SASS Wire Forum

Truck prices

Trigger Mike

I was looking around for my wife a new suburban as hers is getting old .  While looking I also looked for expeditions from Ford.  

I stumbled on a new Ford f250 shelby package.  127,000 plus 10,000 for market conditions.   GOODNESS.  

That got me to hankering for a f250.  Currently I drive a chevy 2500 to pull the tractor etc.  I found that used with 22000 miles was 80,000.  I checked dealers up in Atlanta and they had new ones but some were 98,000.  Makes me want to trade in all my cars and get a bike until prices drop.

Right now is a really bad time to buy a new car or truck. I was in an FCA/Dodge dealership a couple months ago, and the price stickers on their Jeeps, RAM trucks and Dodge Challengers blew my socks off. All had a $3,000 market conditions up-charge on them as well.

I heard car dealers are desperate for used cars as well, and they're actually paying people to get out of their leases early.

I'd never pay a cent towards "market" upcharges...number of dealers around here and up in Denver that always have that crap added on...been doing for years, way before COVID. There are always dealers will to deal if one is willing to travel. I'm sure best price deals are harder to finagle at this point in time, but I wouldn't bother with the aforementioned dealerships.

3 minutes ago, Amigo said:

I'd never pay a cent towards "market" upcharges...number of dealers around here and up in Denver that always have that crap added on...been doing for years, way before COVID. There are always dealers will to deal if one is willing to travel. I'm sure best price deals are harder to finagle at this point in time, but I wouldn't bother with the aforementioned dealerships.

I was getting the oil changed on my F150 in Longmont last week and they had a new Bronco (the real one, not the Sport).

$43,000 sticker, $68,000 with the "market conditions adjustment." $25K over sticker...

On the other hand I sold my Tacoma a month ago for $3K more than I paid for it new in 2016, so that was nice. 

6 minutes ago, Jon C said:

I was getting the oil changed on my F150 in Longmont last week and they had a new Bronco (the real one, not the Sport).

$43,000 sticker, $68,000 with the "market conditions adjustment." $25K over sticker...

On the other hand I sold my Tacoma a month ago for $3K more than I paid for it new in 2016, so that was nice. 

Haven't seen one of the new Broncos yet (just the little ones)...have read about some incredible prices people are asking for them once they have taken delivery and something about an ebay sale listing for $100,000. I bought a small pickup once that had a newly designed engine in it and that proved to be a mistake--will never buy a new model year vehicle, again!

I had serious sticker shock back in March when we were looking for a decent truck to pull a camper. Used prices were higher than new vehicles. It has gotten worse.

My Ol’ Green is paid for.  The air blows cold.  The power steering and power brakes still work well. Even the ABS does what it’s supposed to. The transmission shifts solid and the lockup works. The engine pulls better than it did new and MIGHT use a guart of oil between changes.  With a professional upgrade to the ECM, it gets around 17 mpg and runs on the cheap grade of gasoline.  It drives good and even with comprehensive coverage, it’s inexpensive to insure.

I giggle like a schoolgirl every time I pass a dealership, thinking about the money I am saving by not wasting money on some new truck that has all the garbage electronic fooferaw and crap that’ll quit, cause me to have it towed, and cost a fortune to repair when it does quit!

I can rebuild or repair EVERYTHING on this truck in my shop, by myself, and for a third or less than what I’ve seen spent on these new trucks that I pass, sitting on the side of the road.  I can’t say that about a new truck.

EDIT: It’s a 1997 Chevrolet C3500 HD dually pickup with 386,000+ miles on it and we’ve had it for nearly TWENTY years!!

I wonder what the stolen car/truck prices are?  Imagine if they are tacking on 25% or more on new cars what a stolen car would be worth.

The dealerships around here are very low in inventory.  Even the big regional farm equipment dealer has practically nothing on the lot.  Same all over.  

I'll be driving the 2002 K3500 Silverado with the Duramax Diesel and the Allison 6 speed transmission for a while, considering new truck prices.  Dad did good when he ordered it.  I'd rather he was still here, but I think of him every time I get into it.  

2002 Chevy 3500.jpg

I have my 2018 F150 and hope it lasts til 300K miles. Actually got the garage cleaned out from the last few boxes and got the beast into the garage!

garage.jpg

Our 2013 F150 just went past 180,000. 

The heater fan went out at about 90,000 miles.  Front brakes replaced at about 100,000.  Last winter we had a mysterious antifreeze leak that turned out to be an O-ring in a hose.  $2 part ended up costing $450 to repair.  Otherwise,  it has held up well.  We are watching and thinking about something new but not at these prices. 

All new trucks by every maker has had their MSRP jump at least $8000 from last year’s prices. The premium models jumped even more. 
The lack of electronic chips is being blamed and raw materials have supposedly gone up in price. 
Regardless, I am putting off replacing my wife’s Suburban this year. 

I got 58k on my little suv 2017 Buick Encore. Great gas mileage but I would like to get something a little bigger but certainly not now! My cars paid off!!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got 58k on my little suv 2017 Buick Encore. Great gas mileage but I would like to get something a little bigger but certainly not now! My cars paid off!!

Brother, that is the truth! Both vehicles paid off and I am in no hurry to replace either one!

My neighbor sold his 1-1/2 year old Chevy truck for $6K more than he paid for it. Classic supply & demand marketing aka Economics 101 basics. Reminds me of the old story about the guy who walks into a cigar shop and asks for a box of El Producto Queens. Proprietor gets a box and states $45 please. Buyer says Joes only charges $37.50. Proprietor: Why didn't you buy them from Joe? Buyer: He is out of them. Proprietor: When I'm out, they are only $30. 

