SASS Wire Forum

Ok here is another WTC with video

Yohan

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

We don't usually have "summertime" dress. Could be newer shooter allowance I guess. If that's even what PWB was talking about.

Gotcha. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I also appears he SWEPT some folks...... especially Reno Mustang, the TO.

:o

Showing unsafe gun handling videos isn't exactly something to "enjoy" at anyone expense.

..........Widder

you are correct widder I swept the loading table before I managed to get the barrel pointed down. I am hoping some can learn from this at my expense. I just completed 1 year in SASS cowboy action shooting and this was my first SDQ hopefully my last. Pistols were empty.

16 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

We don't usually have "summertime" dress. Could be newer shooter allowance I guess. If that's even what PWB was talking about.

Exactly.
I answered the "WtC" re the video presentation based on current S.A.S.S. rules...not taking into account any "local" variations or exceptions.

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Cringe moment.

I'll tell you about it Saturday plan on shooting with you guys :-) Maybe i'll keep everything pointed down range :-) Now don't you want me on your Posse :-)

3 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I agree with Phantom (WHAT?) I don't get the staging of the first pistol only to pick it up and reholster when done with both (yes, I know he staged the SECOND one). I do get, when finishing with pistols, restaging the first and not having to holster on the clock, but I think it leads to bad habits (hence, what we have here). Don't get into the habit and you won't take the chance of sweeping the whole left side of the gallery. And that fake to the right before going back had the TO mving away and unable to stop the shooter from this heinous act. Hopefully you took a tongue lashing (or, are now from Wire folk) and took the "lesson to heart.

I was supposed to have re-holstered after shooting the pistols mind set which changed just prior to going to the line was I was going to shoot pistols last but then decided to shoot them mid stream as I walked to the line but not all my faculties talked to each other :-) I am welcoming all remarks as I know what I did why I did it and am pretty sure this will not happen again. With that said there may be some new or even old shooters can learn from this with the visual. My hope is it helps someone and I can now laugh at myself because what is missing from this is the Razzing I took off camera :-) Honestly some that witnessed this didn't realized what had happened and I really commend Reno Mustang on his kindness when it came to having to give me the SDQ. I knew i had did something wrong but was already on the move and even though i got that 150 second penalty I had a goal in mind as far as my time per stage average which I did manage based on raw time but like my buddy Ocoee Red say Could shoulda woulda :-)

3 hours ago, T-Bone Shorty said:

Not to pile on, but where both pistols out of leather at the same time?   (Before the other stuff…)

Nope I remembered to put the right one in leather after I had laid it on the table then holstered it only to do the same with my left pistol DUH

7 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I was supposed to have re-holstered after shooting the pistols mind set which changed just prior to going to the line was I was going to shoot pistols last but then decided to shoot them mid stream as I walked to the line but not all my faculties talked to each other :-) I am welcoming all remarks as I know what I did why I did it and am pretty sure this will not happen again. With that said there may be some new or even old shooters can learn from this with the visual. My hope is it helps someone and I can now laugh at myself because what is missing from this is the Razzing I took off camera :-) Honestly some that witnessed this didn't realized what had happened and I really commend Reno Mustang on his kindness when it came to having to give me the SDQ. I knew i had did something wrong but was already on the move and even though i got that 150 second penalty I had a goal in mind as far as my time per stage average which I did manage based on raw time but like my buddy Ocoee Red say Could shoulda woulda :-)

Something I learned in my first year. Never change your mind after you leave the loading table. Make your plan for the stage at the loading table, run through it in your head a couple times and stick with it. If you aren't sure how you are going to shoot a stage, you're not ready, let someone else go ahead of you and figure it out.

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

You gots choices...  SDQ if the revolver is found to be empty.  MDQ if the revolver is found to contain any rounds.  Or, an SDQ for "- Unsafe firearm handling."

As soon as this shooter got turned around I would have stopped him, used it as a teaching moment, and assessed the penalty.  Was there anything wrong with letting him finish out with the shotgun?  No.  But, he demonstrated that he was confused and had committed a major safety violation.  Time for him to sit down for a moment and gather himself together.  If he was a shooter moving at a speed where I could not stop safely, I would have let him finish.

What bothers me is that in the video, no one seems to have recognized the problem.

Reno and Dixie recognized it immediately however when you get 250 pounds moving that fast it doesn't just stop on a dime :-)  I don't think Reno was about to step in front me :-) but if you notice he immediately tapped me on the shoulder and gave my raw time to the Timekeeper as well as turned back to me to tell me of my SDQ not on video where the explanation took place and everything. Honestly I am glad Reno caught it because even though I did what I did I actually had thought I grabbed my pistol with my left hand instead of my right hand and holstered it as I turned back which is not what happened at all.  But a lot did not see what had happened as you thought.

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Everybody is congratulating him and signaling clean?  T.O. doesn't see a problem?

