SASS Wire Forum

How do you know when it’s time to put down a pet

Euthanizing a pet is a truly hard decision. One has to look at the quality of life the pet has as well as your reasons for considering euthanizing a pet. 

If a pet is on meds and the meds are not helping, the pet is suffering or the side effects of the medication are  harming the pet and it's quality of life is terrible it may be time to consider putting the per to sleep. You also have to look at whether or not your reasons for keeping the pet alive are purely selfish reasons.

No one can tell you when you should euthanize your pet. I am pretty sure that you will know when the time is right.

Never an easy decision.   I will be facing that choice soon as well.  We have a cat that has been with us for 17 years now and based on the bloodwork this week his kidneys are failing.   He has been loosing weight and moving much more slowly.   I expect it will become more clear as the time gets closer.   The hardest part of owning a pet. 

My experiences..

Freckles...a pup that had nuero issues...she would have siezures. First two months, she just did not 'grow'. She started gaining weight and 'growing', then a month later the siezures started again. The vet tried the meds to calm them...by the end of the day, he had given that pup enough to have calmed a great Dane. He said she would be no more than a rag doll her entire life...we said goodbye.

Destiny Cloud...a dog given us when her owner moved. We had Destiny about 3 weeks...and son found her standing stiff over her water bowl. The vet said she had a tumor inside that had burst...and that he could not age her, but she was a very OLD dog...said goodbye.

Ginger, had her from 6 weeks...she had a mammory tumor we kept an eye on for 5 years...never bothered her. It did finally grow and swell, and she did show pain signs. Went to vet for removal...but at 16, her heart was not strong enough to survive...under vet suggestion, we said goodbye.

Now...we have several loved pets burried on the property, some natural, some put down, one done in by a 6' rattlesnake.

All very hard.

The last to go was Georgia... also a mammory tumor, wich was removed and grew back a few years later... with her, she showed no pain...just slowed down...and I watched her move from her doghouse to her favorite sunny spot and lay down. A few hours later, I knew she had gone on...and Shanley and I put her by her 'family' later that afternoon. She was 16.

I suppose that an animal who shows pain should be helped, and most time, for quality, should be put down.

Hugs and prayers for your decision.

When the pet's quality of life has diminished to the point that no reasonable action will result in a healthy outcome, it's time to let them go. 

I have had surgeries done on pets to give them a chance at a longer life, and have realized that sometimes you do what's best for them, no matter how hard it is on you. 

Appetite is a good key.  If the pet continues to eat and drink voluntarily without experiencing vomiting and/or diarrhea, then their discomfort level is not too bad.  If a pet feels so bad that it shows no interest in food, or is in too much pain to eat on their own, then euthanasia is a reasonable choice.

Voluntary movement is another good key.  If the pet still enjoys following you around, or getting up and looking out the window, exhibiting curiosity, then the aches and pains are not too bad.  If the pet really has to struggle to get up and move around, or if it cannot walk around on its own, or obviously does not enjoy moving around, then euthanasia is reasonable.

Incontinence is a reasonable key.  If the pet is soiling itself with feces or urine, or having accidents in the house, then you both deserve relief from that indignity.

bgavin is correct, most pet owners wait too long.  And that is understandable.  It's the price we pay for taking care of them and helping them live so long.

24 years experience as a small animal veterinarian here.  It did not make it easier for me with our pets.

12 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Appetite is a good key.  If the pet continues to eat and drink voluntarily without experiencing vomiting and/or diarrhea, then their discomfort level is not too bad.  If a pet feels so bad that it shows no interest in food, or is in too much pain to eat on their own, then euthanasia is a reasonable choice.

Voluntary movement is another good key.  If the pet still enjoys following you around, or getting up and looking out the window, exhibiting curiosity, then the aches and pains are not too bad.  If the pet really has to struggle to get up and move around, or if it cannot walk around on its own, or obviously does not enjoy moving around, then euthanasia is reasonable.

Incontinence is a reasonable key.  If the pet is soiling itself with feces or urine, or having accidents in the house, then you both deserve relief from that indignity.

bgavin is correct, most pet owners wait too long.  And that is understandable.  It's the price we pay for taking care of them and helping them live so long.

24 years experience as a small animal veterinarian here.  It did not make it easier for me with our pets.

