SASS Wire Forum

Wild bunch wire

I know that we have talked, on this form before, about how ridiculous some of the questions are in order to register to use the wild bunch forum

I only bring up the issue again because the last question isn't even applicable anymore.

Who is SASS #4?:

What does "CAS" stand for?:

What town is WR held in?:

There isn't a Winter Range anymore.

Not everyone knows the answer to the first question either.

Especially if your a new shooter who just wants to find out what WB is all about.

Who keeps track of other people's badge numbers anyway?

2 hours ago, Colt Laredo said:

Not everyone knows the answer to the first question either.

Especially if your a new shooter who just wants to find out what WB is all about.

Who keeps track of other people's badge numbers anyway?

Most folks know the membership number of those that started the game...

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I would venture that most new shooters do not know sass badge numbers of other people. Many don't remember Aliases either.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Been a member since ‘08. Glad they started the game, but I’ve never had a need to know their number.

Not being snarky, but I’d like to know how that bit of info furthers the game?

23 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Been a member since ‘08. Glad they started the game, but I’ve never had a need to know their number.

Not being snarky, but I’d like to know how that bit of info furthers the game?

It's not so much a "Need", rather just a simple equating the number with the person. Like we all know who SASS #1 is...kinda respectful...which leads into your second comment/question.

Do you wanna get into a debate about all the things here on the Wire that furthers the game?

Then again, I guess that some folks just don't care a rat-a$$ about some traditions...history...tell ya what, let's all just forget about all those has-beens...let's further the game!

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's not so much a "Need", rather just a simple equating the number with the person. Like we all know who SASS #1 is...kinda respectful...which leads into your second comment/question.

Do you wanna get into a debate about all the things here on the Wire that furthers the game?

Then again, I guess that some folks just don't care a rat-a$$ about some traditions...history...tell ya what, let's all just forget about all those has-beens...let's further the game!

Phantom

Read my post. I said nothing about a debate. It was a straight up question in which you proffered your opinion in the first paragraph. Cool.

Everything after that was unnecessary and snotty.  Sorry to have bothered you. 

I'm still not sure why we are required to pass a test to peruse the WB wire. Maybe someone can explain it. This forum does not require one.

37 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Read my post. I said nothing about a debate. It was a straight up question in which you proffered your opinion in the first paragraph. Cool.

Everything after that was unnecessary and snotty.  Sorry to have bothered you. 

Oh please...

What was the purpose of this: Not being snarky, but I’d like to know how that bit of info furthers the game?

...if not to debate...?

Man...some folks are so fricken sensitive...

Phantom

12 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

So, back to the OP... Does somebody want to quote for me the three history questions you have to answer to join the SAS wire?

You mean "Tex", "Cowboy Action Shooting", and "Phoenix" ?

7 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

You mean "Tex", "Cowboy Action Shooting", and "Phoenix" ?

Those would be the answers for the three questions you need to answer to join the Wild Bunch Wire.

I am wanting someone to tell me the three history questions that you need to answer to join the SASS wire.

7 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Those would be the answers for the three questions you need to answer to join the Wild Bunch Wire.

I am wanting someone to tell me the three history questions that you need to answer to join the SASS wire.

Um, yes... no and... Phantom! how'd i do?

8 hours ago, Colt Laredo said:

I'm still not sure why we are required to pass a test to peruse the WB wire. Maybe someone can explain it. This forum does not require one.

It keeps the Riff-Raff and Dead horse beaters to a minimum.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Credit card number, expiration date and that little 3 digit number printed on the back?

All the questions are designed to do is to prove you are a human. The system that the WB wire uses is prone to spam bots and without the questionsWB wire gets overrun and it’s a mess to clean up.  Maybe easier questions are in order? 

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Ahh, now I got it!! :D

My answer to your question is NONE!! I consider such questions only reasonable to keep bots away, but the answers need to be kind of obvious, else you just discourage new members. Or you wanna stay willfully a private circle, and only the "worthy" who can solve the riddle can join, Templar like...

