She explained that that was not her. That was a role. That was a character. And it had nothing to do with her.

So if they give her enough money, she would do anything, whether she believed in it or not. Della don't get no "atta girl" from me for that attitude.

I read an article about a fella that said that he did everything that he could at his home and business.  He did what it took to learn.  His favorite source was retired contractors.

He said that it might take longer (probably not) and have issues, but at least he cared to do the job right, unlike many contractors.

He had a point.

When I started renovating the family house in SoCal so I could get Mom into a dementia facility... I found I had to kiss a whole lot of frogs before I found a prince.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If you hire a woman she'll need to bring her kids with her to the jobsite. At least a guy will only bring his dog (which then proceeds to terrorize your cat).

I've seen a bunch of dogs on jobsites. All of them have been well behaved except one. That SOB climbed every ladder on the jobsite. Didn't matter what kind of ladder it was or how tall. That dog was up on the roof and in the trusses. Every time you got off a ladder and walked away for a moment, that dog was on the ladder when you came back. If he'd been my dog, I'd have trained him to pull wire and a few other things.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've seen a bunch of dogs on jobsites. All of them have been well behaved except one. That SOB climbed every ladder on the jobsite. Didn't matter what kind of ladder it was or how tall. That dog was up on the roof and in the trusses. Every time you got off a ladder and walked away for a moment, that dog was on the ladder when you came back. If he'd been my dog, I'd have trained him to pull wire and a few other things.

Any dog that can climb ladders should be taught to carry shingles.

LL

17 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yep.  Once they have your money most Contractors loose incentive.  That's the main reason I pay in percentages as the work progresses.  I don't hire a contractor that demands 100% before he (or she) will start the work.

I had a guy come out to cut some trees and he wanted half up front. 
I asked him if we were seeing the same trees because half of them weren’t cut down. I told him I pay a man for the job he did, not the one he hasn’t done yet. If that was not to his liking he was free to leave. 
He cut the trees. 

My Dad was a General Contractor. This  term, General Contractor, actually means "a person or persons that starts all jobs or work day by going to a local café and drinking coffee for at least two hours daily. Work may of may not commence after coffee but will be talked about quite a bit ensuring the General Contractor has a plan. All plans are subject to change at the slightest change in the environment or disposition of the General Contractor, which may result in work not commencing until a new plan is  developed."

I do all my work myself. When I have hired a contractor the very first thing I require is his / her home address and two phone numbers. I also make a copy of their driver's license and contractor license. I look up their license online in their presence. The home address is needed so that I can show up at there house when they do not show up at mine. If I do not get the address they do not get the job.

I have had two contractors (for the same job) that gave me false contractor license numbers. The poor dumb bastages gave me their home addresses first, which were sent to the contractor  licensing board.

I have seen so many nightmare scenarios with contractors that  do not pay games, but I do not play games with the contractors I hire. I expect the same treatment in return.

I have only had to track down one guy that was rebuilding a block wall behind my house.  I refuse to work with concrete so I hired a guy. Anyway, he tore the wall down then didn't show up the next day. He left a lame cryptic message on my machine. He didn't show up the next day so I left work early and went to his house. I guess he thought I was kidding about showing up at his place if he didn't show up at mine. He was building a jungle gym / tree house thing for his kids when I showed  up. The kids were in school, but his wife was there. She got to see me tear him a new anal orifice in his own back yard and then I fired him and then hired the next guy on the list. My wall was up and  complete two days later.

The original guy had rented a cement mixer. I stashed it in my garage the second  day he didn't show up. About a  week after my wall was done the idiot called me wanting to pick up his cement mixer. It seems the rental company  was charging him for it. The numbskull forgot about it. Unfortunately my schedule wouldn't allow me  to be home when it was convenient for him to pick it up so he had to wait until the weekend to get it. ;)

Now, I am renting a house.  Fortunately the contractors that the property management company has do work for them are pretty reliable.

I've hired several contractors to do work around our place here in the Tucson area.  I've only ran into one contractor that quit on me half way through the job.  I had paid him half up front. 

I hope this doesn't sound too bias, but I've found myself preferring to hire Hispanics.  I find them to be more courteous and reliable.  The Anglos seem to be more cocky and less trustworthy.

Archived