SASS Wire Forum

Gun “buy backs” in Texas??

Took a little break to visit the in-laws in the great state of Texas for a few days. When I flipped on the tube, I see a news report of people lining up to give their guns away for a $100 gift card. Unbelievable!! Maybe I’m just an ignorant kid from Oklahoma but this is the first I’ve seen this type of thing in my neck of the woods? 

What are you seeing where you are at?

1 minute ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Specifics would be of some use, beyond "flipped on the tube".....

A local news channel outside of the FT. Worth area. I think it was a CBS network channel. Not 100% on that though, to busy processing what I was seeing. I know other states have seen this, just new to me.

4 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Gun buy backs are where you sell your old broken none fixable guns that are not worth making a door stop out of.

Or for turning about $10 of assembled plumbing parts and a chunk of 2X4 into a working shotgun worth $100.

15 minutes ago, Domino Fats 109182 said:

Took a little break to visit the in-laws in the great state of Texas for a few days. When I flipped on the tube, I see a news report of people lining up to give their guns away for a $100 gift card. Unbelievable!! Maybe I’m just an ignorant kid from Oklahoma but this is the first I’ve seen this type of thing in my neck of the woods? 

What are you seeing where you are at?

Most guns taken to confiscation event are junk not worth 2 bits. They get a $100 gift card so politicians get a feel good. Even to point people tape piece pipe to piece wood call it gun get their gift card

8 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Gun buy backs are where you sell your old broken none fixable guns that are not worth making a door stop out of.

Yup, basically cash for clunkers program.

I do know several folks who have gone to those programs with signs for people to check in with them and bought some good guns for $50 more than the Buyback amounts!

Not in my neck of the woods. There would be a line..........lined up to make an offer on what they're turning in (if any). If you saw it on the news there's a 99.8% probability of bravo sierra.

JHC ;)

2 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Not in my neck of the woods. There would be a line..........lined up to make an offer on what they're turning in (if any). If you saw it on the news there's a 99.8% probability of bravo sierra.

JHC ;)

Hello Cap,

Yes sir. That is what I’m going with. 

I've got an old evil Western Auto bolt action .22 caliber rifle I have been saving for a buy back.  I'd hate for the thing to fall into some innocent person's hands and corrupt them.   If if makes them feel good to give me $100 bucks for a piece of junk, well then, we'll both feel good about it.

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Over 250 Guns Surrendered To DeSoto Texas Police During Saturday Event :(

Wonder how many more were purchased by private citizens walking up and down the line???

Wow did not see that at all. I do have some junk I could have traded for $100 each. ;)

I have two guns that are worth maybe $100 combined. I still wouldn't sell them at a so-called "gun buyback" because A: my guns were never theirs to "buy back" in the first place, and B: I don't want to contribute anything to the anti-gunners that would in any way shape or form be considered so much as a symbolic victory. If I ever feel a need to dispose of them I'll take a sledgehammer to them myself and throw them in the trash.

I could see it in Austin.  Maybe even Houston, but definitely Austin ~ "the San Francisco of Texas."  :mellow:

I have a sister near New Bruanfels, about fifty miles from Austin.  She won't even shop there.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I have two guns that are worth maybe $100 combined. I still wouldn't sell them at a so-called "gun buyback" because A: my guns were never theirs to "buy back" in the first place, and B: I don't want to contribute anything to the anti-gunners that would in any way shape or form be considered so much as a symbolic victory. If I ever feel a need to dispose of them I'll take a sledgehammer to them myself and throw them in the trash.

Your position is understandable, not selling your principles for $100.  There are a couple with cracked frames taking space in the safe that are not worth $50 in parts.  I'd sell them for $100 gift cards to hopefully remove 2 giftcards from circulation that could be harmful to old Marlin 60s and the like.  Every buyback I've read about has met their giftcard limit, might as well save what we can while freeing up room for more in the safe.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/12/ct-woman-turns-antique-rifle-gun-buyback/

28 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Your position is understandable, not selling your principles for $100.  There are a couple with cracked frames taking space in the safe that are not worth $50 in parts.  I'd sell them for $100 gift cards to hopefully remove 2 giftcards from circulation that could be harmful to old Marlin 60s and the like.  Every buyback I've read about has met their giftcard limit, might as well save what we can while freeing up room for more in the safe.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/12/ct-woman-turns-antique-rifle-gun-buyback/

Wow...!  That's an amazing story!!  Good on the Hartford PD~!!     :FlagAm:

Long story short:

There was a police sponsored federally illegal transfer of small arms in Huntington Beach, CA back in the 90’s. 
My friend and I went and were offering to legally buy people’s guns for more than the $100 being offered. 

The police came over and told us “You aren’t allowed to do that here, move along.”

I told them we were offering fair money and we were insisting that the people meet us at a local gun shop for a completely legal transaction. 
A police Lieutenant came over and said he was going to have us arrested. Haha! 
I loudly asked him who on their team was a licensed FFL?

”No one, we’re the police”

Then I loudly stated to him and his minions that “You are violating Federal Laws by doing this and you are making people complicit in your crimes.”

They again threatened us, but the cool thing was that people in line started asking questions and within short order quite a few people left. 
My Buddy and I also left, but not until someone from the police dept. showed up and told Lt. Knowitall that we were correct. The buy back was a bust. 

I haven’t seen a “buy back” here since moving back here. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Long story short:

There was a police sponsored federally illegal transfer of small arms in Huntington Beach, CA back in the 90’s. 
My friend and I went and were offering to legally buy people’s guns for more than the $100 being offered. 

The police came over and told us “You aren’t allowed to do that here, move along.”

I told them we were offering fair money and we were insisting that the people meet us at a local gun shop for a completely legal transaction. 
A police Lieutenant came over and said he was going to have us arrested. Haha! 
I loudly asked him who on their team was a licensed FFL?

”No one, we’re the police”

Then I loudly stated to him and his minions that “You are violating Federal Laws by doing this and you are making people complicit in your crimes.”

They again threatened us, but the cool thing was that people in line started asking questions and within short order quite a few people left. 
My Buddy and I also left, but not until someone from the police dept. showed up and told Lt. Knowitall that we were correct. The buy back was a bust. 

I haven’t seen a “buy back” here since moving back here. 

I just was wondering "Who is filling out the 4473"?

I was told the same thing at one of the buybacks. Went there with a pocket of cash but everything that people had (until I got chased off) wasn't worth what the cops were paying for it...$100.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Were they violating federal laws or california laws?  I'm pretty sure in free states two people can meet anywhere and sell a gun FTF.  No FFL and no paperwork required. 

If I ever saw one happening, I'd be one of the vultures creeping on the line.  I might even come up with some failed 3d prints to sell them.  Provided the government can pass my background check, that is. 

15 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Wow did not see that at all. I do have some junk I could have traded for $100 each. ;)

According to that article they'll be back again next week with more gift cards. 

I'd be pissed if that was my tax money. 

29 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

According to that article they'll be back again next week with more gift cards. 

I'd be pissed if that was my tax money. 

Well apparently it was for Desoto residents only and somehow the Dallas County DA was also involved.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Were they violating federal laws or california laws?  I'm pretty sure in free states two people can meet anywhere and sell a gun FTF.  No FFL and no paperwork required. 

If I ever saw one happening, I'd be one of the vultures creeping on the line.  I might even come up with some failed 3d prints to sell them.  Provided the government can pass my background check, that is. 

Both. 

Archived