SASS Wire Forum

Scaling Down

That time of life  where radical change is inevitable and so a move back to my native state of Texas  near Austin looks to be a given.  Lots of stuff has to go but i want to hang to to most guns and reloading equipment.  Im thinking of storing these in an environmental controlled storage unit for 6 months or so. Does anyone else have experience with this or foresee any problems?

Why store them for 6 months? Why not just take them with you? I wouldn't store any of my guns in any storage place, I just don't trust 'em!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Why store them for 6 months? Why not just take them with you? I wouldn't store any of my guns in any storage place, I just don't trust 'em!!

There may not be room for them.  Will likely move in with daughter and family at least initially.  If can't find a house with a guest house or shop I may have to build one.  That or just keep a few.  Boy, that would be a tough decision.

Personally, I would not use a self storage facility for anything, especially firearms. Just too many drawbacks...

- Unloading/loading the items into the unit can be viewed by anyone who happens to be present at the time. This includes the people who work there. 

- Although they may claim to have security (cameras, passwords, etc), in reality, most of these places can be accessed any time by anybody with 1/2 a brain.

- Your items are subject to the environmental conditions of the facility. What happens when it floods or the ac fails.

- Unless it's a 24 hour access unit, you are limited to their hours.

- If, for any reason, you don't pay the storage bill on time...your stuff becomes their stuff. I know someone who had a medical problem that wound up in a hospital and then a rehab place after. His relatives knew about his "normal" bills (utility and such) but didn't know about the storage facility. The bill didn't get paid for a few months, they sold his items. I guess that they tried to notify him of the missing payments but it got through the cracks.

If it were me, I would ask a trusted friend to store my items for me and offer to compensate them for the trouble.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Personally, I would not use a self storage facility for anything, especially firearms. Just too many drawbacks...

- Unloading/loading the items into the unit can be viewed by anyone who happens to be present at the time. This includes the people who work there. 

- Although they may claim to have security (cameras, passwords, etc), in reality, most of these places can be accessed any time by anybody with 1/2 a brain.

- Your items are subject to the environmental conditions of the facility. What happens when it floods or the ac fails.

- Unless it's a 24 hour access unit, you are limited to their hours.

- If, for any reason, you don't pay the storage bill on time...your stuff becomes their stuff. I know someone who had a medical problem that wound up in a hospital and then a rehab place after. His relatives knew about his "normal" bills (utility and such) but didn't know about the storage facility. The bill didn't get paid for a few months, they sold his items. I guess that they tried to notify him of the missing payments but it got through the cracks.

If it were me, I would ask a trusted friend to store my items for me and offer to compensate them for the trouble.

If it were me, I would ask a trusted friend to store my items for me and offer to compensate them for the trouble

This!

If you are going to store them I would invest in some inexpensive steel cabinets to keep them in with some battery powered dessicant packs.

Check with your local banks too - some have safe deposit boxes of rather large capacity.  I've stored several very valuable pistols in one

once for several years while out of country, long guns not so much - but those fit in a friends safe.  Since the fee was so low and deducted

automatically from checking it was never a problem worrying about the security or having the account paid up.

SC

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

If you are going to store them I would invest in some inexpensive steel cabinets to keep them in with some battery powered dessicant packs.

Ditto!

Archived