SASS Wire Forum

Ordination Of A Deacon

Subdeacon Joe

Our priest's eldest son was ordained into the diaconate today.   Not only the son of a priest,  but the grandson,  and I think great grandson of priests.  

A few photos taken by the wife of another priest. 

Click on the photo to get to the album.

Fr. Deacon Justin's Ordination

19 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Congratulations I know y’all are proud and I am proud also. That is a beautiful church.  Where are y’all located? Irish ☘️ Pat

Thank you.   The parish is Protection of the Holy Virgin Mary.  The church is St. Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Cathedral, the 2nd church on the grounds.   Santa Rosa,  Sonoma County,  California. 

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Joe, would you consider sharing the photos you put up a few years back of the restoration of your cathedral?

It was amazinga nd inspitational and i think a lot of folks would enjoy seeing them. 

Will do.  Except it isn't restoration, it was founded in 1996 (60 years after the first church was founded).  
Several albums here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sgmworkshop/collections/72157624734590294/

Journal articles here:

https://orthodoxartsjournal.org/tag/santa-rosa/

31 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Are you looking for a promotion from Sub to Fulldeacon Joe?

Nope.  If offered, I wouldn't decline, but it is very unlikely.  Main reason is that I was divorced by my first wife, and then I married a divorced woman.  In some jurisdictions, because all that happened before we became Orthodox, that wouldn't matter.  But in ours it does.  

I've run into something like that here,Joe, when my wife and I wanted to marry. We were both divorced and the pastor at the church we contacted wouldn't consent to officiate. We ended up getting married in our home in front of a large ship picture. My wife referred to it by another "R" rated name.:rolleyes::lol::blush:

My fraternity's chaplain and a good friend of my parents, also a former neighbor Presbyterian Reverend Minor Bruner, refused to perform the ceremony for my wife and I because we were eloping and he said he couldn't go against our parents' wishes.

However, when we remarried eleven years later he stepped up and conducted the ceremony with (he said) "great pleasure and God's blessing."

He remained our friend until he died in 1991.

13 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Will do.  Except it isn't restoration, it was founded in 1996 (60 years after the first church was founded).  
Several albums here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sgmworkshop/collections/72157624734590294/

Journal articles here:

https://orthodoxartsjournal.org/tag/santa-rosa/

Joe, I was very impressed when you first posted this.  I was awed by the "Old World" feeling, the colors, the skills used, and the near perfection of the craftsmanship displayed.  I had no idea that all of these things were still practiced today.

I am no less impressed today.

21 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Joe, I was very impressed when you first posted this.  I was awed by the "Old World" feeling, the colors, the skills used, and the near perfection of the craftsmanship displayed.  I had no idea that all of these things were still practiced today.

I am no less impressed today.

Thank you.  The monk who is the lead on our iconography studied under Leonid Ouspenski and has spent decades trying to perfect his art.  He spent several years on our iconography program just on learning were to source the lime, how to slake it, how to apply it. And I think he went to Italy to work with some old fresco painters. 

He and his assistant do one small section at a time, maybe about 4 ft x 6 ft.  One gets up at about 0300 to plaster a section, then the other comes back to start drawing and painting a few hours later.  

It may come as a shock to some of you, but I'm Baptist! :o 

Most Baptist churches also do not ordain men as deacons who either they or their spouse was previously married and divorced.  The justification for that is 1 Timothy 3:12  "Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife..."

I can assure you, although I've been divorced, my wife now of over 46 years will only tolerate me being the husband of but one wife--HER!

I personally believe Paul was addressing the 1st Century Church when male converts were coming into the Church with more than one wife and their children living with him.   There was a serious discussion within the Church about this matter.  It was decided that they would not force the new convert to put away (divorce) his other wives until he had only one.  Breaking up the family was determined not to be a good idea, but the convert with more than one wife could not be ordained as a bishop or deacon.  (I suspect the Church figured he had enough on his hands! ^_^)  In parts of the world today, the Church is going through this very issue.  What do we do if a covert has multiple wives?

Also, when this subject comes up in my church, I sometimes throw this out for consideration.

Do you know that God, the LORD, Yahweh, is divorced?   Those that have not considered this before are rather shocked. 

Then I read Jeremiah chapter 3 to them.   And specifically, in Jeremiah 3:8 "And I (the LORD) saw, when all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce;...."

I am an ordained Baptist deacon and have served as a deacon, but I respect those Baptist churches that I have been a member of that would not allow me to serve as a deacon.  I do not make an issue of it.

Also for many years I was a facilitator in Divorce Care and many participants were comforted that they were not alone--God also has divorced.  The Father knows the pain and anguish of divorce and you can hear it in Jeremiah chapter 3, especially verses 12 thru 15.

Archived