SASS Wire Forum

"Who Shoots Into Someone Else's Target?"

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/olympics-shooting-fuming-kulish-blows-medal-chance-by-hitting-rivals-target/ar-AAMQtSh?ocid=uxbndlbing

His nightmare unfolded in the seventh series when he fired at a rival's target, and was soon the first of the eight shooters to be eliminated after his 35th shot was deemed to be worth nought.

More than his ouster, the manner in which it happened rankled the shooter.

"I shot into someone else's target," the 28-year-old fumed.

"I am not happy. Who shoots into someone else's target? Only people like me."

Kulish at least knows what caused the lapse in his concentration.

"The button on my jacket came undone and I felt some discomfort, but time passed and I had to make a shot so I didn't notice that I was already aiming for someone else's target."

Many years ago when I was in Basic Training and did the required night fire exercise, I fired the required 10 rounds at my target. The Lt said “ you would do better if you shot at your own target”. Funny thing was I had ten holes in my target.  Never accused that Lt of being intelligent.

Qualifying once on the Army's alternate 25 meter paper target, I pulled my target to score, and lo and behold I had hit 60 out of 40 on the paper, with well over 40 target hits. The guy to my right had  20 on his. Yep, when he changed  20 rd. magazines, he started shooting my target. 

Yes it is!!!    Did it at Regional Bullseye match on slow fire.   Stared at gun for a moment to relax, then raised 45 and popped the target next to mine.   Damn,  Guy didnt get upset cause gave him a X.   Lived down embaresment , by getting Gold in the leg match later that day.  GW

I try to go to all the Turkey shoots around here. Some are for money, some are for Turkeys, ham, or bacon. Had a couple ole boys trying to pull a fast one one time. They'd get next to each other on the line and both fire at one or the others target. After a couple rounds of one of them always totally missing his target and the other one winning, they got the kebash put on them.

My first paying department had one of those guys who would swagger about anytime firearms quals got announced.  He regularly shot 100% on his qualifications.  There were several of us who were capable of that, but he was the only one in the department who made a big deal of it.  So, a buddy and I would make sure we got one either side of Mr. Wonderful, and waste a round to the area outside of the scoring rings on his target.  Since we only lost a round each, and he had two rounds down on his target, we always outscored him.

Thankfully, the range master never counted the holes on Mr. Wonderful's target to find there were 62 instead of the required 60.  He just counted the obvious ones that were outside the scoring rings.  

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

My first paying department had one of those guys who would swagger about anytime firearms quals got announced.  He regularly shot 100% on his qualifications.  There were several of us who were capable of that, but he was the only one in the department who made a big deal of it.  So, a buddy and I would make sure we got one either side of Mr. Wonderful, and waste a round to the area outside of the scoring rings on his target.  Since we only lost a round each, and he had two rounds down on his target, we always outscored him.

Thankfully, the range master never counted the holes on Mr. Wonderful's target to find there were 62 instead of the required 60.  He just counted the obvious ones that were outside the scoring rings.  

Brilliant!

At the indoor range I frequent I was testing some new .38 loads. On one target I had a couple of fliers. Then I noticed I counted 8 rounds, not 6. The two knuckleheads in the lane next to me thought it was funny. I laughed and asked them not to do that. I guess they had to do it one last time on my last target. 
As I was putting my stuff away the one guy sends a tennis ball on a string down range. The range sells them as .22 fun targets. He set it at 10 yards and they were loading 10/22 mags. 
I went ahead and got my S&W 25 out and loaded one .45 Colt round and took aim and put a nice big hole in their little ball and the ball spun around the target holder about 15 or 20 times so the string was all wrapped around it and the ball was dangling only a couple of inches from the target holder. 
I put my gun back in its case, grabbed my range bag and wished them a nice day and left. ;)

We had a fellow that wasn't one to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt.  We loaded up some blanks and recruited some other counters.  As the blanks would not work though the rifle the joke was laid on the pistols.  The pistol targets were placed with a good dirt background very easy to see a miss.  I was called to the line and proceeded to run the stage ending with the pistols.  The butt of the joke indicated a number of misses however the other counters showed clean.  He exclaimed "I never saw or heard a hit"  the other counters asked if he had seen a miss.  Out came the rule book "well if you think its a miss its a hit"  He was not happy.  In fact he was down right mad.  I then offered to shoot it again just to settle any argument and proceeded to do so.  I believe he hated me for that the rest of his life.  I am here to tell you I'm totally sorry we picked on him because some people can not take a joke.      

10 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I helped a couple of fellas in basic training.

They needed it

kR

When I was comparing notes with my uncle after returning from Basic, he said when he went through, guys who had shot Expert, himself included, went out the following day wearing  the uniforms of guys that hadn’t been able to qualify, and instructions to just shoot well enough to qualify,

An old man one time handed me a Garand.

