SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy 45 Special loads

Chief Rick

Looking for data, specifically for 180 gr and/or 130 gr Barnstormers but I'll compile anything else, too.

Thanks in advance.

I'm loading 3.6 gr Clays behind a 200 gr. for my Varqueros. Sorry - don't load 180s.

I load a 175 grain cast slug for revolvers, with 4.2 grains Winchester Super Target.  Makes about 650 FPS.  Clean.    180 grain bullet would be same powder charge, almost same velocity.

good luck, GJ

3.4 grains of Clays behind 160 gr bullets.

2/3s of a case with APP and 160 gr bullets.  (same depth as either 3 or 2F)... 

WIth 160 grain I am running 6.1 of W231/HP38. I started lighter but like the feel better with this powder weight in a 5 1/2" barrel. I have compiled 6  loads with other powders; Bullseye, Tightgroup, Red Dot, Clays, Zip,  and Unique.

I liked 4.3Gr TightGroup with 130Gr Barnstormer Bullets.  However . . . . 

I don't shoot smokeless anymore and load APP to the base of the Barnstormer bullet.  Sweet!!

15 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

CR pm me your email and I will send you a file I have with CS data.

kR

PM sent.  Thank you.

16 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

WIth 160 grain I am running 6.1 of W231/HP38. I started lighter but like the feel better with this powder weight in a 5 1/2" barrel. I have compiled 6  loads with other powders; Bullseye, Tightgroup, Red Dot, Clays, Zip,  and Unique.

I had a request to share the data I had compiled other than the W231 load above. I corrected the Coach Guns reference.

45CS load data shared.JPG

51 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I are currently shooting BARNSTORMER bullets from Shootin Fox.  Super fine alla time you betcha!!

I have a box that I'll be going to once I finish up the 180's.

I'll also be ordering more!

Chief,

I shoot 3.5 grns of TB under a 180 grn bullet. Both pistol and rifle. Hit me up in two weeks at the Bounty Hunters and I’ll share.

La Sombra

On 7/31/2021 at 4:08 PM, Chief Rick said:

Looking for data, specifically for 180 gr and/or 130 gr Barnstormers but I'll compile anything else, too.

Thanks in advance.

My wife has tried (and likes) 4 grains Trail Boss behind the 130 grain Barnstormer, Federal 150 LPP. Negligible recoil, (more of a push than a snap), not terribly loud. A bit dirtier than I care for but anything to get her shooting. She has bad wrists and these work for her without increasing her pain level. Haven't chrono'd them yet, but was told that this load runs about 550 FPS so just makes power factor.(550x130)/1000=71.5

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived