SASS Wire Forum

Effective dry fire practice habits?

Wyo Joe

10 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

I was in the backyard today while the kiddos napped. Helped myself to some balls and baby chairs for targets. Lol

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I like the swinger bonus target way in the back.

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

And the "dump" playhouse. :P

21 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TOM:  those are good targets.

Really?! Don't want to be the grinch, but please tell me: When exactly can you invalidate the four firearm safety rules, that start with "Treat all guns as if they are always loaded" ?

If I lived in that house behind that bushes I wouldn't be amused...

Didn't blow the pic up to pixel size and did not see the house beyond the bushes.

I would never point anything towards someone's house, practicing or not.

Kinda afraid to even be seen outside with heinous point and bang kinda things. :huh:

Maybe that's his building and/or he knows no one is back there.

I didn't see any house either in my pix, so X-cuuuuuuuuuuse me for complimenting the guy

on his creativity of targets.

Besides, he lives in Tennessee and for all we know, he could be 'feuding' with those

neighbors.   If you noticed, he is wearing an official 'feudin' hat.

..........Widder

8 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Maybe that's his building and/or he knows no one is back there.

No, (unless he's Superman with X-ray vision) he cannot know if someone is behind that bushes or in that building. At most, he can think that nobody is there.

And even if I was a 100% sure that absolutely no one is present in my muzzle direction I wouldn't point a gun towards a children's playhouse and children's toys, but that's me...

For the record nobody lives in the building and I'm not afraid to be seen outside practicing without ammo on my property. As far as the targets, give me a break. Sorry to offend anyone.

2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Really?! Don't want to be the grinch, but please tell me: When exactly can you invalidate the four firearm safety rules, that start with "Treat all guns as if they are always loaded" ?

If I lived in that house behind that bushes I wouldn't be amused...

So...you'd never dry fire anywhere other than inside a steel vault? BTW, if you had a problem with what I was doing on my side of the bushes we'd both have a problem.

I hereby change your alias from Equanimous Phil to Sanctimonious Phil. 

12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

So...you'd never dry fire anywhere other than inside a steel vault?

Not a steel vault, but I practice dry firing in my basement and there's some dry firing after gun cleaning in my workshop against brick walls.

14 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

BTW, if you had a problem with what I was doing on my side of the bushes we'd both have a problem.

I wouldn't care what you do on your side of those bushes. But indeed, if you'd point a gun in my direction without a safe bullet barrier there would be definitely a problem. Until now I expected firearm owners who compete in shooting sports to abide common gun safety rules.

21 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I hereby change your alias from Equanimous Phil to Sanctimonious Phil.

Why this insult? :(

BTW, nobody answered this question:

2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

When exactly can you invalidate the four firearm safety rules

On 8/3/2021 at 6:42 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

For the record, AFTER my original Vaquero's were properly tuned, I dry fired those babies

1.5 million times each.

One of the transfer bars broke at approx 250,000 cycles.  The replacement never did break.

The transfer bar in the other Vaq broke at approx 350,000 cycles.  And that replacement bar never broke.

Mileage varies, for sure.   But I can attest that dry firing Vaquero's, especially Original Vaq., ain't

gonna do nothing but wear a callus on your thumbs.

:D

..........Widder

Also, the transfer bars won't break if you take 'em out.

1. He's keeping his muzzle pointed in a safe direction

2. He's treating his weapons as if they were loaded (see above)

3. He can see what is in front of and behind his target (sorry Mr. Bunny, shouldn't go back there)

4. Finger off trigger until ready to DRY FIRE, with inert ammo.

And remember, his kids are asleep in the house.

I'll add this in....

During the shutdown, I got my new rig from Mernickle. While waiting for matches to open up I practiced my draw, cocking, sight acquisition and reholstering. The flaw and bad habit I picked up was pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down with my thumb to avoid dry-firing my pistols.

Can you guess what happened at a match after things opened up again? 

46 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

1. He's keeping his muzzle pointed in a safe direction

2. He's treating his weapons as if they were loaded (see above)

3. He can see what is in front of and behind his target (sorry Mr. Bunny, shouldn't go back there)

4. Finger off trigger until ready to DRY FIRE, with inert ammo.

And remember, his kids are asleep in the house.

Maybe it was safe, maybe not. Too many unknown variables to dispute like age of kids (how long do they nap, get up themselves if can't sleep), wife somewhere around... 

I have to admit that targets actually triggered me more, looking at those chairs, I see children sitting there. If that (or any other) posting seemed to be sanctimonious to anyone I can live with that. 

I don't know how I can alay your fears any further.

You will have to do what YOU feel is safe and proper and so will Needle Nose Tom. (we all will)

I do think it's GOOD for children to be introduced to firearms by their parents in a SAFE and non-threatening way and NOT how our media portrays them.

34 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'll add this in....

During the shutdown, I got my new rig from Mernickle. While waiting for matches to open up I practiced my draw, cocking, sight acquisition and reholstering. The flaw and bad habit I picked up was pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down with my thumb to avoid dry-firing my pistols.

What you do in practice you will do in a match.   Something to keep in mind.

Last I will say about this because it has nothing to do with the original post. I can not and will not let it stand that in any way I was putting anyone ESPECIALLY my kids or wife or whoever else you want to imagine in danger. As far as the targets they are chairs and balls that don't have souls and do not identify as children.

1 hour ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Last I will say about this because it has nothing to do with the original post. I can not and will not let it stand that in any way I was putting anyone ESPECIALLY my kids or wife or whoever else you want to imagine in danger. As far as the targets they are chairs and balls that don't have souls and do not identify as children.

I wouldn't let it bother you. Some folks just want to be seen as holier than thou. 

I notice you're in Hendersonville. We have a shoot at Wartrace this Saturday. Be good to see you there.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I'll add this in....

This is what I was doing as well... riding down the hammer. Then I did it twice in my first match. The strips of old wetsuit I have in front of the hammer now should do just fine to protect things so I am banging away 1-200 dry fires a day on them... I do not want that to happen to me again in competition

27 minutes ago, Wyo Joe said:

Hey @Doc Shapiro any way I could buy a paper copy from you directly? I think this would be cool to hand to some other new shooters as a reference 

Wish I could.  I have been out for several years and it's rather expensive to print a new run.  They turn up on Amazon from time to time, but for quite a bit more than the original $20 price tag.

17 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Wish I could.  I have been out for several years and it's rather expensive to print a new run.  They turn up on Amazon from time to time, but for quite a bit more than the original $20 price tag.

yeah I was going to say they’re asking 90-120 bucks for ‘em on there

4 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I have to admit that targets actually triggered me more, looking at those chairs, I see children sitting there. If that (or any other) posting seemed to be sanctimonious to anyone I can live with that. 

First you saw a house..... but some of us didn't see a house.

Now your seeing children sitting in those chairs.   I've looked over and over again and I don't see nobody

in those chairs. 

I have no intent to label you Sanctimonious or anything.   I just wish I could see the same picture that

you're looking at.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Look up Amazon KDP, it's a print on demand service.

2 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Maybe put it at a print on demand place like: 

https://www.thebookpatch.com/

16 minutes ago, Deadeye Dillard said:

Look up Amazon KDP, it's a print on demand service.

thanks boss. Keep those videos coming by the way, watched the pistol transition one like dozens of times, all the rest at least a few times over, they’re great @Deadeye Dillard

Archived