SASS Wire Forum

August 15, do not get caught unprepared

August 15 is National Relaxation Day, not just a day to sit back and do nothing, but a day to do the things that leave you rested and relaxed. Whether that is drinking a nice herbal tea and having a bubble bath, or whether you prefer to book yourself a day at the spa, just make sure that you do not do any work on this day, or anything that can make you stressed. This is the perfect day to leave your worries behind!

It is very important to regularly take time to relax, as it improves our mental health, it makes us happier and helps us sleep better and feel rested, improving our productivity.

History

National Relaxation Day is the brainchild of Sean Moeller, who came up with the idea for this holiday in 1985. Sean was only nine-years-old when he suggested that a national day be created so that people can relax, but despite his young age he clearly knew how important it is to rest. At the time, Sean gave an interview to The Des Moines Register stating that people should not do any work or cleaning on National Relaxation Day, as those things are not part of relaxation. 

Sean's grandfather was also the founder of Chase's Calendar of Annual Events, which surely helped National Relaxation Day become a popular unofficial holiday in America. 

National Relaxation Day inspired its British counterpart, National Slacker Day, which was founded in 2001. 

This holiday has gained popularity in the age of social media, as many brands and organizations use the hashtag #NationalRelaxationDay to talk about the importance of relaxing. 

The Best Ways to Relax on National Relaxation Day

• Take some time away from the screens. While social media and the internet have many benefits, you can also quickly feel overwhelmed and stressed by constantly being bombarded with news and posts about other people's lives. Put your phone or computer away, and do something that relaxes you, such as reading, painting, or cooking. Especially avoid any screen time before bed, as it can mess with your sleep patterns. 
  • Try meditating. Many people swear by the power of meditation in helping decrease stress and improving our well-being. The best thing is that you can meditate anywhere! A good place to start is by downloading one of the many apps that guide beginners through the practice of meditation. 
  • Do something you love such as listening to music or reading. Both have been proven to help with relaxation, as they offer an escape from stress and everyday life. Studies have shown that classical music slows the heart rate and lowers blood pressure. 
  • Treat yourself to a spa day. What better way to relax than by having a massage, or sitting in a nice sauna? You can go one step further and book yourself into some beauty treatments, such as a haircut, a facial, or a manicure. 

August 15th...good date. I'm working. Wife can't make me do strenuous stuff...

After August 14th , which is my 45th wedding anniversary, I’ll definitely relax for a day or two!!

I'm retired.  EVERY day is Relaxation Day.

I have some fairly urgent jobs that I've been fiddling with for almost a year.  Somewhere between five minutes and a half hour a day is a practical plan and I should have them all done by Christmas 2025...or thereabouts.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

What shotgun and barrel length do you use?

You'll be sorry you asked!  :P

I use a 12 gauge J. Burrows hammered SxS made between 1867-1875 in England.  It has 30" Damascus barrels that were re-proofed for modern ammo (presumably after the chambers were lengthened to 2.75") at the Birmingham Proof House in England in 2000.  The left barrel is "choked" open and the right barrel is "choked"  cylinder.   British shotguns from that time period did not use a "choke" as we view them now, but instead the barrels were :bored for a specific load at a specific distance.  In other words the barrels were set up for the specific bird the owner was going to hunt.  My average is low 20's with an occasional 23 or 24.

Archived