SASS Wire Forum

tales from behind the plate

An umpire is retiring after working at the collegiate and high school levels for nearly 50 years.  He gave a lot of his stuff to a friend / mentor of mine to give away to other umpires, and it just so happens the guy is exactly the same size as me.  I inherited this Fechtheimer plate coat, recognized by everyone as the highest quality umpire gear in existence -- and unfortunately no longer made.  Other brands are still made (only two!), but not Fechtheimer.  Donning this thing feels like having the torch passed to me.  

This one looks black in the photo, but it's actually navy blue.  The good news is I ordered a black one from Out West Officials a few months ago; it has a 3-month wait time because they are made to order.  So I will have a black one and a navy one now.

If I blow a call, I'm going to look good doing it!

Fechtheimer.jpg

I just found out that one of the two umpires from the U.S. at the olympics is a guy that I mentored before he went to umpire school and on to the pros. Oh yeah, he was also Best Man at my wedding nearly 29 years ago. Congratulations Mark Winters!

Classy!

Keep posting about your umpiring experiences.  I have lived most of my life vicariously!  :lol:

Archived