Yes Reno saw it immediately he still gave me my raw time before telling me of my SDQ 

28 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I'll tell you about it Saturday plan on shooting with you guys :-) Maybe i'll keep everything pointed down range :-) Now don't you want me on your Posse :-)

You coming to Tennessee State this year?  If so look me up. I'll be the one making lots of smoke and shooting funny guns. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

We only saw part of the video and I wasn't there.  I can say knowing both Yohan and Reno Mustang, this problem was most likely addressed off camera.  Reno is very good about handling these situations and addressing the problem with the shooter.  We just aren't privy here to how Reno Mustang dealt with with. 

Thanks for sharing this Yohan...not easy to subject yourself to comments here.

You are correct my SDQ was addressed off Camera and yes Reno immediately gave me my SDQ with explanation. I know I deserved it but it was to late at that point. Hey I may be shooting with you guys Saturday do ya feel lucky :-)

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

MDQ for:

Two accumulated SDQ penalties (even on the same stage). *This does not apply to a single action that carries multiple penalties (e.g. breaking the 170° with an unloaded firearm AND simultaneously sweeping someone).
SHB p.23

1. SDQ for:
"The use or presence of any of the listed outlawed items, equipment, or the use of a non-SASS legal firearm will result in a stage Disqualification penalty for each stage the illegal item(s) is used."
SHB p.4

2. SDQ for:
"Violation of the 170° Safety Rule/Failure to maintain appropriate muzzle control."
SHB p.22

I only violated the 170 and the call was a SDQ 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I typically do restage on counter when pistols are last. Assuming there is a good counter/table to do it on. If a barrel or narrow table probably not.

My reasoning:

1) it is quicker. 
2) Removes chance of missing holster and dropping gun. 

agreed it is not hugely faster. But last year I won my category at Texas state by 1.01 seconds. So every bit helps! 

I shoot cross draw, normally like to shoot my crossdraw first, switch hands, reholster with my left hand while drawing 2nd (strong side) pistol with right hand. There is definitely a time savings, plus a hand to hand transfer and a holstering. 

your mileage may and probably does vary. What works for me may not be best for you. 

you won by 1.01 and at EOT I missed out on a buckle in my category by 0.19 of a second 

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You coming to Tennessee State this year?  If so look me up. I'll be the one making lots of smoke and shooting funny guns. 

Yes I am shooting State this year!!

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The video clearly shows it shows it should have been a MDQ.

OLG 

I don't see how it was a MDQ please explain not that it matters I came in last anyway. But please explain MDQ? All of my equipment was legal, Summer dress was allowed, pistols were unload and a 170 with sweep is only 1 SDQ what was my other SDQ. If you think it is because both pistols were out momentarily the loaded pistol had not been cocked until after I re-holstered my empty. I'll take the MDQ but don't see it. I call stuff on myself all the time only way I know to get better is to know your mistakes.

14 minutes ago, Yohan said:

you won by 1.01 and at EOT I missed out on a buckle in my category by 0.19 of a second 

Yes, fractions of seconds count. And at a bigger match, most any hiccup gonna put you out of the chips! 

4 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I don't see how it was a MDQ please explain not that it matters I came in last anyway. But please explain MDQ? All of my equipment was legal, Summer dress was allowed, pistols were unload and a 170 with sweep is only 1 SDQ what was my other SDQ. If you think it is because both pistols were out momentarily the loaded pistol had not been cocked until after I re-holstered my empty. I'll take the MDQ but don't see it. I call stuff on myself all the time only way I know to get better is to know your mistakes.

You can have 2 pistols out at one time. Both cannot be loaded. Dualist frequently hold their first pistol while shooting 2nd pistol. 

As you said (and I assumed) summertime store was allowed, so no SDQ for short sleeved shirt. 
SDQ for breaking 170, but given that the sweeping with empty firearm and breaking 170 was all one infraction, only 1 SDQ given, not 2 which would be a MDQ. 

Just supposing you committed another SDQ on this stage, say broke 170 with shotgun or got so rattled you forgot to clear a gun, that would be grounds for MDQ as those are separate infractions from the pistol 

35 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yes, fractions of seconds count. And at a bigger match, most any hiccup gonna put you out of the chips! 

I may have miss-read PWB's post. 

Here goes-you broke the 170= 1st SDQ

You also 'swept' folks with the muzzle(unsafe gun handling)= 2nd SDQ

2 SDQ's=MDQ....

OLG

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

2 SDQ's=MDQ....

OLG

Two accumulated SDQ penalties (even on the same stage). *This does not apply to a single action that carries multiple penalties (e.g. breaking the 170° with an unloaded firearm AND simultaneously sweeping someone).

These occurred during the same instance as I understand it only a SDQ. I'll check with Reno he was the TO that called the SDQ and if he wants to change it to MDQ I have no problem.

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

2 SDQ's=MDQ....

OLG

MDQ fir Two accumulated SDQ penalties (even on the same stage). *This does not apply to a single action that carries multiple penalties (e.g. breaking the 170° with an unloaded firearm AND simultaneously sweeping someone).

I am with Phantom on this if your gonna play cowboy dress the part sure its hot but dressing cool gives an unfair advantage IMHO 

7 minutes ago, Will Burn Powder said:

I am with Phantom on this if your gonna play cowboy dress the part sure its hot but dressing cool gives an unfair advantage IMHO 

Got my bucket of buttered popcorn ready :D

OLG

Archived