SASS Wire Forum

Lawyer question

Alpo

Let's suppose, just for supposing, that Nubbins Colt and J. Mark Flint go into partnership. I have hired Nubbins as my lawyer. Because Mark is Nubbins' partner, is he also considered my lawyer and is therefore bound by the lawyer/client relationship? Or could he run his mouth about all kinds of terrible things I've done, without risking disbarment?

Generally all attorneys in a firm or partnership will be bound by the attorney client privilege rules as to information learned as a result of representation or potential representation.  In your example I would be okay, however, as my knowledge of your improprieties came from direct observation and or your own admissions before the merger. :) 

3 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Generally all attorneys in a firm or partnership will be bound by the attorney client privilege rules as to information learned as a result of representation or potential representation.  In your example I would be okay, however, as my knowledge of your improprieties came from direct observation and or your own admissions before the merger. :) 

Attorney-client confidentiality is actually not the same thing as attorney-client privilege although they are frequently confused.  In any event, confidentiality generally prohibits one's attorney from revealing anything unless it is to the benefit of the client.  As to how they'd apply to particular facts, you would have to ask your lawyer and present your lawyer with all of the facts to get a particularized answer.  The more vague answer is anything that even "might" violate the rules of professional conduct is risky behavior and no sane lawyer would reveal anything in such circumstances to anyone who didn't need to know.  Our license is our livelihood; without it we would be hungry and in the street with a cup.

You're saying that, since you knew of my misdemeanorings before you and Nubbins partnered up, you could legally talk about them, because you had not learned of them through lawyer/client conversation?

Just makin' sure I understand your legalese. :)

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

You're saying that, since you knew of my misdemeanorings before you and Nubbins partnered up, you could legally talk about them, because you had not learned of them through lawyer/client conversation?

Just makin' sure I understand your legalese. :)

You're the one who tells US about your misdemeanorings!:lol: And we're all richer for it.:)

3 hours ago, Chacón said:

Our license is our livelihood; without it we would be hungry and in the street with a cup.

You could always be a politician..... :D

..........Widder

Archived