SASS Wire Forum

I need to “un” screw myself

Billy D Texan

As you can see the side plate screw is buggered up.  I know the cause and I’m kicking myself for it so let’s move on from that please and offer up any advice on how I can get this thing apart.   It’s a brand new Uberti and new screw is in the mail.  

I appreciate any help I can get. 

Billy

1AE326E4-8FB1-40B3-8945-D0FD8F985179.jpeg

Impact screwdriver? I bought one for just that purpose, Allthough mine wasn’t quite that bad! 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Impact screwdriver? I bought one for just that purpose, Allthough mine wasn’t quite that bad! 

I bought an impact screwdriver but the bits are too big.  Perhaps I can dremmel it down 

Mine holds standard bits. I put one of my wheeler bits in and it worked 

you might be able to drill it  and use an easy out as well 

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Mine holds standard bits. I put one of my wheeler bits in and it worked 

you might be able to drill it  and use an easy out as well 

It worked!!! Didn’t have to file it down much.   Backed out easy.    Thanks for your help

billy

F8A8B773-873B-4956-A4DD-11F045F24995.jpeg

You ain’t the first victim of Luigi the gorilla screw tightener at the Uberti  factory!

56 minutes ago, Hoss said:

You ain’t the first victim of Luigi the gorilla screw tightener at the Uberti  factory!

Truer words were never spoken.

You really need some gunsmith size flat bits.   If you can afford 'em, get the Brownells regular set and the thin-bit set.  You will buy once and use them for a LONG time.  Otherwise, we have some lists of specific Brownells magna-tip bits for particular western guns.

Here's one from Pale Wolf Brunelle some time ago:

Ruger Single Action
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-4
210-4 *

Rossi 92
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-5
210-4 *
270-4
300-5
340-5

* Duplicated in above two sets

Colt/clone SAA
340-3
300-3
270-3
210-3
180-3

1866/1873

180-4
210-3
240-3
240-4
340-4
340-6 butt Plate

Marlin 1894

180-4
210-4
270-4
270-5

Marlin 336

300-4
270-3
200-3
180-4
180-3
120-3

Wait till you take out the lever and lifter springs, or the mag tube cap. 

No, on second thought, don't wait.  They just get harder to remove the longer they stay in the gun and get rained on.  Get into that mag tube and clean out any rust, grease, dirt.  Then use a dry waxy oil to protect all that rust-prone area.  Eezox or Boeshield T9 work there.

good luck, GJ

You probably already know this, but I'll caution anyway.

On a new Uberti '73, don't try to loosen the lever and lifter spring screws before removing the springs from their articulating points on the lever and lifter.   They can be lifted off with a screwdriver.   Once the springs are relaxed, there is a CHANCE that the screws can be turned without stripping them, depending who was working at the Uberti factory that day.   

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

There's more than on Luigi working there....the one at the end of the magazine tube screw tightening station is the mostest gorilliast of them all! :blink:

Kajun

There is a tool for removing the magazine cap. 
ivevreplaced mine with a cap that has a Allan wrench fitting instead of a slot. 
Malabo strongly suggest you open up the mag tube and clean it. First time I did mine it was a mess. Very rusty. 

10 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You really need some gunsmith size flat bits.   If you can afford 'em, get the Brownells regular set and the thin-bit set.  You will buy once and use them for a LONG time.  Otherwise, we have some lists of specific Brownells magna-tip bits for particular western guns.

Here's one from Pale Wolf Brunelle some time ago:

Ruger Single Action
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-4
210-4 *

Rossi 92
150-4 *
180-3 *
180-5
210-4 *
270-4
300-5
340-5

* Duplicated in above two sets

Colt/clone SAA
340-3
300-3
270-3
210-3
180-3

1866/1873

180-4
210-3
240-3
240-4
340-4
340-6 butt Plate

Marlin 1894

180-4
210-4
270-4
270-5

Marlin 336

300-4
270-3
200-3
180-4
180-3
120-3

Wait till you take out the lever and lifter springs, or the mag tube cap. 

No, on second thought, don't wait.  They just get harder to remove the longer they stay in the gun and get rained on.  Get into that mag tube and clean out any rust, grease, dirt.  Then use a dry waxy oil to protect all that rust-prone area.  Eezox or Boeshield T9 work there.

good luck, GJ

Solid advice! Thank you! And for the record I was using the proper bit from my kit and it bent thus causing the issue.   That screw was on tight

8 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

You probably already know this, but I'll caution anyway.

