SASS Wire Forum

The End of the Era

Some of you might not realize it but California has more “Country” than most states have total land. The idea that Cowboys are/were only in the Midwest is not correct.  I've have worked Roundups, branded, castrated and sometimes just operated the squeeze on my Wife's brother's Cattle ranch in the Sierra Nevada mountains enough to know that it’s much too hard of work to suit me. I'm a poor horseman, I can't throw a rope worth a damn and I never really cared much about getting good at any of it. But still, I've done it. Not many folks can make that claim. I can spit, drink, throw BS and enjoy the evening fire as much as any of the Professional Cowboys that come in to help with the Roundup. So, am I a Cowboy? .... heck no,  but I play one on weekends. As long as I'm able and continue to play this game, the era ain’t over. End of Story!

Here’s a photo from my front porch up until 3 yrs ago when we had to move to town.

P5110360.JPG

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

i dont remember a time without electricity , except in storms which was frequent , i do remember a time without indoor plumbing but that was not as common in those days , i dont remember not having a phone but i do remember a party line and having to go through an operator to place a call beyond the city limits , i dont remember not having a radio but i remember that first TV , then i remember the building of Eisenhower's interstate highway system , JFKs election and death  , the moon landing and woodstock , i was blessed to know a barnstormer that had his license to fly signed by orvil wright and to fly with him , all of which my kids think of as ancient history , that is sad 

i guess an era ends when no one remembers it anymore as this lives on in our endeavors as humble as they may be , i question if anyone will remember if this goes away , 

I'm right there with ya!

Gone are the days of simple pleasures.

I miss having horses, to an extent...

I stand in awe of our cattle ranchers.

Got to go help out on a branding...one of our SASS members family who is still living the life invited us...it was eye opening.

I remember one IOOF picinic when I was young. Started with a pancake breakfast...and then all day fun. Including a bareback mule race for the men. They had to ride to on end, put on a skirt, blouse and womans hat...get back onbackwards, and back to the other end. It was a hoot.

Now, it is all about the technology...the imagination is gone.

8 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Some of you might not realize it but California has more “Country” than most states have total land. The idea that Cowboys are/were only in the Midwest is not correct.  I've have worked Roundups, branded, castrated and sometimes just operated the squeeze on my Wife's brother's Cattle ranch in the Sierra Nevada mountains enough to know that it’s much too hard of work to suit me. I'm a poor horseman, I can't throw a rope worth a damn and I never really cared much about getting good at any of it. But still, I've done it. Not many folks can make that claim. I can spit, drink, throw BS and enjoy the evening fire as much as any of the Professional Cowboys that come in to help with the Roundup. So, am I a Cowboy? .... heck no,  but I play one on weekends. As long as I'm able and continue to play this game, the era ain’t over. End of Story!

Here’s a photo from my front porch up until 3 yrs ago when we had to move to town.

P5110360.JPG

I don't believe we said only in the Midwest.

Just watched a show on the cattle ranch that was on the islands off the coast of California.

My reference to the coastal areas was more to the big cities that sprouted there, and started new ways of life/making a living.

I appologize if I didn't clarify...many ranches still across the country, and farms...for wich I'm thankful.

Phantom said it. Define "Cowboy" era. For me it means a very small group of men who worked cattle ranches, managed the herd until ready for market, and the headed up the cattle and drove them to market. This would be mostly the west and southwest. These ranches had no fences and the cattle grazed on the open range. It started after the Civil war when large herds had to get to market. So the trail drive was born as the market for beef significantly increased.

Railroads expanding and reaching small towns, not just big cities and east to west travel, eliminated the need for large, long distance cattle drives. Reducing the need for cowhands. Ranches became fenced in also reducing the need for cowhands.

The railroad and fences dramatically reduced the need for men on horseback working cattle. And yes, combustion engine driven vehicles also reduced the need for horse to "ride" the fence line. Not the declaration of the end of the frontier, the victorian era, any war, or Presidential change. 

There are still cowboys around, but they get off their horse, ATV, motorcycle at the end of the day, drive back to the house in a pickup truck.

Archived