SASS Wire Forum

New Treaty Proposed

Harvard professor Dr. Abraham Loeb has published an article called: How To Avoid A Cosmic Catastrophe. 

In it he describes his proposal to sign an interstellar treaty with other advanced civilizations. Of course he is referring to extra terrestrial beings from other planets.

I, for one, see quite a few problems with this.

The first being...a Harvard professor, advocating to sign a treaty, with entities that may, or may not, even exist. That alone makes me really wonder about the state of the educational system, and some of the teachers they hire.

Other problems are the vast distances to be traversed. Since travel at the speed of light is only accomplished by things with no mass, then how can they have a space vehicle with no mass?  What propulsion system, and what fuel, would they use? Have aliens found a way to overcome the distances? Do they have "warp drive" in their star-ships?

Can't use a "worm-hole", since a "worm-hole", at the middle point, is smaller than an atom.

If aliens exist, then their mode of travelling these vast distances have to be totally unknown to us....obviously.    

I figure we may should be more worried about a large, stray, asteroid, comet, or other wandering space "rock" that may impact the Earth, than a possible attack by "little green men". 

Not saying E.T.'s don't exist, (I simply do not know...do you?) but I think we might want to wait until we have a legitimate first contact (other than around a mobile- home park In Hickville, USA), or some real scientific evidence of their existence, and thus, perhaps, establish communication, and also, their motives, before we start trying to negotiate a peace treaty.  

Perhaps Dr. Loeb should be actively seeking to make a treaty with some other, yet-to-be-proven entities, a little closer to terra-firma...such as: Leprechauns. 

I figure IF there are more advanced civilizations, out there, then they will be the ones that dictate terms to us. Usually the weaker civilization is either destroyed, or enslaved, or assimilated...or...used as a food source. 

Resistance is futile !!!  

Any species that possesses the knowledge and technology to travel the great distances of space and arrive at our doorstep is so far ahead of us that we're in no position to negotiate anything with them. The fact that we haven't been invaded and overrun yet means that either we're not worth invading or they lack the means to reach us.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Any species that possesses the knowledge and technology to travel the great distances of space and arrive at our doorstep is so far ahead of us that we're in no position to negotiate anything with them. The fact that we haven't been invaded and overrun yet means that either we're not worth invading or they lack the means to reach us.

I often wonder about the potential veracity to a theory put forth by a sci-fi writer.

The Earth is a wild life refuge for a galactically endangered species- the mosquito.

That would explain why we haven't been invaded.

1.  Wild life refuges aren't open to exploitation or settlement

2.  Wild life refuges are only visited, usually for short terms, which explains the UFO sightings.  Think of them as ET's version of the drive through safari parks.

3.  The alien abductions and sightings would then equate to the windowlickers of the human race that insist on getting out of their cars and interacting with wild animals at wild life parks and such- like the family that put a buffalo calf into their mini van because they thought it 'looked cold' or this warm, oddly colored spot in the gene pool of life.

bison selfie 3.jpg

The is a science fiction short story about first contact with an alien race "The Road Not Taken"  Wikipedia link to a synopsis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(short_story)

and another to the whole story: https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

I've across a number of variations on the theme which boils down to this "They should have been more polite to the monkey boys and girls from planet Earth. Humans had developed a pacifist society because they had been good - too good - at war".

Aliens are already here. Most are on the sea floor engineering the necessary climate change needed for them to live on the surface someday. 
They have their lesser beings that are imbedded in various governments, news agencies and tech companies  all over the world thus explaining the strange things going on everywhere. 

Yes, I am kidding…I think. 

image.jpeg.b549606b2cfc740d46ae712151ca03a2.jpeg

so - does harvard not offer more challenge to its staff than this ? too much idle time me thinks , perhaps we need to review his tenure ? and his income ? what makes him think he is qualified to negotiate on our behalf ? much like the Hollywood elites that think they know more of politics than the rest of us i think he overestimates his importance in the world 

7 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

What language would the "Professor" use to write this interstellar treaty?

English obviously, .......... that's the main language used by almost every alien on tv shows and movies ....   ;)

On 8/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, Chantry said:

The is a science fiction short story about first contact with an alien race "The Road Not Taken"  Wikipedia link to a synopsis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(short_story)

and another to the whole story: https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

I've across a number of variations on the theme which boils down to this "They should have been more polite to the monkey boys and girls from planet Earth. Humans had developed a pacifist society because they had been good - too good - at war".

That was a recent arc in the webcomic Sandra and Woo.

You might enjoy it. It's only eight strips long.

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2021/06/26/1275-fire-in-the-sky-page-1/

It is going to be difficult, at least for the present.  IIRC, We were basically at a sort of Cold War, at least, withe Klingon Empire for several centuries, until the Organia Peace was imposed.  Not sure about the Romulans or others.  But Ephriam Cocrain hasn't even been born yet, so those on this forum probably won't live to see a true Warp Drive.  As far as UAP's (UFO's) are concerned, I remain agnostic on the subject. They may be under the equivalent of a Prime Directive.  At least, so far as the gub'mint has released, they haven't shut down any more of our ICBM guidance systems as happened to Malmstrom's Echo and Oscar flight's birds back in '66!  :o  The other thing is if "they" landed and said, "Take us to your leader!" we might have trouble deciding who that would be...if we have one...:unsure: 

On 8/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Aliens are already here. Most are on the sea floor engineering the necessary climate change needed for them to live on the surface someday. 
They have their lesser beings that are imbedded in various governments, news agencies and tech companies  all over the world thus explaining the strange things going on everywhere. 

Yes, I am kidding…I think. 

Just remember, we're here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. ... And we're all out of bubblegum.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

We have nothing to fear, people. As soon as we find evidence that the aliens are here Diane Feinstein and the ATF will simply ban the weapons they use. We'll be perfectly safe.

Hey wait a minute... Diane Feinstein IS an alien..................... she's working for THEM!

Sorry folks, I but I think we're screwed... :wacko:

Chantry, thank you!
I'm an ardent follower of science fiction, but this is the first I read the Road Not Taken!

They may have been here a long time ago. Did you ever read Ezekiel in the Bible?! Hmmmm...,   

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They may have been here a long time ago. Did you ever read Ezekiel in the Bible?! Hmmmm...,   

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Archived