SASS Wire Forum

Olympics, spiderwoman event

Wall rock climbing?  In my youth I spent a tremendous amount of time climbing real cliffs.  Some with ugly results and broken bones after impact with the ground, others with potentially lethal consequences in the result of a mistake.  This kind of climbing is more akin to gymnastics than actual rock climbing. 

28 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Well don't put it up that high....

Texas Lizard

I don't drink that much coffee.  I put it up there back when i could reach it.  My daughter and her husband are coming to visit next month and I'm going to have them move everything either up or down to where it's all between 2 1/2 and 6 feet off the floor.

10 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Wall rock climbing?  In my youth I spent a tremendous amount of time climbing real cliffs.  Some with ugly results and broken bones after impact with the ground, others with potentially lethal consequences in the result of a mistake.  This kind of climbing is more akin to gymnastics than actual rock climbing.

Well, climbing covers a wide range, from mountaineering in the Himalayas on one side to buildering (natural or artificial) rocks on the other extreme. All of them are "real" rock climbers (as they climb rocks). Yes, bouldering is more athletic than other climbing domains and scarcely exposed to danger. So, it's definitely a sport a not a adventure activity. The degree of difficulty is very high and participants aren't expected to reach the top. That's what it makes interesting to watch. It's about where you miss in what time. And of course, you want to minimize the risk of injuries or even death to the climbers.

Imho, bouldering calling "not actual rock climbing" is like saying that CAS is not a "real shooting sport/game" as we are just plinking at barn doors in spitting distance, hardly using our sights.

Respectfully, Equanimous Phil

4 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Well, climbing covers a wide range, from mountaineering in the Himalayas on one side to buildering (natural or artificial) rocks on the other extreme. All of them are "real" rock climbers (as they climb rocks). Yes, bouldering is more athletic than other climbing domains and scarcely exposed to danger. So, it's definitely a sport a not a adventure activity. The degree of difficulty is very high and participants aren't expected to reach the top. That's what it makes interesting to watch. It's about where you miss in what time. And of course, you want to minimize the risk of injuries or even death to the climbers.

Imho, bouldering calling "not actual rock climbing" is like saying that CAS is not a "real shooting sport/game" as we are just plinking at barn doors in spitting distance, hardly using our sights.

Respectfully, Equanimous Phil

I was referring to indoor climbing on manufactured climbing walls. 

From my perspective, the interesting part of climbing wasn't the physical activity.  It was figuring out the problem.  It was being out in nature.  It was everything but being inside a building and climbing on an manufactured wall.

45 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I was referring to indoor climbing on manufactured climbing walls. 

From my perspective, the interesting part of climbing wasn't the physical activity.  It was figuring out the problem.  It was being out in nature.  It was everything but being inside a building and climbing on an manufactured wall.

Yep!

I was a rock climber for a few years. The first time I went to an indoor climbing wall was the last.

It is good exercise for when you do actual climbing but nothing can replace  a climb on natural rock faces. And it is not just about the climb. It's about being out in nature, working with your friends to become a team. Camping and hiking. There's a lot more to rock climbing than scaling a wall and looking good while doing it.

Listen to y’all debate what’s “real” climbing or not.  Sounds like a conversation that begins “A cowboy, an IDPA, and a bullseye shooter walk into a bar.”

I’ve climbed on natural and synthetic vertical surfaces.  They both have their pros and cons.  

I’m at the stage of life where I wish I could climb again instead of just watching, but Time has imposed Her limitations.

I have nothing but greatest respect for the athleticism and grace of climbers, whether Alex Honnold or the Spider People in Tokyo.

Oh, 

Scoring is a combination of each climber’s place in the three disciplines. The places are multiplied together and lowest total wins. An example: if a climber places first in boulder, second in lead, 10th in speed, their total would be 20.

Archived