SASS Wire Forum

The "Why" of Math

Sedalia Dave

A kid with a math degree has 10 times the job opportunities of any other degree.

Math is much more than memorizing equations; it is the pathway to solving global problems. To illuminate the incredible scope and opportunity math offers, the question asked by every student, every pioneer, every revolutionary mind must become a central cog in how we teach and explore math. That question is "Why?" "Why do I have to learn this?" "Why does this matter in my real life?" Dr. Po-Shen Loh will share with the audience how, right here in Pittsburgh, with the help of brilliant young minds and advancements in technology, education is being transformed. By striving to answer the "Why?" question, STEM education can grow towards more creative, inclusive, and accessible ways to learn, focused on the individual's personal achievement and growth. Dr. Po-Shen Loh is a math enthusiast and evangelist. He is a math professor at Carnegie Mellon University, the national coach of the USA International Mathematical Olympiad team, and the founder of the social enterprise expii.com, an education technology startup providing a free personalized learning platform, which combines algorithms and crowdsourcing to deliver a free artificial intelligence-powered tutor for the world of math and science. As an educator, he led Carnegie Mellon University’s math team to its first-ever #1 rank among all North American universities, and led the USA Math Olympiad team to its first-ever back-to-back #1-rank victories in 2015 and 2016. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at https://www.ted.com/tedx

William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, 1824-1907;  famous quotation:

• If you can not measure it, you can not improve it. ... 
  • I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

It has been many years since HS geometry.. but I did finally find a use for the line equation:  Y=mX+B

I use it to calculate the slope of FPS and PSI for published loads that include both with their Starting and Maximum loads.
These are Lyman and Hodgdon published loads.

This lets me interpolate a charge to find a given FPS or PSI within the linear operating range of published loads.

The point of this is calculating the charge for a given lead hardness (BHN) of my bullets.

Image.Article.Iowegan.The Mystery of Smokeless Gunpowder.Pressure.Linear.Image.jpg

I found geometry quite handy when playing pool. :D

Archived