SASS Wire Forum

Leather protection in high humidity?

Dusty Sometimes

I'm a shooter in the deep south of Louisiana, and I've got some active sweat glands to say the least, so my gun and shotgun belts are soaked when I get home.  I've got nice Mernickle, double sided gun belts and I hate what the sweat and salt does to them and how long it takes them to air out and dry. 

What can I do to treat the leather, knowing that the inside is the rough side and not the smooth side, that won't bleed into my pants and how can I air them out and take better care of them?  Any tips? 

Dusty Sometimes 

Armor-all makes some leather wipes that are easy to use for a quick bit of protection.

A little saddle soap should help on the veg tan side of your belts.  Don't treat the suede side with any chemicals - simply brush that side.  Some leather makers like Lexol leather treatment to put a little moisture back into the leather after cleaning.

We leather makers use a little Neatsfoot oil to moisture back into holsters after wet fitting, but be aware that neatsfoot and mink oil will darken veg tan leather.

Everybody has their favorite better than all others SNAKE OIL. I have used Huberd's for years, note it will soften leather!

Huberd’s Shoe Grease, 7.5oz: Waterproofs, Softens, Conditions Leather. Protects Shoes, Boots, Sporting Goods, Saddle & Tac...

LEXOL they have a cleaner and a preservative. I have used it for years on all my leather goods. Just spray it on and let it soak in then wipe down and buff if you desire. I learned about it from the saddle and tack guy that worked at President Reagan's ranch in Santa Barbara. Good Stuff. Highly recommend it. 

Good Luck,  Pard! 

My favorite preservative grease and waterproofing is Pecard's leather dressing. 

https://www.amazon.com/PECARD-Leather-Dressing-6-oz/dp/B0081SCR1S

To remove the sweat and salts - whether they came from a horse or a shooter - Fiebings Saddle Soap and water.

good luck, GJ

I'll second what Garrison Joe says...

Pecard leather dressing.

That is what the Smithsonian uses on their antique leather, to preserve and protect it.

It is a leather conditioner, specifically made for leather, to moisturize the leather fibers. 

Getting leather wet, from humidity, or exposure to water, or perspiration, is not a way to moisturize leather, as you probably know.

Using any product, not specifically designed for leather conditioning, can be a mistake.

Remember...saddle soap is just that...soap. It will dry out the leather fibers...so if you use saddle soap, you need to follow up with some leather conditioner, like Pecard's, to moisturize the leather fibers, so the leather won't dry out, and shrink, and crack.

Massage the Pecard's into the leather with your bare hands, and the heat of your hands will work the Pecard's into the leather.

Your goal is to remove the water/moisture from the leather fibers, that will cause the leather to dry, shrink, and crack, and to replace the water/moisture with a leather conditioner that will displace the water, will moisturize the leather fibers, causing them to swell, and to keep the leather supple.

My Two Bits

W.K.

Archived