She eats, and drinks and still loves to lap sit, and follow me around the house. Incontinence is the problem. We’re using tiny dog diapers. 

15 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

She eats, and drinks and still loves to lap sit, and follow me around the house. Incontinence is the problem. We’re using tiny dog diapers. 

The final key, which I should have included in my previous post:

When a pet becomes a source of worry or concern, rather than a pleasant companion whose presence you enjoy, then euthanasia is reasonable.

I would never criticize a pet owner for choosing to euthanize an incontinent pet.  It simply comes down to how much you want to tolerate.  It is a bit easier to euthanize a pet in constant pain.  We can more easily justify giving them relief.  Incontinence is one of the tougher ones, but I stand by my guideline.  When her incontinence becomes a cause for worry or irritation for you and family members, it's time.

19 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The final key, which I should have included in my previous post:

When a pet becomes a source of worry or concern, rather than a pleasant companion whose presence you enjoy, then euthanasia is reasonable.

I would never criticize a pet owner for choosing to euthanize an incontinent pet.  It simply comes down to how much you want to tolerate.  It is a bit easier to euthanize a pet in constant pain.  We can more easily justify giving them relief.  Incontinence is one of the tougher ones, but I stand by my guideline.  When her incontinence becomes a cause for worry or irritation for you and family members, it's time.

The signs of incontinence is usually the first step of failure, correct?

Could be # of things.

But found with grandmother's 17 yr dog, she was failing...incontinence continued to be more frequent, and pain started.

I think vet could give you honest answers..

Prayers.

Side note: grandmother would not allow us to euthinize her beloved pet...with all the pleading, she just became too upset to bring it up.

Uncle took the sweet girl in after grandmother died, and was beside himself with the chastising the vet gave him for not doing it years sooner.:(

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

The signs of incontinence is usually the first step of failure, correct?

Could be # of things.

But found with grandmother's 17 yr dog, she was failing...incontinence continued to be more frequent, and pain started.

I think vet could give you honest answers..

Prayers.

Side note: grandmother would not allow us to euthinize her beloved pet...with all the pleading, she just became too upset to bring it up.

Uncle took the sweet girl in after grandmother died, and was beside himself with the chastising the vet gave him for not doing it years sooner.:(

Doc said kidneys were failing, and her bladder was hard, said she never felt anything like that before. Gave her a couple days. That was two weeks ago. She still eats and drinks. But we use the diapers 

This is Salty.

I said goodbye this side of the Bifrost one month ago tomorrow.

The vet told us she'd let us know when it was time, and she did.

She developed a divergent gaze, intermittent blindness, loss of control of the hind legs, and finally she started throwing grand mal seizures.

When I signed the form, the words "DEATH WARRANT!" screamed between my ears.

My voice was the last she heard, my hands were on her as she took her last breath, and I cried like a lost child.

Salty and her littermate Sailor had parvo when we got them as rescues -- didn't know it -- the vet pulled them through and for eleven years they delighted in referring to them as their Miracle Dogs.

When is it the right time?

The vet's advice was that she'll let us know, and she did.

Behind here (knocks bent foreknuckle on forehead) I know it was the right thing to do, and the right time to do it.

Behind here? (knocks fingertips on breastbone)

I feel like I murdered my best friend.

The picture is from a better time, before the cancer metastasized to the brain.

Salty Contentment.jpg

Hard, even heart-breaking decision to have to make.

I/we have had to put down a number of pets, including budgies.

Never had the heart to do it myself; always had the vet do it as we cuddled them.

JB,

As others have stated... its a hard thing to do.   And, like the rest of us, you're gonna feel bad and sad.

We had to make the same decision with our 'Benji' about 2 years back.   That little dog was only

5 years old and loved to play games with me.    I held him during his final moments with us.

Then he sat down beside me (I was sitting on the floor with him),  then lay down on the floor and

went to sleep.   I won't get into his problem, but he suffered his share of pain during his 5 years

with us.   

It don't get easy to do it...... it just gets time.   And you'll know.

God bless, my friend.

..........Widder

Molly was my Lab for 14 years. She was a great hunter, faithful friend and companion. Finally got to be hard for her to get around and she started losing weight. Our vet said she had a long, wonderful life. Put her down with me sitting on the floor with her. Had her cremated and spread her ashes in our 2 acre pond where she swam and chased the fish all her life. 

