SASS Wire Forum

Why

Snakebite

With the primer shortage, why haven't we seen the various import primers become available. S&B, Cheddite, Fiocchi, etc. I would guess that Wolf, Tula and all the Russian made primers are not here due to embargo... but that doesn't explain all the rest. 

Snakebite

2 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

With the primer shortage, why haven't we seen the various import primers become available. S&B, Cheddite, Fiocchi, etc. I would guess that Wolf, Tula and all the Russian made primers are not here due to embargo... but that doesn't explain all the rest. 

Snakebite

Taking a guess, but for the same reason as the other mfgr's of primers. Finished ammo is consuming components as margins are greater.

Phantom

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Taking a guess, but for the same reason as the other mfgr's of primers. Finished ammo is consuming components as margins are greater.

Phantom

You may be right. Is ammo and such also hard to get overseas? I know that ours is fed by the huge increase in gun purchases here in the US... are they also up elsewhere... I just don't know, will look around the internet and see what I can find. 

3 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

You may be right. Is ammo and such also hard to get overseas? I know that ours is fed by the huge increase in gun purchases here in the US... are they also up elsewhere... I just don't know, will look around the internet and see what I can find. 

I don't know the market outside of the U.S., but I'm sure that S&B, Fiocchi...Aguila and others sell a good percentage of their products here. When profits are high in certain regions, redirect!

Guessing mind you ;)

I agree with Phantomborg.

If I remember correctly, one or more of our primer makers stated that their 'stuff' is

being prioritized to making ammo.

Unknown to many of us is how production of primers, powder, and ammo ..... and the distribution

of those supplies, has been affected by COVID stuff (rules, guidelines, worker availability, etc..... )

..........Widder

Are these shortages also happening in Canada? If not, why haven't some of you Al Capone types been bootlegging them down here? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Are these shortages also happening in Canada? If not, why haven't some of you Al Capone types been bootlegging them down here? :ph34r:

How do you know they haven't....

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

How do you know they haven't....

:ph34r:

Good point. Someone as pure and gentle as me wouldn't really know. 

Maybe American manufacturers are buying them up to use in their ammo.

Besides primers when is the last time you saw S&B, Fiocci, Privi Partizan or other European brands of ammo on the shelf?

31 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Snakebite,

if you were better friends with Phantom, you would already know how

to get those primers..... :lol:

..........Widder

I wouldn't say anything about Charlie... he has family ties.

18 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Maybe American manufacturers are buying them up to use in their ammo.

Besides primers when is the last time you saw S&B, Fiocci, Privi Partizan or other European brands of ammo on the shelf?

Uhhh...I've had access.

English shooters report they have no problems getting enough shotshells to shoot sporting clays across the pond.   They are kinda wondering what we're complaining about.

good luck, GJ

Must be a pretty stout load if they are shooting them across the pond. That's a long way.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

That's a long way.

Look up George Digweed and his long range shotgun demonstrations.    Yep, that's a long way. 

GJ

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Is ammo and such also hard to get overseas?

In general, not at all. Just some specialties coming from the US were harder to get. My local gun store was (or maybe still is) out of Federal primers, but they have Murom, S&B, Fiocchi and CCI on the shelf. And Federals were always available in online stores (for the same high price as always, of course :( ) There was never a problem to get 9mm and such and no increased prices.

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I know that ours is fed by the huge increase in gun purchases here in the US...

Some thoughts: Maybe it was initiated by the increase in gun purchases, but it's not what keeps it rolling. It's just the toilet paper effect. But while people realized at some point that they have enough toilet paper, they seem to have never enough ammo and components. So, people do not buy what they need but what they can. If a reloader sees a bricks of primer for a reasonable price he'll buy as much as he can, leaving less to nothing for the ones who are really short on it. I mean, there are the new gun owners who bought their first firearm. How much ammo do they buy? Unless they actually join a shooting sport/game, I'd say just a couple of 50 rd boxes. The sales surely increased therefore somewhat, but they haven't emptied the shelves. Are your shooting facilities noticeably more frequented than before the shortage? Do people shoot more at home or on their private ranges? Are there currently more rounds fired over all? Rather the opposite. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess not and stuff is just hoarded. And hoading starts when you stock up more than you usually do.

I'm glad to read that the situation starts to normalize and the longer the more is available again in your stores!

Equanimous Phil

Our shortages are generally US imports (we were about a year behind you in the shortage stakes) although Trail Boss has been hard to get and that's made here in Aust.

There have been issues at the manufacturers of TB and they have said it will take them a while to fix it.

This statement is from 06 July

(3) Gun World Australia – Posts | Facebook

9 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

English shooters report they have no problems getting enough shotshells to shoot sporting clays across the pond.   They are kinda wondering what we're complaining about.

good luck, GJ

I don't hear anyone complaining about buying shotshells, they've been around all during the Covid crap! They're more expensive but what isn't??

12 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite

Some of those are available.  Ammoseek shows Fiocchi, Servicious y Aventuras, CCI, MagTech and Cheddite as available in the US at different retailers. 

Phil, you ask if people were shooting more. YES! Our parent club has been in service since 1934. The past 12 months have been BY FAR the biggest that the club has ever seen. We have a large club that accomodates very large numbers of public shooters, and most stations are full most of the time, with people waiting on weekends. The CCW instructors are going full speed because the Sheriff in our county is pro CCW and issues more that any other place in California. The IPSC group has grow to a very large club, dwarfing all others. Our church had a shooting practice last month. Over 200 people turned out!. New gun owners have not only bought guns and all the ammo they can find, but have bought up about every loading press that is available, and with that, all the supplies the can find. IMO, it is just a matter of time before something big happen. No place on earth has as many fully armed and active shooters as does the US. I don't go to the boys room without being armed and neither does most of my friends. 

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Phil, you ask if people were shooting more. YES! Our parent club has been in service since 1934. The past 12 months have been BY FAR the biggest that the club has ever seen. We have a large club that accomodates very large numbers of public shooters, and most stations are full most of the time, with people waiting on weekends. The CCW instructors are going full speed because the Sheriff in our county is pro CCW and issues more that any other place in California. The IPSC group has grow to a very large club, dwarfing all others. Our church had a shooting practice last month. Over 200 people turned out!. New gun owners have not only bought guns and all the ammo they can find, but have bought up about every loading press that is available, and with that, all the supplies the can find. IMO, it is just a matter of time before something big happen. No place on earth has as many fully armed and active shooters as does the US. I don't go to the boys room without being armed and neither does most of my friends. 

518.jpg

To Snakebite's question about "... ammo hard to get overseas?" early this morning I sent a note to a contact I have at an Italian gunmaker and asked "Is there currently a primer or ammo shortage in Europe?" and got this response:

We are not having shortages, because shooters could not go often to the shooting ranges, also shooting events are still on hold in many places all over Europe.

We were shipping caps to US until 3 or 4 months ago, the customers were purchasing them from our online shop, until UPS decided that they were not accepting this kind of items.

RR

PS: Her reference to "caps" was for percussion caps.

Archived