SASS Wire Forum

Hiking gun

Whiskey Hicks

Just got a new cross draw for my Barkeep in .22 mag from Big Creek Leather in Alabama. Just something to take hiking with me out in the sticks locally.

I ordered a birdshead back strap assembly and grips. How much does the birdshead help with reducing jacket bulge?

B7AA92E6-D600-44D8-B270-7534875D6702.jpeg

I like it. I bought it more or less because I liked the idea of a lightweight carry snubbie in a big caliber, and that leads you straight to the Bulldog.

Dedicated .44 spls aren't common revolvers anymore, and especially in a light weight. Not sure there are any others in current production. The Bulldog is 19.5 oz unloaded; very light for a 40+ caliber gun.

I like to pocket carry a revolver backpacking, for reliability, and lightweight because at my age any weight saved in the mountains is a good thing. Also in the woods I like the large bore gun.

When you handle the gun, you know it's not a Smith, but it's well-made, has a good track record, and is quite reasonably priced.

I have a Roughrider in both Birdshead and regular grip. Just compared them and it will definitely print less.

I just chopped a Glock 21 grip to match a Glock 30.  Removing that 1.06" helps conceal under a tee shirt.

My normal trail gun is a Ruger SP-101.  That rounded grip tucks well and prevents digging in my side.

One of the first things I did to my Bulldog was grind the edges down on the cylinder latch.  The gun is a faily heavy recoiler and that latch sliced my thumb all the time, so it got "dehorned".

Loved that gun, but sold it when I lost my job and had to feed the family.

11 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Taking inspiration from the  thread title...my hiking gun is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spl.

That’s one of my bucket list guns. 

WH, I like your approach with that pistol. Should serve you well in the woods. 

My everyday carry no matter where I'm going. S&W 442 in .38 spl +P. It's so easy to carry!

IMG_2219.JPG

On 7/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, Whiskey Hicks said:

I saw a Bulldog in .44 spl at a LGS for pretty inexpensive. How do you like it?

I love my charter 44 bulldog....got a speed loader and Altima rosewood grips...very nice little revolver.

IMG_20210801_153633372.jpg

Not a fan of hiking - much prefer riding, but never the less, my favorite going into the woods gun is the Colt SAA, 4.75" in .45 Colt,

carried in a cross draw rig, with some spare rounds in the fanny pack.

Edited to add:  My carry round for that is the WInchester Ranger 225 gr JHP.  Shoots to point of aim at 20 yds.

IMG_4291-1.jpg

An excellent suggestion I heard from another instructor once was to find a bright colored messenger bag and sew a nylon holster inside it. Makes the fact you are carrying a gun invisible. Don't get one in a tacticool color.

Traipsing through the woods my favorite carry gun is my S&W 327 Night Guard loaded with 8 rounds of .357 Magnum. I used to carry Remington 158 grain JSP ammo but I shot all that up over time. I did try Hornady American Gunner .357 mag with 125 grain hollow points, but from a 2.5” barrel the flame and report were just stupid so I switched back to a 158 grain load. 
Now that I am in Granola Land I am not doing much woods traipsing and just biding my time until Independence Day. 

Back when I could still go hiking through the woods my favorite companion was a 4 5/8  Inch barrel Ruger SSR in 32 mag. It was the perfect woods walking gun here in Western Pa

No CCW or even open carry in Canada now, so usually toted this.

Handy little thing. 

12 gauge Open Hammer Wyatt Earp Coach Gun 010.JPG

Archived