SASS Wire Forum

'97 Winchester problem

Bugler

A dear friend has a 97 with a problem I don't understand.....when loaded with 6 rounds for a Wild Bunch shoot the only way he can run the slide bar to chamber a round is to cock the hammer first, which he must do for the first 4 rounds and then he can run the gun normally on the last two rounds.

Any suggestions my eagle eyed 97 guru's?

Bugler

PS. Who is doing 97 work these days? Seems so many of the tried and proven have retired.

First off, here's a nice video by Maker-Wright that explains how the action should be working, and how the slide lock specifically should work.  Good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZKVkru26a0

Cocking the hammer normally causes the action slide lock to lock the action from moving, so if he is having to do this to ALLOW the action to run, that slide lock bar is probably bent or in very bad shape.   Bending the action slide lock bar can be caused by pulling back hard on the slide while shooting.   As the video explains, this puts a lot of force directly on the end of the action slide lock bar. 

Sometimes burrs on the rear end of the action slide bar or where it fits into the action slide lock can cause the lock not to open.

A bent or worn slide lock bar (or worn side of hammer) can be causing it to lock when not wanted.

Dirty carrier slot in which the slide lock. pivots 

Too tight a tension on the recoil spring (helical spring around the mag tube), which jams the action slide bar into the action slide lock bar..  

A well known gunsmith working specifically on the 97 is Squibber and crew  at  Old Western Gun Repair.

https://www.dustybunch.com/

good luck, GJ

I had my share of issues with some of the not so nice old ones I've owned, but nothing like your issue. 

I'd be curious to see what the issue was. 

I did have one that was a bit cantankerous, turned out the action slide lock release plunger was broken (#63) .

In addition there was lots of old hard dirt and grease under the action slide lock (#71). I've also has issues when changing hammers. In half cock the hammer locks the action. Timing can be an issue as there was a ton of hand fitting to these older guns. When the hammer is in the fired position, it unlocks the action. How the '97 works rivals some Rube Goldberg machines, IMHO. Parts are fairly interchangeable on the later "E" models. 

https://marauder.homestead.com/files/97parts.htm

I remember seeing a buyers guide check list somewhere, It pointed out what to look for when looking at a gunshow table specimen. The new Chinese ones are even more of a challenge, you may have to rework the odd part. 

The Norinco 1897 Shotgun.pdf

I will ask the stupid question, he does have the "load 6" spring/follower kit in his feed tube correct? Stuffing 6 in a 97 without this has made some locked up shotguns before. 

Just thought I would check the easy things off first.

Thanks.    Another clue to the operation of the IAC 97 is always welcome      GW

Set up for 6 rounds.... not a Norinco....not sure what series,but can find out

Joe Cross....this is Donk's 97

3 hours ago, Bugler said:

Set up for 6 rounds.... not a Norinco....not sure what series,but can find out

Joe Cross....this is Donk's 97

Try pushing forward on the forearm, before pulling the forearm back. 

OLG 

On 7/30/2021 at 1:51 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try pushing forward on the forearm, before pulling the forearm back. 

OLG 

This was my first thought.

Has he tried loading 5?

Archived