SASS Wire Forum

Dash cams

For civilian use, does anyone have experience with dash cams?  With all the crazy drivers out there, I am considering getting one for my own self.  There are lots of them out there and I don't want to break the bank but want a decent one.  Any help?  Thanks

I used a GoPro for a while.  Replaceable micro sd.  Easy to move from truck to bike, then in pocket so it wasn't stolen from the bike.  Had to remember to turn it on every time and charge it.  

Things I learned and would want:

Auto on with movement so it would've recorded the hit and run driving away.  

Auto on with ignition so I didn't have to remember to turn it on.  

Something that can be hardwired instead of batteries.

Auto looping where it records over old footage so you don't have to manually wipe the old files.

A single camera you move from vehicle to vehicle is more economic but more hassle.  Maybe a fixed camera would get you an insurance discount, a Gopro did not.

A forward facing camera does not record who broke your side mirror or rear ended you.  It does record that you were stopped at a red when the car moved violently.  

It'd be nice if you could plug in a recorder to use the vehicles built in cameras.  Maybe those would get damaged in the crash where you can grab a dashcam and point it at the drunk/drugged out offender staggering away to prove the car wasn't stolen (heard about this one).  

I run a Garmin in both vehicles and have a spare for any rental. Power via USB, bury the power cable as clean as possible, then does all the good things. Auto power, loops for 12 days(full 2 hour commute and various side trips) on a 64MB card, smart phone link and upload. Only thing I don’t do that I should is run front  and back. Cheaply added and sometimes necessary, insurance. 

Howdy,

Maybe talk to an insurance agent who has been around for a while?

Watch Judge Judy for a while and see how many cases could be

resolved with recorded evidence.  

Yesterday a clown passed me and tried to come back into my lane

without being clear of my car.  On a four lane with nothing in front of clown.

And lately everyone accuses everyone of being on a phone.  Careful there.

Best

CR

Archived