Tough to do, but you will know when.

mOLLY.jpg

Molly fishing on the pond (2).jpg

mOLLY & GEESE ii.jpg

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Thank you J-Bar! This has coincided with my thoughts on the topic.

34 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

2021_08_02_04_06_11.thumb.jpg.628493acf70291e003af1c10377fd4d3.jpg

I remember that whole story.

JB, you have my prayers for the strength to do what's right for the both of you.

My best friend of 14 years had a stroke one day when I was at work. I was crushed when I got home and saw her that way. I bundled her up and took her to the vet, but knew deep down that it was time. She wasn't supposed to leave me like that and not that soon. It's been a year and a half, I still miss her just as much. Hell, I would even swear that I see her staring at me from her chair.

I can't tell you when the time is, but you'll know. I can't tell you you'll get over it, but you'll go on with the heart your friend left you to share with another.

Coincidentally my Sissy (pit bull), that I have had for 14 years passed away last night. I had been battling with taking her in for about a month,however nature took its course last night. It’s a hard decision and no body knows your pet like you. 

It was hardest on my wife and son. This all came after we celebrated my 36th birthday last night. 

Prayers and thoughts are with you. Pets aren’t humans but they do hold a special place in owners hearts and minds.

Like others have said, your friend will let you know when it is time. I’ve had to put down three dogs. It was never easy, but always the right thing to do.

My only thought to add would be for you to be there with your friend as the vet does what needs to be done. Cuddle them. Love them. Whisper to them. Be with them as they go forward. Let your loving words be the last thing they hear this side of Heaven.

4 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Doc said kidneys were failing, and her bladder was hard, said she never felt anything like that before. Gave her a couple days. That was two weeks ago. She still eats and drinks. But we use the diapers 

As long as you are willing to put in the 'love' of helping her through this time, and she isn't in pain...then I say enjoy loving her for what time she has.

Prepare that little guy for what's coming...:wub:

3 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

This is Salty.

I said goodbye this side of the Bifrost one month ago tomorrow.

The vet told us she'd let us know when it was time, and she did.

She developed a divergent gaze, intermittent blindness, loss of control of the hind legs, and finally she started throwing grand mal seizures.

When I signed the form, the words "DEATH WARRANT!" screamed between my ears.

My voice was the last she heard, my hands were on her as she took her last breath, and I cried like a lost child.

Salty and her littermate Sailor had parvo when we got them as rescues -- didn't know it -- the vet pulled them through and for eleven years they delighted in referring to them as their Miracle Dogs.

When is it the right time?

The vet's advice was that she'll let us know, and she did.

Behind here (knocks bent foreknuckle on forehead) I know it was the right thing to do, and the right time to do it.

Behind here? (knocks fingertips on breastbone)

I feel like I murdered my best friend.

The picture is from a better time, before the cancer metastasized to the brain.

Salty Contentment.jpg

Hugs.

Yes, it is quick, and we can talk and touch and love them through that last bit...

But Shanley never knew it would be that hard on him.:(

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hugs.

Yes, it is quick, and we can talk and touch and love them through that last bit...

But Shanley never knew it would be that hard on him.:(

When I put Flynn down, he took it like a man.
I didn't.

Lost 2 of our 'dog  family in the last 12 months..miss them heaps..our going on 13 yo Gullee boy  I just want around for ever but of course I know that ain't gunna' happen so we just love & spoil him as much as we can.

I love the Princess Parrot & we had 2 , Harry & Meegan..I say 2 because I came home last Sunday & Harry was dead in the corner of his aviary..no marks, no nothing ..heart attack or what I don't know. He was a beautiful boy & copied every other bird 's call in the area,,not quite 3 yo.

Today my wifes daughter is at the Vet for an ultrasound on her 4yo Pitbull for which looks like a tumour on the Kidney, Vet says it doesn't look good & may be inoperable..this dog [Cali] has been her saviour as the last few years have been really tough..they spent the night together cuddled up in bed, hopefully there will be a positive report from the Vets, it will be hard if Cali has to be put down,we are praying that is not the case....

P.S. Added a pic of my mate Gullee' taken one week ago...

20210713_104354.jpg

3 hours ago, bgavin said:

When I put Flynn down, he took it like a man.
I didn't.

