SASS Wire Forum

What’s deferent in colt 1991A1 and ser 80

Irish Pat

7 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

The 1991A1 is black parkerized finish like the old GI issue. It has a series 80 system

A series 80 gun can be blue, 2 tone, stainless as the series 80 again only

denotes the firing system.

So if I show you a 1991A1 in Stainless...what would you say?

:o

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So if I show you a 1991A1 in Stainless...what would you say?

:o

:D, I gotta love that question! 

If it is Colt, any thing is possible! :FlagAm:

But the serial number would be the final answer.  Match that with what the Colt factory states, as it was sent out, and you "Might" have your answer.

So, it may have been stainless leaving the factory, or maybe it was not stainless as it left the factory.  The serial number would be possibly the only link for the truth.  What is kinda kool, is there may be a story associated with it in that condition.  Maybe it was sent out blued and returned at a later date for stainless processing.  Boom.  You got a story.  Factory correct in both states.

6 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

:D, I gotta love that question! 

If it is Colt, any thing is possible! :FlagAm:

But the serial number would be the final answer.  Match that with what the Colt factory states, as it was sent out, and you "Might" have your answer.

So, it may have been stainless leaving the factory, or maybe it was not stainless as it left the factory.  The serial number would be possibly the only link for the truth.  What is kinda kool, is there may be a story associated with it in that condition.  Maybe it was sent out blued and returned at a later date for stainless processing.  Boom.  You got a story.  Factory correct in both states.

Uhhhh...I've sold a few Colts...

But anyway, without making life too difficult here...you can check out the Colt model O1091.

PS: The 1991 nomenclature was an idiot marketing guys idea...

Phantom

A couple of decades ago, Colt needed a price beater. Colt was losing market share to Springfield’s GI and Mil Spec pistols, not to mention the imports. Initially, the 1991A1 featured cheap plastic grips and a matte finish. However, the grips did not support the plunger tube and were soon replaced by superior rubber stocks. Today’s 1991A1 pistols feature a blue finish and nice wooden stocks. There is also a stainless steel version. The 1991A1 pistol features the Colt Series 80 firing pin block.

I  didn't realize they expanded the lineup.   Don't think they make them anymore ?

41 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

A couple of decades ago, Colt needed a price beater. Colt was losing market share to Springfield’s GI and Mil Spec pistols, not to mention the imports. Initially, the 1991A1 featured cheap plastic grips and a matte finish. However, the grips did not support the plunger tube and were soon replaced by superior rubber stocks. Today’s 1991A1 pistols feature a blue finish and nice wooden stocks. There is also a stainless steel version. The 1991A1 pistol features the Colt Series 80 firing pin block.

I  didn't realize they expanded the lineup.   Don't think they make them anymore 

They also had plastic triggers, and every one I have worked on had poor fire control components. 

From what I remember of when the 1991A1 came out, the heavily marketed it has having a strong military heritage.  They really stressed the connection to the pistols that served in WWII.

And almost immediately the reaction to it was underwhelming.    Among other things it was pointed out how the grips were not really evocative of either the 1911, or the 1911A1, that while it was called the 1991A1, it had a 1911 style flat grip instead of the arched one on the 1911A1, thanks to the Series 80 firing system, it's trigger was long like a 1911, and if they were stressing its military ancestry, why did it not have a lanyard loop?

It was a pistol that was marketed as something that it was not.

4 hours ago, Chacón said:

That sounds like basically all of Colt's marketing for the past 30+ years.

The whole Series 80 was met with less than enthusiastic response.   It was a mashup of cosmetic features from both the 1911 and and the 1911A1, and I don't know of anyone who likes the hammer block safety.   In my opinion, the whole reason that the clone market for 1911's took off, was because they were more like a real Colt than the ones that Colt was selling themselves.   Colt thought it was because the clones were cheaper.  They thought wrong.  Again, in my opinion.

Oddly, when they brought back the Series 70 a few years ago, those started selling well, to say nothing of the ones they sold that were direct replicas of the military editions.

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The whole Series 80 was met with less than enthusiastic response.   It was a mashup of cosmetic features from both the 1911 and and the 1911A1, and I don't know of anyone who likes the hammer block safety.   In my opinion, the whole reason that the clone market for 1911's took off, was because they were more like a real Colt than the ones that Colt was selling themselves.   Colt thought it was because the clones were cheaper.  They thought wrong.  Again, in my opinion.

Oddly, when they brought back the Series 70 a few years ago, those started selling well, to say nothing of the ones they sold that were direct replicas of the military editions.

Their marketing is working if you call other 1911s "clones."  Colt didn't make or design the first 1911.  If others are "clones," Colts are, too.  Which is kinda my issue with Colt in general, they want us all to act like they're the only ones entitled to make 1911s.  I have no less than three brand of 19/2011s in my safe, and none are Colts.  It'll probably stay that way.

13 minutes ago, Chacón said:

Their marketing is working if you call other 1911s "clones."  Colt didn't make or design the first 1911.  If others are "clones," Colts are, too.  Which is kinda my issue with Colt in general, they want us all to act like they're the only ones entitled to make 1911s.  I have no less than three brand of 19/2011s in my safe, and none are Colts.  It'll probably stay that way.

John Browning designed the 1911 and Colt manufactured the 1st 1911's.

Archived