SASS Wire Forum

Smoke from fires

I am in South Dakota right now. The smoke from the fires far to the north is really bad here. Just seems to keep getting worse the farther west I go

We've been getting hazy days all the way east here in Ohio. The weather guessers are saying it's from the fires!:o

I have relatives in northern Minnesota who say the atmosphere is horribly hazy and smokey from the fires in Ontario so badly that poor air quality is causing respiratory problems. :(

1 minute ago, Dantankerous said:

I have relatives in northern Minnesota who say the atmosphere is horribly hazy and smokey from the fires in Ontario so badly that poor air quality is causing respiratory problems. :(

Down here in southern Minnesota, also.  It's supposed to let up by this afternoon.  Smells like a dying campfire.

11 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I am in South Dakota right now. The smoke from the fires far to the north is really bad here. Just seems to keep getting worse the farther west I go

We have had smoke haze for most of the summer. Fire season started early to the West of us.

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We have had smoke haze for most of the summer. Fire season started early to the West of us.

We had two lighting strike fires in the area around the cabin last weekend.

They were quick to get them out.

I think letting them burn isn't the best theory.

I understand what burning does, but there are times that that should NOT be allowed to take its course.

We can manage things better if we allowed folks to go in and harvest dead/dying trees...let folks in to clear out the downed trees at no charge, heat their homes with it.

If we use all the old ways of forrest health, we might see less fires.

Visibility here today is better than it's been in weeks. Right now, I can make out vague shapes of mountains 15 miles away. Yesterday, it was about 9, and the day before, maybe 5. Last weekend, on 287 north of Wolf Creek headed to a shoot, I drove through a burn that still had smoking stumps and logs, but the firefighters had moved on to bigger fires. The weekend before, I15 went through a burn near Craig on the way to our state shoot near Great Falls, as referenced by Kid Rich.

I don't remember a "fire season" when I was growing up, but something changed, and now it is smoky and hazy for weeks on end every year from late April to early October - pretty much from when the snow is mostly melted until it snows again in the fall. :(

Same here in Utah, the air has been so thick with haze and smoke that the sun appears red when it sets and you can barely see the outline of the mountains. Utah already has poor air quality due to inversions and it's even worse now.

We had smoke here in the Atlanta area last week. The said it was from western fires, though I thought it was from all the marijuana being smoked on Bankhead Hwy.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Visibility here today is better than it's been in weeks. Right now, I can make out vague shapes of mountains 15 miles away. Yesterday, it was about 9, and the day before, maybe 5. Last weekend, on 287 north of Wolf Creek headed to a shoot, I drove through a burn that still had smoking stumps and logs, but the firefighters had moved on to bigger fires. The weekend before, I15 went through a burn near Craig on the way to our state shoot near Great Falls, as referenced by Kid Rich.

I don't remember a "fire season" when I was growing up, but something changed, and now it is smoky and hazy for weeks on end every year from late April to early October - pretty much from when the snow is mostly melted until it snows again in the fall. :(

A lot of it comes from all the idiots moving into an area that are used to city life and never had to deal with fire danger before.

kR

kR

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We had two lighting strike fires in the area around the cabin last weekend.

They were quick to get them out.

I think letting them burn isn't the best theory.

I understand what burning does, but there are times that that should NOT be allowed to take its course.

We can manage things better if we allowed folks to go in and harvest dead/dying trees...let folks in to clear out the downed trees at no charge, heat their homes with it.

If we use all the old ways of forrest health, we might see less fires.

Unfortunately a lot of these fires were started by idiots or pyros.

Had a few orange moons here in Indiana and some stellar sunsets. Dust on everything. The rains have helped clear the air some but it doesn't last long.

bad enough here in central minnesota to make my eyes water and some have complained of breathing problems , i will add that the "haze" has left me thinking its cloudy most of the time --can you get a sunburn through this ? just wonderin 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

bad enough here in central minnesota to make my eyes water and some have complained of breathing problems , i will add that the "haze" has left me thinking its cloudy most of the time --can you get a sunburn through this ? just wonderin 

Depends on whether the smoke is from hardwood or softwood.

B)

kR

So far, it is bad for us only on the few days when the wind blows the fire smoke due south.
Most of the time, it blows straight East and it misses us in Sacramento.
Just as well... we don't have any water left to fight the fires anyway.

Well, that was a non-event. :( Technically, it did rain, I suppose, but barely enough to form even a few drips of runoff from my metal roof - I got a lump of coal in my stocking. :(

The weather service says July was the driest month on record here, with less than one one hundredth of an inch of precipitation.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:40 PM, Warden Callaway said:

It's been here in mid-Missouri for most of July. Every day listed as hazy sometimes I can smell the smoke. 

Wed morning, the 4th, the smoke in SoWestMO was heavy enough to cause difficulty breathing. Cleared out by mid morniing

Denver and the Front Range  is listed as #1 WORST city IN THE WORLD!  Everybody warned to stay inside.  My junior son-in-law insisted on biking 30 miles today! I'm beginning to wonder at his judgement.  Younger daughter is not too pleased with him!  I think somebody stole our mountains! Haven't seen them in several days!  Worse in Colorado Springs!  Older daughter says Pikes Peak is missing!  OTOH, people are "trapped" up in the mountains along I-70 due to mudslides from rains at burn sites.  Oh, well, at least the Rockies are up 7 -1 over Miami in the 4th.  

Archived