On a new Uberti '73, don't try to loosen the lever and lifter spring screws before removing the springs from their articulating points on the lever and lifter.   They can be lifted off with a screwdriver.   Once the springs are relaxed, there is a CHANCE that the screws can be turned without stripping them, depending who was working at the Uberti factory that day.   

I did not know that.   Thank you!

Always remember that an engraver or Jeweler can clean up or recut a clean screw slot in a good quality screw very easily. 

But if the screw was of poor quality to begin with, that is another story.  The new slot can be cut easily enough, but will likely re-strip. 

Even with hardened screws and the correct screwdrivers those little bastages they use for the lifter springs kept stripping on me. After the third time I finally changed them out to hex headed screws and never regretted it.  

5 hours ago, Billy D Texan said:

Solid advice! Thank you! And for the record I was using the proper bit from my kit and it bent thus causing the issue.   That screw was on tight

First thing I would do with a new Uberti firearm is spend the +- $20 for a good, American made complete replacement screw set.  Brownell's, Taylor's and other vendors have them. 

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

First thing I would do with a new Uberti firearm is spend the +- $20 for a good, American made complete replacement screw set.  Brownell's, Taylor's and other vendors have them. 

First thing I would do is buy a nice set of Hollow Ground screwdrivers.

5 hours ago, Billy D Texan said:

I was using the proper bit from my kit and it bent thus causing the issue.  

And thus the need for a 1/4" bit hand impact driver.  The Uberti factory installs fairly soft screws and uses high torques.  That works well until the first disassembly has to be done.  VTI carries complete sets of hardened screws.  First thing I do when I get a new Italian made firearm and a new screw kit is disassemble completely, clean well, remove rust from mag tube (if it has one), deburr any rough spots, and THEN start to do any tuning work that I want to do.   Then it's reassembled with proper lubrication and hard screws to moderate torques.

Don't force a bit or screwdriver past it's limit of strength.  Ruins both driver and screw head.  It takes a few "lessons" like that to learn where the limits are.  You can see the deformation of the screw slot just barely starting - that's when you stop and go to impact drivers or even more severe techniques to get the screws loose.  The loosening of a tight screw needs as much force placed co-axial to the screw as you put on twisting the screw, to keep the tip fully engaged in the slot.  So chuck the gun in a well padded, solid vise and put your upper body weight directly above the screw so you can push AND twist.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I just went to Brownell's and then Taylors and could not find these screws listed

1 minute ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I just went to Brownell's and then Taylors and could not find these screws listed

I did the same.  Taylor’s did have a Uberti replacement screw set.  But they are the factory screws

5 minutes ago, Billy D Texan said:

I did the same.  Taylor’s did have a Uberti replacement screw set.  But they are the factory screws

VTI list them for $65?  I am not sure of the quality of their products.

BILLY D TEXAN - The reason the lever side spring screws are "jammed" is because the rear of the spring boss has not been ground to fit the radius of the frame, causing the spring to tilt as the screw is tightened, binding the screw.  BEFORE reinstalling the springs and screws, re-shape the back of the spring so it will set flat.

ALL - VTI GUNPARTS carries sets of hardened replacement screws.  However, after the initial removal, without over tightening and with correct screwdrivers, hardened screws are not really needed.

LONE RIDER - VTI carries excellent quality parts.  Been doing business with VTI for 30 years.

42 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

BILLY D TEXAN - The reason the lever side spring screws are "jammed" is because the rear of the spring boss has not been ground to fit the radius of the frame, causing the spring to tilt as the screw is tightened, binding the screw.  BEFORE reinstalling the springs and screws, re-shape the back of the spring so it will set flat.

ALL - VTI GUNPARTS carries sets of hardened replacement screws.  However, after the initial removal, without over tightening and with correct screwdrivers, hardened screws are not really needed.

LONE RIDER - VTI carries excellent quality parts.  Been doing business with VTI for 30 years.

Thank you sir

The screws which are involved in disassembly for cleaning a toggle link gun are real nice to have in the hard versions.  They get taken out and reinstalled so often, that factory-soft screws stay pristine only with a TON of extra care during routine maintenance.   

These would be:

side plate screw

lever screw

lever and lifter spring screws

trigger guard screws (2)

tang screw

butt plate screw (1, same screw used to attach lower tang to the stock as they attach butt plate to the stock)

Most others are much less frequently removed.

good luck, GJ

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

First thing I would do is buy a nice set of Hollow Ground screwdrivers.

im wit you - we all need a good set of tools to start with 

Archived