I mean, I had to googel the answers for the WBAS forum when I joined a year ago (and I had to google them again for my first couple of posts). I couldn't find the answers by clicking through the SASS pages then (now, I'd know where they're hidden). 

I started into CAS in 2018 and joined SASS in 2019. I read the SHB and a lot (really A LOT) of old posts on the wire to get all information possible obout the game. I really enjoy CAS and I'm glad that people had the idea, courage and persistence to start and develop it back then, and I am very grateful to those pards. But I never stumbled across their batch numbers or names on the wire. For those who are part of this game for a long time and probably met the founders in person it may seem disrespectful to not know their names, but it's not. It's just hard to remember and relate names to faces you've never seen. And while I respect every one of this forum I probably wouldn't recognize anybody in real life if I saw her/him (maybe except Jed I. Knight and Branchwater Jack due to their great video channels :))

Talking of names, I think there are other names these days that are more important and attract the attention of new members, such like Pale Wolf Brunelle with his vast rule knowledge and clear statements on WTCs; or the very helpful inputs and dead-on (often very straight to your face) comments by the one that calls himself Phantom.

Equanimous Phil (who regularly has to look up his own batch number...)

4 minutes ago, Dusty Boddems said:

All the questions are designed to do is to prove you are a human. The system that the WB wire uses is prone to spam bots and without the questionsWB wire gets overrun and it’s a mess to clean up.  Maybe easier questions are in order? 

I'm still waiting for someone to give me a sensible reason why they are separate forums, let alone entirety different software foundations.

All of those questions can be answered with a simple google search, especially SASS #4. 

Branchwater, that is the discussion they are having on the Wild Bunch wire currently as well. The most popular version would seem to be, at the very least upgrade the forum to be in line with this one. Part of that answer is the amount of attention that Wild Bunch gets. It can be the stepchild at times because some are only concerned about the CAS part. I myself would entirely be in favor of the software upgrade, but I think separate forums is the way to go. Separate moderators, another pile of items for classifieds, different range of load data, and different topics of discussion. 

16 hours ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

Part of that answer is the amount of attention that Wild Bunch gets. It can be the stepchild at times because some are only concerned about the CAS part. I myself would entirely be in favor of the software upgrade, but I think separate forums is the way to go.

CAS and WBAS are both a part of CAS SASS. So, why not share the same platform? "SASS Forums" should be renamed to "CAS Forums" and WBAS could be integrated as a separate section like the "Event Forums". Half the maintenance, one registration for members and the Wild Bunch forum would be easier to find than now (there are always posts on the SASS Wire directing people to the WB forum with their question, because people aren't aware of the dedicated forum).

Separate moderators

It's very common in other forums to have different moderators for different sub forums.

another pile of items for classifieds

While some items can interest both groups, like a 97 or a big bore lever rifle.

I would like to see a SASS Wild Bunch forum added to this platform. Would get more participation. No need for a separate classified, wild bunch equipment and guns are already in the SASS classifieds.

5 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

CAS and WBAS are both a part of CAS. So, why not share the same platform? "SASS Forums" should be renamed to "CAS Forums" and WBAS could be integrated as a separate section like the "Event Forums". Half the maintenance, one registration for members and the Wild Bunch forum would be easier to find than now (there are always posts on the SASS Wire directing people to the WB forum with their question, because people aren't aware of the dedicated forum).

I would only argue that your terms are flipped in that CAS and WBAS are both divisions of SASS, being that S.A.S.S is the organization and that Cowboy Action Shooting and Wild Bunch Action shooting (as it is more formally called) are the styles based on equipment. This is just nit picking though. 

I would honestly not be bothered in the least if they were one platform.  

9 hours ago, Artemus Von Schutze said:

I would only argue that your terms are flipped in that CAS and WBAS are both divisions of SASS

Of course, you're right. Seems that my fingers got disconnected from the brain while typing :blush: I corrected it in my original post.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:10 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I sure didn't when I started on this board. Now I only know #1, #4, and #6 7.

This board did have questions to join. I remember I started with #1 and people complained they didn't know who it was. I have no idea what it/they are now.

Archived