You charge what the market is willing to pay. Once supply catches up with demand, the prices will stabilize.  I remember the ads in magazines after the end of WWII showing a crystal ball with the lettering inside "There is a Ford in your future." 

We have just started watching movies on Tubi. It's free with ads.  Many I don't even understand what they are sailing. 

Anyway,  one runs pretty often that I hadn't paid any attention to was a company that would buy your car online.  You just go through some wizard app and it'll tell you how much they well pay.  Then they come with a tow truck and pick it up and pay on the spot.

My Jeep Wrangler is paid off, and I keep getting letters in the mail from dealers wanting to buy it. 

Ain't gonna happen.

I want a new pickup, since I sold mine a couple of years ago, but I flat refuse to pay the unreasonable prices they are asking. 

Even financing it for six or more years, the monthly note is larger than my house note. Then when you add in the full coverage insurance...!!!! Yikes!!! :angry:

And they say a horse is expensive to own !!! :blink: 

Hey...car/truck manufacturers/dealers...Bulletin...with the obscene prices you are asking, you won't get my business, for a long, long time. I bet I ain't the only one. I'll ride my bicycle first. Actually, I'll just put off buying anything new, and make do with what I have. 

Let's just have a waiting game, between the dealerships, and me. Trust me, they will blink first. 

Steel costs are up 125% since last summer; aluminum about 85%.  Our state stopped making license plates in June because of aluminum availability.  Joe and Company have caused a frenzy of demand and a lack of supply in fuel, materials and labor.

Jimmy Carter created stagflation in the 1970s, something that experts said that was not logical.  Now we wait to see what these idiots will create.

My daily driver 93 f 150 died last year with a little over 500k  so I replaced it with an 87 with 70k. 

My tow rig is a 97 f 350 dually crew cab with 191k. It has more room than any new truck.     I won't buy a truck that costs more than my farm

15 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My Ol’ Green is paid for.  The air blows cold.  The power steering and power brakes still work well. Even the ABS does what it’s supposed to. The transmission shifts solid and the lockup works. The engine pulls better than it did new and MIGHT use a guart of oil between changes.  With a professional upgrade to the ECM, it gets around 17 mpg and runs on the cheap grade of gasoline.  It drives good and even with comprehensive coverage, it’s inexpensive to insure.

I giggle like a schoolgirl every time I pass a dealership, thinking about the money I am saving by not wasting money on some new truck that has all the garbage electronic fooferaw and crap that’ll quit, cause me to have it towed, and cost a fortune to repair when it does quit!

I can rebuild or repair EVERYTHING on this truck in my shop, by myself, and for a third or less than what I’ve seen spent on these new trucks that I pass, sitting on the side of the road.  I can’t say that about a new truck.

EDIT: It’s a 1997 Chevrolet C3500 HD dually pickup with 386,000+ miles on it and we’ve had it for nearly TWENTY years!!

He did neglect to mention the exhaust?

Imis

1 minute ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

He did neglect to mention the exhaust?

Imis

Oh!!  Straight pipes, front to back!!!

11 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Steel costs are up 125% since last summer; aluminum about 85%.  Our state stopped making license plates in June because of aluminum availability.  Joe and Company have caused a frenzy of demand and a lack of supply in fuel, materials and labor.

Jimmy Carter created stagflation in the 1970s, something that experts said that was not logical.  Now we wait to see what these idiots will create.

Dumbassery...Dumbassery of  the highest order!

On 8/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, Trigger Mike said:

Makes me want to trade in all my cars and get a bike until prices drop.

Good luck with that.

Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a beach house in San Diego for $14,000 or a new Chevy for $600.
These were both actual prices at one point in time.
Neither will ever, ever return to that price.

IMO, neither will the price of a new truck.

Prices will remain high as long as people are willing to pay them. If enough people refuse to buy a new vehicle unless that so-called "market adjustment fee" is removed and dealers are willing to negotiate again then prices will come down. Unfortunately rising prices are like rising taxes... most people grumble and complain but they pay it anyway.

19 hours ago, bgavin said:

beach house in San Diego for $14,000 or a new Chevy for $600

When those prices were around the average hourly wage was around $.75/hour.

Supply and demand. Ford has around 25,000 trucks sitting in a lot waiting  for the computer chip that makes them run/operate.

A large number of folk are retiring , selling their stick and brick homes, and buying RV's to live in full time. They all want tow vehicles.

Anyone who buys a truck with the Shelby, Kings Ranch, Harley package would also be willing to buy an orange bridge that is located in San Francisco Bay.

My 2018 Ford Flex has about 20,000 miles on it.  The lefthand turn signal doesn't always shut off after a left turn.  I can flick the lever to off with my pinky.  Should I sell it? :P Not planning to have the signal fixed yet. Cost of repair and lack of availability would not be good.

Got a 2019 F250 in Feb 2020. Just before all the stuff hit.

Could have sold it a month or so ago for more than I paid for it.

But then. How would I replace it. I love this truck. 

Sure glad I bought when I did. 

Still kept my old 2003 Dodge 3500.

Has the 5.9 liter diesel. So it might run forever. 

Still drive it most the time. Keeps the miles off the new one. 

I can put a carburetor and points type distributor in Ol’ Green and drive on!! Got spare parts to keep it running for as long as I’ll probably live.

I’m building a 1927 Model T coupe that’s using a 1958 Chevrolet 348 V8 and some really simple drive train and suspension parts.  It’ll be titled as a 1927 Model T.

So long as there are junk yards and I have a welder and machine shop facilities, I can survive and remain mobile!!

Archived