SASS Wire Forum

I've seen that here in the south.  'Specially to "yard cars"...the ones that haven't ran in several years, and occupy strategic places in the yard.

Back in the late summer of 2004 I applied for a job in Phoenix. At that time I was  really into off-roading and belonged  to a Chevy ZR2 forum.

A guy from Phoenix left his ZR2  sitting on the street  and went away for a  week long vacation somewhere. I recall he lamented the fact that he didn't park his truck under the carport. He posted photos of  how his dash got so hot the plastic actually drooped from the heat.

I contacted the folks in Phoenix where I had applied and told  them to remove me from the candidate list. :lol:

The lady I spoke with said that I was  the top contender for  the job. I thanked her  but insisted I be removed.

I don't mind heat but that was  a bit much.

Had a tempered glass dining table that I was using for a desk. I got a new desk and was taking the glass top outside until I could dispose of it. It was 78 deg inside. It was 104 deg outside!

As soon as I exited the house to the patio, the glass top exploded in my hands! I was cleaning up tempered glass "nuggets" outside for a few days.:angry:

On 8/6/2021 at 7:46 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've seen that here in the south.  'Specially to "yard cars"...the ones that haven't ran in several years, and occupy strategic places in the yard.

Must be a redneck's yard.

8 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Must be a redneck's yard.

Could be...but I've seen them from Florida to Illinois, and from Virginia to Utah.  

5 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

Wow, If I were you I'd seriously consider moving to an area with a more temperate climate!

:FlagAm: So maybe San Diego?

:P Chas

19 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Remember a couple three years ago when they were grounding certain types of jet liners because it was over 120 and above their maximum takeoff temp?

JHC

Yep the hot air is not as dense as cooler air and the aircraft cannot  get enough lift/thrust to safely take off for the given length of the runway. Phoenix actually has longer runways to mitigate this issue in the summer.

21 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Remember a couple three years ago when they were grounding certain types of jet liners because it was over 120 and above their maximum takeoff temp?

JHC

:FlagAm: 26June1990.  Temps hit an all time high at Sky Harbor of 122F.  All flights grounded due to the current charts at that time did not have calculations for a temperature that high.

Chas

18 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: 26June1990.  Temps hit an all time high at Sky Harbor of 122F.  All flights grounded due to the current charts at that time did not have calculations for a temperature that high.

Chas

Boeing and other AC manufacturers redid their charts because of the 1990 heat wave. Now they go to 130 or so. 

Send some dry heat here will ya? We’ve had 80% humidity for the last 3 weeks!! Ugh.....,,,

Archived