He'd taken the thousand yard trophy at Camp Perry.

He said to hit his target, he aimed at his neighbor's, and the wind drift was just right to carry onto his.

30 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

How do Olympic rules score the extra hole in the neighbor’s target? How can they tell which one is not his?

Seamus

Not sure about Olympics, but in Bullseye the man with extra holes receives the value of the of the you count the lowest scoring  shots   I.E.   11 shots on target you score the lowest 10       GW

From the article:

"We don't have a shooting range and that is a problem. We have to go abroad to train and that is a problem. For now there is no solution," he said.

"I have a shooting range in my city, but it only has five targets so it is impossible to hold competitions there.

"There is no place to hold competitions; there is no place to grow new athletes and that is a problem," added Kulish.

He needs to come here to the USA where shooting isn't considered a taboo sport.

Shooting rifle from seated, I couldn't get comfy and kept shifting around, due to a minor injury.

Finally got settled and opened, shooting two at each bull on a five bull target.

Uncoiled from my position and looked through the spotting scope - at an untouched target!

"What the????? I had a good sight picture when I fired. "

The older shooter beside me laughed and said; "Young fellow, have a look at my target!" You scored 100, but on mine!"

I bought him a beer later.

On 8/3/2021 at 11:07 AM, G W Wade said:

Not sure about Olympics, but in Bullseye the man with extra holes receives the value of the of the you count the lowest scoring  shots   I.E.   11 shots on target you score the lowest 10       GW

I believe that’s the NRA rule as well and it makes sense if someone fires additional rounds at his own target but it seems terribly unfair to the innocent shooter next door if someone else hits his target. 

Seamus

My best friend/brother from another Mother/God-Father to my son and I used to shoot at an indoor range, where Linda, a very pretty college student would join us, learning to shoot handgun.

One evening, after the thundering herd had left, Linda was shooting her .22 and Bill and I decided to shoot our S & W model 52's either side of her, as she wanted to get used to the distraction.

At a wink and a nod, Bill and I both opened on her 20 yard target and shot the black from it.

Linda had to put her gun and cease, she was laughing so hard.

We then knew her as Linda Malcolm. She later married and became Linda Thom.

She had the last laugh though, winning Gold at the 1984 Olympics for Pistol.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:21 PM, DocWard said:

Qualifying once on the Army's alternate 25 meter paper target, I pulled my target to score, and lo and behold I had hit 60 out of 40 on the paper, with well over 40 target hits. The guy to my right had  20 on his. Yep, when he changed  20 rd. magazines, he started shooting my target. 

At the pistol range, myself and another Army warrant officer were standing on each side of a female 2LT.  The 2LT on all previous attempts had failed to qualify.  However, after having two warrant officers beside her, she qualified! 

Some years ago I came across a Sig 220 in a LGS and the owner said the barrel was bad, had suddenly started spraying all over. Knowing that Sig barrels usually last forever I bought it at a bargain price. Took it home and scrubbed the snot out of it and when I got to the range it was a tack driver. A couple weeks later I was talking to another LEO and complimented him on his new 1911. He told me he was a little ticked over buying it, as he had been qualifying and all of a sudden his rounds were all over the target so he sold his beloved 220. Then found out later the guy shooting next to him had been deliberately shooting all over his target as a practical joke! I did sell him his old 220 back after hearing the tale.

It can happen in CAS also. 

Blackwater can attest to this tale.  He was there!

On the last stage of the day at a CAS match, I was assessed 20 misses. :o  I unwittingly shot the rifle targets with my revolvers and the pistol targets with my rifle.  :blush:

I think I was assessed a penalty also.

Life does have its difficulties.  :(

I was a newly minted Deputy Marshal.  Marshal arranged with the City police for us to qualify at the City's range.  Marshal had asked if I have ever shot a revolver before.  No, I never had.  Marshall qualified first then it was my turn.  Half way though my qualification I was reloading when the Marshal said, "Thought said you never shot a revolver!"   I was just trying to do my best and evidently I was doing too good?  "Revolver no, rifle yes" I answered.  Marshal then told me if I beat him I was fired!  Well I needed the job and I didn't know if he was kidding me or not.  I just continued to do the best I could.  I ended up tying the Marshal's score.  To this day he thinks I did that on purpose and to tell y'all honestly....

Then there was the SASS match were I shot the rifle targets with my pistols.  :o

The junior rifle club on base used to shoot indoors in converted unused bldgs.  22s into std bullseye targets apparently got boring for me after a while but the wooden clothes pins holding the targets on the support wires reacted nicely.   It does draw the attention of the range officers, ie the Dads of the shooters.

Back in "The Day" when I was a lot younger and shot well, Bill and I would sometimes shoot the pins holding our victims target to the back board, using our Medalists.

Still have that pistol and all it's accoutrements.

Browning Medalist in .22 LR 027 (2).JPG

Archived