SASS Wire Forum

Tightgroup help needed

So I scored some tightgroup today, I have a great load in 38 special using clays and a good load using clays for 45colt rifle. I don't want to use my supply of powder shooting monthly's . Does anyone have a good load that works? I currently use 3.2 clays in 38 loads and 5.2 of clays in my rifle load, I did find 1/2 a pound of Unique (what I used when I 1st started SASS) I have been using in my smokeless cowboy and wild bunch rifle but that is almost gone. Any help appreciated!
Rafe

I found that something in the,3.0 to 3.5 gr worked for me with a 125 gr bullet for both rifle and handgun

I use 4.2 and a 158 gr as my long range rifle load

.45 Colt - a moderate rifle load I used to run was 200 grain bullet,  5.0 grains TiteGroup

good luck, GJ

3.5 grains of Tite-Group for a 125 grain bullet works great for pistols and rifle.

Truth be known... around 3 gn +/- of ANY fast powder will work in a 38 load with any bullet you want to use. Some will burn cleaner than others, but they will all work. 

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Do you ever get any primers backing out? What Revolvers do you shoot?

This data came from a very well respected shooter that's a friend of mine. He just gave me this data as I had a new shooter buy some Titegroup from me and needed load info.

He shoots Vaqueros...can't remember if they are 4 5/8" or 5.5". 

And he doesn't neglect having a quality crimp on his rounds.

Phantom

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

38's ... 2.7gr Titegroup 125gr TC

Gamer!!:lol:

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This data came from a very well respected shooter that's a friend of mine. He just gave me this data as I had a new shooter buy some Titegroup from me and needed load info.

He shoots Vaqueros...can't remember if they are 4 5/8" or 5.5". 

And he doesn't neglect having a quality crimp on his rounds.

Phantom

I’ve been shooting 3.5gr over 125 TC for a long time but with power supply hit and miss I have been thinking about cutting my load down some. A friend had trouble with 3.2gr in his USFA’s unsure how heavy his crimp was. 

I have used 2.8 grains with a 125 TC for the last 4 years. Seated into the crimp groove, don’t know OAL off the top of my head. Recently upped it to 3.2 grains to be a bit more reliable on some KD I occasionally see. Same powder load with a 147 TC has been my rifle round for 10 years. Seated to 1.5 inches OAL. Firm crimp with both. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

This thread has some good info for me.  I've been using Trailboss for awhile, but my supply will run low, if this reloading component shortage continues much longer.  I have a good supply of Titegroup that has been sitting neglected in my reloading room.

Thanks gents!

24 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

This thread has some good info for me.  I've been using Trailboss for awhile, but my supply will run low, if this reloading component shortage continues much longer.  I have a good supply of Titegroup that has been sitting neglected in my reloading room.

Thanks gents!

You need MORE Trailboss than regular smokeless like Tite-Group,  am I right? With Tite-Group you get more bang for your buck!! (Pun intended)

Rye, yes, Trail Boss needs more to meet the power factor AND not be too dirty.

FYI, with my old powder measures (I tried two) I must load over 3.5 grains of TG to get consistency.  Otherwise, it is very inconsistent and almost squibs. 
This is NOT the powder, gut my set up, so make sure you have consistent loads with your measure. 
When consistent even at "lower" weights such as 2.7 to 3 grains, TG is very consistent and accurate, but does have a louder bark and a bit snappier recoil than powders such as Clays, Trail Boss, etc.

So I use TG for higher pressure loads such as hotter 38's, 9mm, 40 S?&W, etc. 

3 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

FYI, with my old powder measures (I tried two) I must load over 3.5 grains of TG to get consistency.  Otherwise, it is very inconsistent and almost squibs. 
This is NOT the powder, gut my set up, so make sure you have consistent loads with your measure. 
When consistent even at "lower" weights such as 2.7 to 3 grains, TG is very consistent and accurate, but does have a louder bark and a bit snappier recoil than powders such as Clays, Trail Boss, etc.

You’re right and I like the snappier and louder bark! My 550 meters TG just fine!;)

9 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Now I'm really going out on a limb, anyone have load data for using tightgroup in 45 schofield? Seems like tightgroup loads are close to my clays loads but want to be sure before loading up.

Rafe

160grn 45 with 4.2gr TG in Schofield

For .38 Special: 3.0 grains of Titegroup for 105 grain bullets in my Vaqueros.

For .38 Special: 3.5 grains of Titegroup for 125 grain bullets in my 1873.

And just FYI, I was practicing the other day and the range had hung some steel targets at 100 yards. I was able to ring steel with my 1873 - point of aim (big brass bead which covered the steel silhoutte) was point of impact (somewhere on the big steel silhoutte)! I was just surprised that it got down there with no big hold. Not shooting precision, but was still fun to hear it ring every shot.

38 special 3.0 grains can shoot that load year round works in cold & damp or Hot and Humid. same load for pistol or rifle with enough energy for knock downs most of the time but I only use 125 grain bullets of course I also keep a few 158's on hand just in case :-) 

+ 1 to Phantom's 2.7 gr. 2.7Gr TG, 105Gr coated in pistol yields 617fps & 65 Power Factor.

2.7 gr TG with 125Gr Coated bullet yields a PF of 70 in the pistols.

2.5 & 2.6 Grns TG will be legal, but right on the bleeding edge, so 2.7 is the way to go. They'll do KD's also, but I load 3.6GR TG with 158's for hot loads. Then, it the bullet passes anywhere near the KD, the wind will knock 'em down.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Exactly.

I found that to meet performance levels I desired with TB, I had to increase the charge to a point of unsatisfactory recoil as duelist.  The bark of TG was annoying to me also.  I am still a Clays fan when not shooting Trip Seven-2F

On 7/31/2021 at 7:32 PM, Snakebite said:

Truth be known... around 3 gn +/- of ANY fast powder will work in a 38 load with any bullet you want to use. Some will burn cleaner than others, but they will all work. 

+1 on Snakebite, thats exactly what I have found

2 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Exactly.

I found that to meet performance levels I desired with TB, I had to increase the charge to a point of unsatisfactory recoil as duelist.  The bark of TG was annoying to me also.  I am still a Clays fan when not shooting Trip Seven-2F

I don't know your performance level or caliber Billy, butin a 38 spec  3.1 or 3.2 of TB with a mag primer and a 105 gr. bullet does a fairly consistent 750 fps.  +, -  35fps.

Clays or Clay Dot does pretty much the same at the same weight. 

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

I don't know your performance level or caliber Billy, butin a 38 spec  3.1 or 3.2 of TB with a mag primer and a 105 gr. bullet does a fairly consistent 750 fps.  +, -  35fps.

Clays or Clay Dot does pretty much the same at the same weight. 

Been several years ago and at the time, don't think I tried 105s.  I just did not get satisfactory accuracy until on up close to 4 with TB.  Understand that is of course out of 4.25" FAs and coming from 22 years in a game requiring really good accuracy to be in winner's circle, my idea of acceptable be a bit much for cowboy.  Good accuracy and 750 sounds pretty good.

Hope you and "the boss" are doing well.  Planning on seeing you both in March.

Archived