SASS Wire Forum

Well, I feel foolish!

Singin' Sue 71615

As usual, we are at dark thirty getting ready for BRR tomorrow...and Oiy!!!

After EOT, we wiped and oiled down the guns...even my 2 sets of pistols that were giving me fits.

We got home 4 days later, and I quick cleaned and oiled, and put them away. They looked good to me.

But...I guess that Indianna and Georgia humidity is a trickster.

It has been over a month...and boy, is there RUST!!!

Most all is surface, but a few dots here and there are gonna need attention when we get home tomorrow.

To top it off, we are getting rain tonight...much needed...but man, after all the effort these last few hours, I hope we don't get rained out!!!

I really need to go make some steel sing!!!

Oooh…bummer. I also learned the hard way about humidity, dampness and blued steel a long while ago. With one gun I did the WD-40 and steel wool (use Chore Boy copper pads - Walmart has em) thing and removed the rust…also removed bluing. The gun had a nice patina. :blink: I would have preferred not to have had to go that. 

The other gun I had Cerakoted. It wasn’t a SASS gun. Of course purists lose their minds when they hear I Cerakoted a Winchester 94.
My gun. I will do as I please. 

A couple of things I learned. 
Don’t use polyester fleece lined gun rugs. They hold moisture and release moisture onto the gun during temperature changes. 

Silicone gun sleeves help. I got mine at Cabela’s for my pistols. You can also get them for rifles. 
Just do a search for “silicone impregnated gun sleeves”

These folks make some good ones:

http://borestores.com/

I put my guns in the siliconed rug and then into my case or regular gun rug. 

In Oregon I also bought desiccant pouches for my gun rugs but found they the desiccant pack and the gun needed to go into a plastic bag for the desiccant to actually work and putting a warm gun in a cool bag with desiccant just didn’t seem like a good idea. I didn’t trust it would work well enough. 

Sorry to hear about your guns. Hard lessons come…well, hard! 

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Were there two misses in that run? I'm just going on sound. I heard ten DINGs on the rifle, but I think I only heard eight on the pistols.

11 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

As usual, we are at dark thirty getting ready for BRR tomorrow...and Oiy!!!

After EOT, we wiped and oiled down the guns...even my 2 sets of pistols that were giving me fits.

We got home 4 days later, and I quick cleaned and oiled, and put them away. They looked good to me.

But...I guess that Indianna and Georgia humidity is a trickster.

It has been over a month...and boy, is there RUST!!!

Most all is surface, but a few dots here and there are gonna need attention when we get home tomorrow.

To top it off, we are getting rain tonight...much needed...but man, after all the effort these last few hours, I hope we don't get rained out!!!

I really need to go make some steel sing!!!

Nice shoot’n Sue. Sorry about the rust.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Were there two misses in that run? I'm just going on sound. I heard ten DINGs on the rifle, but I think I only heard eight on the pistols.

You are not supposed to spot via sound you are supposed to see the misses other wise hits for the shooter. :P :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

You are not supposed to spot via sound you are supposed to see the misses other wise hits for the shooter. :P :ph34r:

Especially since some targets are dead! The report of the gun is louder than a dead target. We had that problem last weekend!

6 hours ago, Domino Fats 109182 said:

Nice shoot’n Sue. Sorry about the rust.

I have to show the rough stages too! I was soooooo tired by this stage!!:rolleyes:

Today was...well interesting!!! 

At least we didn't get rained out!!!

To remove the rust without hurting the bluing, use bronze wool and a decent oil like 3 in 1 or Remoil. Rub lightly!

Archived