Yup. The vet wrapped Ginger in a pretty sarapi...asked if we wanted her to carry Gingie to the car, but Shanley insisted he could.

He got to the doorway and just bawled...

She was a dear furbie.

2 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

These are my two kitties the first day we brought little John home.0C7CDC2A-6B56-4F8A-9316-DB76657863BF.thumb.jpeg.9308c9de104aab2e6450d45adce81ad9.jpeg

Awwwwww.....great memory to hold onto!

4 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Lost 2 of our 'dog  family in the last 12 months..miss them heaps..our going on 13 yo Gullee boy  I just want around for ever but of course I know that ain't gunna' happen so we just love & spoil him as much as we can.

I love the Princess Parrot & we had 2 , Harry & Meegan..I say 2 because I came home last Sunday & Harry was dead in the corner of his aviary..no marks, no nothing ..heart attack or what I don't know. He was a beautiful boy & copied every other bird 's call in the area,,not quite 3 yo.

Today my wifes daughter is at the Vet for an ultrasound on her 4yo Pitbull for which looks like a tumour on the Kidney, Vet says it doesn't look good & may be inoperable..this dog [Cali] has been her saviour as the last few years have been really tough..they spent the night together cuddled up in bed, hopefully there will be a positive report from the Vets, it will be hard if Cali has to be put down,we are praying that is not the case....

Prayers!

I posted earlier re my wife's daughters dog Cali that is unwell. Unfortunately Cali is riddled with cancer & the Vet has said she will most likely not last the night, Jenny is devestated & will hold her in her arms untill that time comes..Cali has had multiple pain reducers given ..things happen so quickly, only 2 weeks ago we visited & Cali was her normal playful self....

When I put down my cats, (one a year after the other) the vet said "Quality of life is the issue, are you keeping the animal alive for YOU or for them? The male cat could hardly make it up the stairs, I moved the litter box to the bathroom and he could barely make it there. He wasn't eating and was becoming skin and bones.

The female had feline leukemia and her kidneys were shutting down. I actually did dialysis on her for about 2 weeks and that stopped working so off I went to the vet.

I've put down a couple dogs years ago and somehow you just know when it's their time. Anyway you look at it it's not a pretty thing to do.:(

Two years ago my wife and I had to put down her cat Jack who was 12. He ended up having IBD which advanced very quickly. We were living in an area that really sucked for vet options and they mis-diagnosed him. She ended up taking him to her old vet in Connecticut after about a week where he spent 2 weeks by himself getting tests done. By the time they were able to get an accurate diagnosis it had come time to put him down. 

I've had to put down several pets and it's never easy. This was especially hard because he had to spend the last two weeks of his life in a cage without his people (he was VERY lovey and needed to be on or near us almost all the time). I'll never put a pet through that again. 

12 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yup. The vet wrapped Ginger in a pretty sarapi...asked if we wanted her to carry Gingie to the car, but Shanley insisted he could.

He got to the doorway and just bawled...

She was a dear furbie.

Bawled.

Yep.

"It rained last night, and so did I."

In my young life I have been shot, stabbed, cut, run into, run over, I've faced up to and faced down a variety of large and angry people bearing a variety of weapons.

I have had to make that last, tenth-of-a-second decision, do I put one more tenth of an ounce on this trigger, yes or no.

I had to perform my best friend's funeral, no warning, no prep, just stand and deliver ... and one calendar month later, under the same circumstances, I performed my own mother's funeral.

If the Arabs are right, and that which does not kill us makes us stronger, I should be able to bench press a Buick.

I should be a case hardened son of a Perry County oilman, hard shelled and thickly armored.

Nothing should trouble me.

Yeah.

Right.

Bawled.

That's the word for it.

When I whispered my final goodbye and went back out to my very, very empty Jeep, I leaned against the side and sorrowed, openly, genuinely and without any thought at all for who might be watching, and it took me a while before I could see well enough to get in and drive home.

5 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I posted earlier re my wife's daughters dog Cali that is unwell. Unfortunately Cali is riddled with cancer & the Vet has said she will most likely not last the night, Jenny is devestated & will hold her in her arms untill that time comes..Cali has had multiple pain reducers given ..things happen so quickly, only 2 weeks ago we visited & Cali was her normal playful self....

Prayers for your daughter

Archived