SASS Wire Forum

entry level WB 1911? 1911a1 clone...

Last Call Saul

I am entertaining an idea of getting a 1911 for a wild bunch.  I have a Springlied Champion 1911, but it has 3 dot sights and I don't want to modify it.  budget is up to $600, so probably looking into Armscor or something else imported... are there guns that require minimum work to run reliably with cast bullets?

what are the things to avoid, what to look for? what is the consensus - does a gun like that exist?

I am shooting Cimarrons which are Armscor and other than losing some brass forward of the line, which I understand is likely a weak extractor, they have been very reliable with excellent triggers.  Hard to go wrong with an Armscor, especially for a beginner, and they are plentiful.

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Perhaps you are unaware that there is a Wild Bunch Forum...

https://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php

i was not... thanks

Okay, real 1911A1 copies have garbage sights, Cimarron, ATI and the Springfield Defenders all have much better sights on them. Early Rocks and ATIs had poor magazines and recoil springs  so switch out the recoil spring and pick up some MecGar or McCormack Shooting Star mags.

Everyone I know with an sds imports 1911 raves about how good they are. I missed out on getting them when they were about $350 and settled on a R.I.A. I'm happy enough with it that I picked up a second one as a back up just in case. You can pick them up at rural king for under $500 out the door. 

I run an Iver Johnson A1. seen here:

https://iverjohnsonarms.com/store/p11/1911A1_CHR45BW.html

best 1911 I've ever owned, you can find them on gunbroker for around 6-700 if you're patient...

13 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

My $300 Rock Island is a nail driver 

As a quick aside...

My wife has the full-size 9mm. It's stupid fun to shoot and has been dead reliable. 

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, real 1911A1 copies have garbage sights, Cimarron, ATI and the Springfield Defenders all have much better sights on them. Early Rocks and ATIs had poor magazines and recoil springs  so switch out the recoil spring and pick up some MecGar or McCormack Shooting Star mags.

The Chip McCormack shooting star Mags are excellent. 

11 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

I am entertaining an idea of getting a 1911 for a wild bunch.  I have a Springlied Champion 1911, but it has 3 dot sights and I don't want to modify it.  budget is up to $600, so probably looking into Armscor or something else imported... are there guns that require minimum work to run reliably with cast bullets?

what are the things to avoid, what to look for? what is the consensus - does a gun like that exist?

Last Call Saul,

Provided your Champion has a 5" barrel and is not a lightweight model, it's legal the Modern category. 3 dot sights only need to be blacked out for a Traditional pistol.

Tully

I have shot both the 1911 and the 1911A1 for Wild Bunch, and while I do think the 1911 looks really cool, I think the 1911A1 is a better design for all the same reasons that the 1911 was modified into the A1 in the first place.  The longer tail on the grip safety means that the hammer does not bite into your hand and make it bleed.   The arched grip means it's a much more natural pointer when shooting one handed.  The sights are marginally better.  About the only thing I actually like on the 1911 better than the changes for the A1 is the longer trigger on the original version.   But I have big hands.  

So with all that said, I'd recommend a pistol in 1911A1 configuration.

As to what to get...   Well, all of my 1911 style pistols were made by Colt.  The only exception is one made by Remington Rand during WWII.   A good, shootable used Colt can be found for a reasonable price.  I'd recommend going that route.  You'll never regret it.   Just make sure it's in good serviceable condition and not worn out.

22 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Last Call Saul,

Provided your Champion has a 5" barrel and is not a lightweight model, it's legal the Modern category. 3 dot sights only need to be blacked out for a Traditional pistol.

Tully

“To Tully, you listen.”

Many people have the mistaken impression that a “GI” type 1911 is needed for Wild Bunch.  The Modern category (which is where the majority of shooters are) allows pistols with lots of features that are, well, modern!

Always remember you can take a cheap mag and jam a high dollar pistol.

you can take cheap pistol and run high dollar mags  goes a long way for reliability. 

Buy Tripp mags! Just a few dollars more and last so far forever..........

My rock island runs every piece if lead,frangible,hollow point and poly coated bullet like a singer sewing machine. Never a hiccup! And it is also very accurate for gi sights...wilson combat mags make it perfect.

On 7/31/2021 at 7:45 AM, Tully Mars said:

Last Call Saul,

Tully

Has a magwell though

15 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

Has a magwell though

Unless it's a dedicated 1911 for action pistol. The magwell can easily be removed. I shoot a Springfield TRP Tactical, with the magwell removed.

There's nothing wrong with buying another pistol, just pointing out yours is legal, providing it a 5" all steel model.

Just now, Tully Mars said:

Unless it's a dedicated 1911 for action pistol. The magwell can easily be removed. I shoot a Springfield TRP Tactical, with the magwell removed.

There's nothing wrong with buying another pistol, just pointing out yours is legal, providing it a 5" all steel model.

It is 5" all steel... my magwell is integrated with a mainspring housing...  and it has longer grips to go to the magwell.... and as you said why pass an opportunity to get another gun :)

On 7/30/2021 at 7:33 PM, Last Call Saul said:

There is a Remington R1 for $700 on the Classified right now you might check out. includes a bunch of mags for practice. Don't have one but have shot a friends and it is a decent entry level gun in your price neighborhood. Some of the more dedicated WB shooters could fill you in on the pros and cons.

I am middle of the road (at best) in WB and I use a springfield range officer in modern. Good magazines make a world of difference.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

There was a recent thread about this in the Wild Bunch Forum, that might give you insight.

I would highly recommend the Ruger SR1911, it is probably the most common. Last I knew the '21 Overall Champion was running one. I shot one until I jumped into traditional. Otherwise I have heard good things about the Springfield GI for that price point and it is on my short list.

rock island is what I use for traditional category. paid $230.00 few years ago for mine. 

Archived