SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS: WT Trade Reich's Revolver in 44?

Doc Moses

I have an old revolver I picked up to use in a project. Never did. I THINK it is a Reichs revolver but there are very few markings. The ELG-STAR is a Liege Belgium proof.  There is an E- STAR on the barrel and cylinder that is a French Mutzig proof. Also an NJH on the frame and under the grips an MCS

? NI.  I think. I am not sure what this is or what it is worth. I would love to trade or if you know what it is please educate me. The half octagon barrel with the lip at the muzzle makes it a probable Reichs gun but all the proofs are French or Belgium. Check out the pictures. 5 inch barrel from the forcing cone.  Missing a screw on the ejector and the ejector swivels out to punch out shells unlike a SAA.  Grips are probably not original.

If you have a trade or info run it by me. Thanks.

20210729_220653.jpg

20210729_220702.jpg

20210729_220725.jpg

20210729_220739.jpg

20210729_221008.jpg

20210729_221114.jpg

20210729_221138.jpg

20210729_221147.jpg

20210729_222201.jpg

20210729_225320.jpg

Belgian made, it's not a single-action Reichsrevolver or close copy.  

THOUSANDS of Frankenstein-like semi-copies and designs came out of Belgium at the time.  Most cheap, some higher quality intended to compete for military contracts and such.

Surf the web for picture to match.  Shouldn't take more than a month or two, given the variations.

For example, notice frame, grip, ejector, hammer, trigger guard pin & screw placement, and loading lever similarities to your revolver of some of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=belgian double action antique revolver&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CchK9pCYMQMAYb6A2vSHFOvf&client=ms-android-att-us-revc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CBQQuIIBahcKEwiojrfKwYryAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQCg&biw=360&bih=670#imgrc=XufsezQ8kWoWyM

Not your revolver, but a start.

Trade for an older like-new Pietta 1851 Navy replica with box and chromed grip frame?  It could keep my Chamelot-Delvigne company in the back of the safe.

Thanks for the help Palouse. The Belgium mark is prominant but why the two Es with a star above them?  Those are French.  I do not have any 44-40s to try. It was fired with a cylinder full of lightly loaded 44 specials without issue. My understanding of the German 44 is it was a 10.6mm that copied the 44 Russian. If it is a Belgium or French Reichs revolver clone it can be dbl or single action and this one is definitely single action...even with the trigger hanging down in the middle like it does!  The Pietta is not quite what I am after. I want to stay with a cartridge gun.  Any caliber and make...probably!

Thanks. 

Probably chambered in .44 russian or 10.6 German which is very close.

I've got a very nice 1878 Marlin (shootable) pocket single action in .38 S&W (not .38 special ) that I'd trade you for it.

Provided the action works in yours.

I need a project to keep my mind sharp as post Covid recovery and old age seems to be creeping up on me.

Archived