SASS Wire Forum

BICYCLES !!!!

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

No brakes is true but there is also no freewheel.

Isn’t that just amazing? I’m reminded of my tricycle with no freewheel. 

My son just took delivery of a single speed mountain bike. Yeah, he’s a pretty hardcore rider. Interesting part is the drivetrain is a belt instead of chain like Harleys. 

24 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

My son just took delivery of a single speed mountain bike. Yeah, he’s a pretty hardcore rider. Interesting part is the drivetrain is a belt instead of chain like Harleys. 

Can it coast?  I think so. Track bikes can’t.

45 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Those Kevlar fiber belts are twice as strong as a chain with one tenth the maintenance.

7 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Oh yeah it can coast, that’s what makes it a single speed. The “fixies” - fixed gear- are those that can’t, like the velodrome bikes. 

Thought so, there are times you just need to pick your butt up of the saddle and stand on the peddles.

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Bombing down hills was the best part. It’s what makes the climb with the effort!  ^_^

Till you hit a hole or rock....Then it is kiss your AXX goodbye....If real lucky maybe a good nose landing....Reshaping....

Texas Lizard

26 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I never rode so slow and so fast in a single day as when we pedaled up and down Independence Pass. 6 mph up the front side, 60 mph down the back. What a rush!

Don’t know if I’ve done Independence. I did two heart cycle tours, IIRC, Gunnison, South Fork, Durango, Telluride, Cortez, Narita, Grand Junction, and back to Gunnison.  The second year we added a stop before Gunnison.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Don’t know if I’ve done Independence. I did two heart cycle tours, IIRC, Gunnison, South Fork, Durango, Telluride, Cortez, Narita, Grand Junction, and back to Gunnison.  The second year we added a stop before Gunnison.

Cool!

I’ve ridden the mountain single track trails around Durango, but not the roads. Awesome scenery. Still have the Iron Horse jersey I got in town. 

Our road tour started in Aspen, then Leadville, Salida, Crested Butte, Hotchkiss, Glenwood Springs, Aspen. Passes crossed en route we’re Independence, Monarch and McClure. About 450 miles over 7 days. Total elevation climbed over the period was just over 39,000 ft. 

Archived