SASS Wire Forum

Cheap shotshells at Walmart

Abilene, SASS # 27489

I had picked up a few cases of Winchester LNLR  recently at the current inflated prices just to give me a secure feeling for the next 6 months or so, but still looking for deals.  Last night at a San Antonio Walmart, there were Winchester Super-Target Xtra-Lite Target Loads.  1 oz at 1180 fps.  Heavier than LNLR but not too bad.  Short steel base and the hull has tiny ribs, feels almost smooth.   They had these in both 8-shot and 9-shot.  Limit 3.  So I got three, and then went back today and got 3 more.  I will try a few in my Baikal at tomorrow's match to see if they shuck.  If not, then will use them in the '97.

There were no prices listed on the shelf for these boxes.   The nice surprise was at checkout when they rang up for $5.93 each.  :)  At those prices I will put up with a little more recoil!

I've come across value packs of 100 shells three times recently at Wal*Marts for $24 per pack.  I bought them because I need to save my powder for loading metallic cartridges for CAS.  This component drought may not end soon.  I save my LNLR AAs for my wife who is more sensitive to recoil than I.

Update - so on the first stage today at Texican Rangers, shotgun was last, so I shot two LNLR and then shot two of these Xtra-Lite Target loads.  Noticeably heavier, but not bad.  And no, they did not shuck out of the SxS, even with a couple strong jerks.  So, '97 fodder for sure with these.  I did stop at the Walmart and pick up 3 more boxes after the match.  Looks like the same amount of shells on the shelf as 2 days ago (minus the 9 I bought).  

I bought a bunch of Estate 1.oz - 1180 fps at Wally world & am very happy with them. They reload quite a bit better than AA.

My Wally World is always out. When asked they said no one buying them so they stopped stocking. None on self therefore no sales, must be new math

On 7/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Update -.. And no, they did not shuck out of the SxS,....  

Sorry to hear that, but I had the same experience with my Stoeger and the cheap Winchester.  They were the only smokeless shotshells I brought to the match that day, but I had my TTN and some handloaded black powder shells.  I switched to the TTN after the first stage, still using the Winchesters, and had issues.  I finally used the TTN and Blackpowder and completed the match clean.

BTW, I've had no problems with the cheap Estate or the cheap Federals in either shotgun.

Archived