SASS Wire Forum

Rough Rider won't stay in full cock

Rev Moonshine

Hello all need some help here.  My boy shoots a pair of rough riders in 22lr.  The one having problems we got back in April.  The other is a year older if that makes a difference.  What happens on the newer one is when we pull the hammer back all the way (4th click) it will pause a moment before going back to half cock position.  We have put about 100 rounds through it no issues.  It started doing this during some dry fire practice last night.  

I have taken the gun apart all the springs etc. are intact.  I then took the working gun apart and one by one swapped internal parts between the 2 guns seeing if I could replicate the issue on the working gun (or fix it on the bad one).  I completely swapped the guts between the 2 pistols and the bad gun stayed bad and the good gun stayed good.  

I called Heritage and they will fix it under warranty  but I have to pay to send it to them.  Anyone have any ideas for me to try before I pay $50 shipping to fix a $150 gun?  

Thanks in advance!

You get what you pay for.  Heritage Rough Rider .22lr revolvers are JUNK!   The only reason wholesale distributors carry them to sell to retail gun shops is because Taurus owns Heritage, and if wholesalers want Taurus products they MUST carry Heritage revolvers.  

This is not BS.  I manage a retail gun shop in AZ, and this is what I am told by my wholesalers. 

Good luck fixing this gun.  Had a customer who we sent his NEW gun to Heritage for warranty, and after 9 months they told him is was NOT repairable even though it was a timing problem.  CASN'T FIX ONE OF THEIR OWN GUNS WITH A TIMING PROBLEM!!!!  Finally got him a new gun and you could not even cock it because the firing pin was stuck forward and locked up the gun.  WHO CHECKED THIS PIECE OF JUNK OUT BEFORE IT WAS SHIPPED FROM THE FACTORY?  Well 3 months later got him a new gun that seemed to work.

Have a store policy that we will NEVER, EVER sell a Heritage Rough Rider .22lr revolver again.

9 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

You get what you pay for.  Heritage Rough Rider .22lr revolvers are JUNK!   The only reason wholesale distributors carry them to sell to retail gun shops is because Taurus owns Heritage, and if wholesalers want Taurus products they MUST carry Heritage revolvers.  

This is not BS.  I manage a retail gun shop in AZ, and this is what I am told by my wholesalers. 

Good luck fixing this gun.  Had a customer who we sent his NEW gun to Heritage for warranty, and after 9 months they told him is was NOT repairable even though it was a timing problem.  CASN'T FIX ONE OF THEIR OWN GUNS WITH A TIMING PROBLEM!!!!  Finally got him a new gun and you could not even cock it because the firing pin was stuck forward and locked up the gun.  WHO CHECKED THIS PIECE OF JUNK OUT BEFORE IT WAS SHIPPED FROM THE FACTORY?  Well 3 months later got him a new gun that seemed to work.

Have a store policy that we will NEVER, EVER sell a Heritage Rough Rider .22lr revolver again.

I've had good luck with Heritage (selling, not owning)...and so have a lot of other folks (end users).

They are inexpensive and that can lead to issues like this where the cost of having someone (including the factory because of shipping), work on it is not cost effective.

Kinda comes down to the user becoming a "gunsmith" to the extent that they can fix the problem themselves. Or, if there is a sympathetic local gunsmith that'll help out.

Phantom

PS: Just cuz distributors carry something doesn't mean the retailer has too. ;)

I also sell them too.

Some guys don't want to spend much money on a trapping six-gun.

As for me, I do not like them, but the warranty service has actually been great.

Dryfiring a .22 RF?  Make sure that you are using dummies or empties

Was wondering if the trigger resets?    Cock the hammer as normal and see if trigger clicks forward.   If it doesn't, try pushing forward on rear side of trigger.    GW

So it turns out I lied in my OP.  I said I swapped all the internals between guns, but turns out I hadn't tried the triggers themselves.  Seems that's what went bad on the one.  Swapped triggers between guns and the problem followed the trigger.  Took a file to it and gave it a bit of an edge back and now it seems to function fine.  Of course only a range trip will say for certain.

Don't know what or why but Original LGs post is what got me thinking and made me realize I hadn't tried swapping triggers, so thanks for the kick in the brain :)

Thanks everyone for helping out, even if for some it was to only tell me I wasted my money...

33 minutes ago, Rev Moonshine said:

Thanks everyone for helping out, even if for some it was to only tell me I wasted my money...

Pay no attention...you didn't waste your money.

Enjoy them!

Phantom

1 hour ago, Rev Moonshine said:

So it turns out I lied in my OP.  I said I swapped all the internals between guns, but turns out I hadn't tried the triggers themselves.  Seems that's what went bad on the one.  Swapped triggers between guns and the problem followed the trigger.  Took a file to it and gave it a bit of an edge back and now it seems to function fine.  Of course only a range trip will say for certain.

Don't know what or why but Original LGs post is what got me thinking and made me realize I hadn't tried swapping triggers, so thanks for the kick in the brain :)

If you can re-shape that trigger nose with just a file then the metal is too soft. It will either need to be re-hardened or replaced.

BTW,

I suggest you not use it until it's fixed. A soft trigger nose can eventually slip off  possible resulting in a negligent discharge.

There's nothing wrong with your Rough Riders, as far as the value you got for your money. The trigger... yes, bad deal but ALL mechanical things can break.

You didn't buy Colts, so don't expect Colt quality. Yeah, yeah, I know "but the Ruger Wranglers..." bla, bla, bla. When I got Rough Riders for my girl, there were no Ruger Wranglers. I pulled em apart, cleaned and smoothed and she ran the pants off em for 4 years. Pretty good value for less than $300!

And your dry firing should ALWAYS be done with the hammer block on. 22 "snap caps" are NOT made for dropping the hammer on.

5 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

If you can re-shape that trigger nose with just a file then the metal is too soft. It will either need to be re-hardened or replaced.

BTW,

I suggest you not use it until it's fixed. A soft trigger nose can eventually slip off  possible resulting in a negligent discharge.

What he said X2!

OLG 

I have a FIE Texas Ranger .22  caliber similar to Heritage given to me by my family as a X-mas present in 1988. No problems what so ever and just plain fantastic.  Very accurate little pistol.  True fact do not dry fire with out empty shells installed.

Did Heritage buy out FIE? That's my question?

Archived