SASS Wire Forum

Deer caught boxing

Sedalia Dave

At my treatment plant (read wildlife refuge) we have maybe a half dozen bucks in velvet.
Two of them, yesterday, were head to head, but looking curiously at one another.

They very delicately put their antlers together, then flinched back, looked at one another in apparent surprise, as if to ask "What just happened?"

Last year, after they'd slashed off their velvet and the horns were dried and hard, two young bucks -- maybe four pointers if I recall, Eastern count -- set their antlers against each other, then pushed back and forth, tentatively, uncertainly, like a couple young  schoolboys on the playground who were really uncertain how to try and establish dominance.

(I've been taking the Nikon to work but the only photo I've gotten that's worth anything is a flying crane, powering upriver, wings are uplifted enough the underside is sunlit ... every time I take it on my hourly firewatch walk, nothing happens, but when I leave it in the Jeep, I see all kind of deer, up close and perfectly posed!)

Archived