SASS Wire Forum

Bacon may disappear in California

Sedalia Dave

:( :( :( :(

Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It's worse than just bacon.  This will apply to all pork meats.  My smoker won't be able to run as much.  This makes me sad.  But it's just so in keeping with the idiocracy here.

Bacon.  Chops.  Roasts.  Sausage.  Hot dogs.  Even pepperoni ~ there goes the pizza industry! 

And LOTS more, I'm sure.  

I think I will stop looking at threads regarding California. They are just blood pressure enhancement and I am to the point that I really don’t flippin’ care any more. My Independence Day is but 339 days away. 

I wonder how Iowa, et al, will deal with the loss of that much business?
All those hogs that would otherwise go to CA will have to be absorbed by the other states... or slaughtered at a loss.

CA continues to paint itself into a corner... the fools that vote for this crap have literally no idea about the implications of their vote.

This is a perfect example of the failure of pure democracy voting. A majority here voting on a subject they did not understand.

11 minutes ago, bgavin said:

All those hogs that would otherwise go to CA will have to be absorbed by the other states... or slaughtered at a loss.

CA continues to paint itself into a corner... the fools that vote for this crap have literally no idea about the implications of their vote.

It will cause the price paid to the farmer to fall even lower and put a lot of people out of work.

The consumer will never see the price drop one cent as the middle man will pocket all the profits.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

We're all doomed to becoming vegabelarians.  :(

"WE" my tired old butt.  Send it over the border and we'll take all we can get.

Just more proof that California has slipped so far out of control we'll NEVER get it back.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think I will stop looking at threads regarding California. They are just blood pressure enhancement and I am to the point that I really don’t flippin’ care any more. My Independence Day is but 339 days away. 

I only lived there for a couple years in the late 80’s/early 90’s , and it felt so great the last time I drove out of that state 

I'm a little suspicious.  Combined Hispanic and Asian population is about 54% of the state's population; pork is a significant part of both culture's diet.

I suspect many voters did not understand the wording of Proposition 12... it's typical of the Attorney General's office to craft ballot measures so they are very, very unclear.  There have been a number of propositions that were worded so that "No" literally meant "Yes."  One infamous example was Proposition 47, which made many felonies misdemeanors, made property thefts of $950 or less basically a ticket-able offense, and released thousands of criminals from prison.

This appeared on the ballot titled "The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act." 

No kiddin'.  :( 

I wonder how California thinks it can regulate what happens in other states?  If California tries to prohibit the movement of pork products across its borders that would seem to violate the Commerce Clause.  

48 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I wonder how California thinks it can regulate what happens in other states?  If California tries to prohibit the movement of pork products across its borders that would seem to violate the Commerce Clause.  

Read all about it...

SCOTUS Declines to Hear Prop 12 Case

"A new white paper released by the Food Equity Alliance last week said an expected 50% reduction in pork exported to California will create supply shortages and raise pork prices for consumers..."

"According to the National Pork Producers Council, less than 1% of pork produced in the United States meets Proposition 12 requirements..."

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"A new white paper released by the Food Equity Alliance last week said an expected 50% reduction in pork exported to California will create supply shortages and raise pork prices for consumers..."

Which would create a surplus elsewhere with reduced prices for a majority of Americans.

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

CA can not force pork producers to comply with the new law, but any pork producer that does not comply with the law will be banned from selling their products in CA.  It is just as legal as CA (and MA) requiring firearms to meet certain standards to be sold in their state.

My guess is that the corporate pork producers will comply rather then lose the CA market, but the smaller independents won't comply and sell their products elsewhere.

image.thumb.jpeg.9bcd62c7cd6a746288ddd61e0f37b565.jpeg

Irony would be if Chick-Fil-A started doing a booming business with a similar ad that includes pigs.
Leftist ****bags hate Christian run businesses like Chick-Fil-A and In & Out Burger. 

Another thing, politicians hate it when their kind are harmed. Of course, pigs are so much better and so much more intelligent than most politicians. 

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What would be the penalty for selling bacon on the black market?

or using counterfeit documents that the pig died happy?

Isn’t that what’s happening in the marijuana industry in Ca and many other states ? They will have to hire the pork stasi to handle the new problems they have created 

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"WE" my tired old butt.  Send it over the border and we'll take all we can get.

Just more proof that California has slipped so far out of control we'll NEVER get it back.

FR,

Ask yourself this "Do we really want it back?" Or, is it damaged beyond repair. Pretty sure Mexico doesn't want it back........

13 hours ago, bgavin said:

Pork prices will drop elsewhere in the country to absorb the temporary glut on the market.  Speaking as somebody living almost 3000 miles away, I wouldn't mind the price of pork going down for a while.

I feel sorry for the Californians stuck living under the windowlickers running their state, but their loss is my gain.

""Hog farmers said they haven’t complied because of the cost and because California hasn’t yet issued formal regulations on how the new standards will be administered and enforced."

Which is typical of the CA burro-cracy.   Wait until a week before implementation and then release the details. Of course, "

The California Department of Food and Agriculture said that although the detailed regulations aren’t finished, the key rules about space have been known for years.

“It is important to note that the law itself cannot be changed by regulations and the law has been in place since the Farm Animal Confinement Proposition (Prop 12) passed by a wide margin in 2018,” the agency said in response to questions from the AP."  Trying to place any blame for noncompliance on the people who don't have the details of what they need to do to comply.   

Not unlike the requirements of gun locks that hit us in '05.  Nobody knew the details,  even though gun makers,  distributors,  and retailers had been begging the CADOJ for a year to let them know the requirements.   A week before the law went into effect the rules came out and guess what?  Only ONE lock met State of California requirements.   Made by a company that had family ties to one of the authors of the legislation. 

Archived