SASS Wire Forum

WWII helmet restoration

Irish Pat

I have Luftwaffe helmet and an American helmet that were painted on when I was a kid. The German helmet luftwaffe sticker is original and in good shape but for some reason I painted “Frog” in big letter on the front. I painted the American helmet Orange! Does anyone know or recommend who could get this back to military condition. Irish ☘️. Pat

39 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

I have Luftwaffe helmet and an American helmet that were painted on when I was a kid. The German helmet luftwaffe sticker is original and in good shape but for some reason I painted “Frog” in big letter on the front. I painted the American helmet Orange! Does anyone know or recommend who could get this back to military condition. Irish ☘️. Pat

Before you do.... send pics! ;)

I restored my US helmet by buying some OD green spray paint from the local hobby store. Looks like the day it was first issued.

The German one is a little tougher since it has a decal on it. Maybe you can carefully remove the graffiti somehow?

Try Pinesol to wipe it off. Don't soak it as it would remove all the paint.

Just popped in for a minute. Glad I saw this. Original WW2 German helmet decals are Very Rare, Very valuable, and faked by the thousands. Do not touch that helmet yet. You can e Mail me some pics and I may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Sixshooterbob@hotmail.com

go with UB direction if you wish to retain value - refinish removes both the blemish and the value generally speaking , some of these are worth more as-is 

To paint the German helmet without ruining the decal, take a cotton swab and vasaline, carefully cover the decal with vasaline. Paint the helmet and once the helmet is fully dry, carefully wipe off the vasaline.

Works great. Good luck, Pard

Archived