SASS Wire Forum

Thanks for that article Sue. :)

When I was younger I really didn't appreciate Elmer Keith the way I do today. I had two of his books that someone gave me and I gave them away because I had no interest in sixguns... Now I have no interest in semiautos. Go figure.

I never had an interest in semi-autos.
The closest I ever got was wanting to inherit my Dad's 1911.. as it was what I learned on.
But he had given it away to a friend.

He did leave me a S&W 9mm of some sort.. I disliked it SO much, I traded it to a friend.

If you read Elmer's book "Sixguns",  you'll pretty much covered everything you need to know about revolvers. 

Seen Skeeter Skelton at the NRA convention in Orlando one time.  He looked to be in an important conversation.  I hung back waiting for a break in the conversation that didn't come.  I decided to move on and come back.  When I did,  he was gone.

Elmer Keith's son was there selling books and had items to show and tell.  Elmer had just passed away.   I had ordered an autographed copy of "Hell, I was there!" .  I got the book but it was signed by Elinor with a note that Elmer was not feeling well enough to sign. 

I did not get to meet Mr. Keith, or Skeeter, but I got to meet Bill Jordon at one of his book signings. Very nice man, and we talked a bit. 

I am glad they all wrote things, for the future generations to enjoy, and learn from. Many of their first edition books are really going for some amazingly high prices, which is a tribute to them. They were gifts, to the rest of us. 

Great post, by a great Gal. :D

Thanks.

W.K. 

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I did not get to meet Mr. Keith, or Skeeter, but I got to meet Bill Jordon at one of his book signings. Very nice man, and we talked a bit. 

I am glad they all wrote things, for the future generations to enjoy, and learn from. Many of their first edition books are really going for some amazingly high prices, which is a tribute to them. They were gifts, to the rest of us. 

Great post, by a great Gal. :D

Thanks.

W.K. 

I had to look him up...hate to admit I did not know who he was!!!

Enh... what good is it without a matching second?  I'll pass.  ^_^

GAWD but that's a gorgeous revolver~!!  :blush:  :wub:

On 8/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Enh... what good is it without a matching second?  I'll pass.  ^_^

GAWD but that's a gorgeous revolver~!!  :blush:  :wub:

I agree 100%.  It’s why I have mixed feelings about my Schofield and End of Trail SAA.  Finding a pair for either one is too much $$$.

Met Elmer in 77 or 78 and was able to talk to him occasionally.  

4 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Met Elmer in 77 or 78 and was able to talk to him occasionally.  

Was that at the NRA convention in the old Salt Palace ? That is where I first met him myself. Also Skeeter and Charles Askins.

I did exchange a couple of letters with Elmer a year or so later, but they were about a rifle I was building.

Rex :D

On 8/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I had to look him up...hate to admit I did not know who he was!!!

You have many enjoyable evenings of reading coming up in the next several years.

And after you are done with Mr. Keith look up Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton.

Then go for Jack O’Connor and George Nonte. 
Throw in Peter Capstick for African adventures. 

Archived